Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by grenness View Post
    I say let the third party programmers come up with new, creative solutions. I bet that within a month or so ChatterEmail, Butler, etc. has come up with ways of using the 680 LED almost like the 650 LED but without the orange color. A red/green blink, two green blinks and one red blink, things like that can tell you what's going on with your email, voicemail, missed calls, charging etc.

~Christopher
    Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible. There was never an app (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $that$ $did$ $this$ $on$ $the$ $650$ ($red$/$green$, $two$ $green$ $then$ $a$ $red$, $etc$).
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Also forgot to mention…

The LED on the 680 seems to be recessed about a .25 of and inch back away from the actual clear window it is behind which means unless you look directly at the LED you cannot even see it blink or turn green.

Stupid design.

Joe
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by azngu78 View Post
    oh my god.. you want to return the device because of the status light... unbelievable.

but I think you should return it though, I know for sure you will find every tiny bit of problem and will use that as an excuse.
    Other than the LED, this 680 looks really awesome next to my old 650. But, I'm addicted to being able to set the device down in a meeting and watch the LED and know what was going on. I can't do that as well on the 680. I'm a heavy heavy corporate e-mail user, and at this point, Xpressmail/Seven cannot even control the LED on the 680.
    well dont u think u can live with out the led change i mean its a great phone and once the bigger battery comes out dang its going to be dang near unstoppable
    heheh new treo 680

Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    Other than the LED, this 680 looks really awesome next to my old 650. But, I'm addicted to being able to set the device down in a meeting and watch the LED and know what was going on. I can't do that as well on the 680. I'm a heavy heavy corporate e-mail user, and at this point, Xpressmail/Seven cannot even control the LED on the 680.
    There is an idea... you should pay attention in the meeting instead of staring at your phone... Crazy, huh ?
    My LED is always off. It annoys me.

I can't believe someone is raising such a hissy fit over it. You must seriously not have any problems if your life if this is a big deal.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I couldn't stand that blinking LED.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post

I can't believe someone is raising such a hissy fit over it. You must seriously not have any problems if your life if this is a big deal.
    Well then I'd say that's enviable. Even at $400 or so, it's a lot of money for a telephone. A guy should be able to get exactly what he wants out of a phone at that price.
    i loved how butler could be set to give a fast flash when i had missed something (anything.. sms, call, voicemail, whatever). and also the ability to turn off the LED between certain hours.

are these features still going to be available? i can't see why they wouldn't be, but i think someone in this thread mentioned an inability to flash the LED fast? or was that only pertaining to using different colors? i also am colorblind as to where i can't tell the difference in LED colors. i just need it to flash quickly, or shut off
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Agreed. I am happy that the only time it is on is when it is charging, or out of the network.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by azngu78 View Post
    There is an idea... you should pay attention in the meeting instead of staring at your phone... Crazy, huh ?
    That's the beauty of the informative LED. Out of the corner of my eye, I can nonchalantly tell whether I've got new voicemail, new corporate e-mail, new Chatter, etc.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Well then I'd say that's enviable. Even at $400 or so, it's a lot of money for a telephone. A guy should be able to get exactly what he wants out of a phone at that price.
    Yep, I'm not willing to pay $400 for a step backwards on functionality, despite the lovely improved form factor.
    im sure someone will fix it soon -
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    maybe someone will hack the keyboard light to blink and alert you of sms or emails?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    maybe someone will hack the keyboard light to blink and alert you of sms or emails?
    I sure hope so. But it sounds like, from the developers, it's just not possible. But, once that's fixed, i'll re-purchase a 680, and maybe the price will have come down.
    That's the beauty of the informative LED. Out of the corner of my eye, I can nonchalantly tell whether I've got new voicemail, new corporate e-mail, new Chatter, etc.
    ...and then you get up an leave the meeting to check the new voice/email? If not, what's the point? It would only be a distraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post
    Agreed. I am happy that the only time it is on is when it is charging, or out of the network.
    I like mine always off also, except have it set with Butler to go solid orange for a voicemail.
    Wah wah wah. Has it occurred to anyone the target customer for the 680 is not a corporate user but a first-time smartphone user? These are the folks who have never installed a third-party app....
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    ...and then you get up an leave the meeting to check the new voice/email? If not, what's the point? It would only be a distraction.
    I would always leave a meeting to take an email. But then again, the meetings are generally about me.
    I can't. In a meeting, I could set the device on the table and just see what was happening, without it making noise or vibrating. That was awesome.
    i don't get it. what REAL purpose does a different/blinking LED light offer you in a business meeting? i'm at a loss. what do you mean you could "see what was happening, without it making noise or vibrating" ? i'm trying to understand is all. don't you need to pick up the phone to actually see the emails or who may have called? perhaps the blinking LED sends morse code signals and that's what i've failed to realize.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast