1.    #1  
    Hi. One of my laments with using the Gmail Java app and Yahoo! is that the only option for visible notification on the Treo of new emails is relying on the lame and unreliable Versamail, since I refuse to shell out more money for an email program. But, that's just me.

However, you can set GMAIL and Yahoo! to send an SMS to notify you of emails based on filters or forwarding to your Treo for FREE, at least on Sprint. I am not sure what other providers sms addressing work-arounds are. Your results may vary.

Gmail: FREE: You can forward ALL messages or Setup a Filter to receive notification of only certain types of mail or senders in the SETTINGS section. For sprint, specify the email address for your Treo's cell number as follows: #######@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Yahoo: FREE: You can only setup a filter for free on Yahoo!. Forwarding all messages requires a paid upgrade. For the free filter, in Options, setup up to 15 filters. Check the "Send an alert to my Mobile Device" radion button on the Edit page for each filter and input just your Treo's number, not as an email address.

Keep in mind what the SMS costs are for your phone plan! I pay $5/month for 300 from Sprint.
    Yeah...

You can have your free Yahoo email alert you of new emails thru sms or email.

I have Yahoo alerting me of new emails with sms. And Free. You need to go into your Yahoo account on a PC to set up the filter(s) as Blazer does not support this operation.

Your free Yahoo account gives you 15 filters you can set up.

I have GMail autosyncing with Versamail.

Wow, thanks for this tip. Works great.
    The only problem with gmail is that sprint rejects certain SMS's over 160 characters. I have experimented with this and it appears to be true. Anyone else notice this and/or have a workround? I'm pretty sure the SMS's that yahoo sends are the correct size.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I setup my gmail account to send me an sms for every email received. I actually get the sms about 50% of the time. Maybe this is why.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I setup my gmail account to send me an sms for every email received. I actually get the sms about 50% of the time. Maybe this is why.
    I get all the SMS's I am supposed to, it just cuts off the message. I would check your filter criteria, if one character is off, it won't work.
    Thought you might find this interesting. Have not tried it. Let us know if it works:

http://www-rocq.inria.fr/who/Arnaud....ects/PushMail/

It's a small app that runs in the background and intercepts a certain SMS that triggers a mail sync. Simulates push mail. Forward the message as an SMS to your carrier and when the phone received the SMS, this app should cause the mail app to do a send & receive.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    I get all the SMS's I am supposed to, it just cuts off the message. I would check your filter criteria, if one character is off, it won't work.
    I have no filter setup at all.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I have no filter setup at all.
    Well maybe that;'s the problem. For me, I don't want to get an sms for every email i get, it would be overload. Do you meant you just foward all email to the phone's email address via the carrier as described in my first post?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    Well maybe that;'s the problem. For me, I don't want to get an sms for every email i get, it would be overload. Do you meant you just foward all email to the phone's email address via the carrier as described in my first post?
    yes i just set it to forward all, no filter at all. i need notification of everything. i'm not getting millions of emails so i'm not worried about crashing the system.
    to revive an old thread, I started using this feature, but I guess it counts as out of network sms?