Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not using my Treo for work, nor do I think I would consider myself a "power-user." Therefore, I'm not sure which Data Plan to purchase, or at least to downgrade to once I get the rebate. 5MB/10MB? I plan on using it to send some emails, check scores, check movie times, sent text messages, etc. Basically, simple things. Any ideas? Thanks!
    determining how many sms/txt msg's you plan on sending and receiving is probably a good first step.
  3.    #3  
    If I get a data plan do I need to sign up for the Text Messaging capability also? Or is that part of the data plan? I currently have 200/month (I think) and that works fine for me.
    ah you're referring to the "data connect" plans. i apologize, i was thinking of the media max-type plans which come bundled with sms/txt plans.

with the 'data connect 5mb' plan priced at 19.99, and the 'data connect 10mb' plan priced at 24.99, i would choose the 10mb plan (double the data for $5). and obviously, if you're not using more than 5mb/month after a couple of months, you can save yourself that $5.
  5.    #5  
    Are text messages figured into the PDA Data Connect plans with Cingular or do I need to add that feature to my package? Thanks!
    Why not use the Media Max 200? Gives you 200 txt messages and unlimited Internet for 19.99/mth.

http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...=MEdia+Bundles
    But will Media Max let me download and send mail from my company IMAP server using CHattermail or something?

I made a separate post about this "Cingular plan/email question-need advice" - but no one will respond to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!!
  8.    #8  
    So with Media Max I can use the Internet all I want to check scores, movie times, gmail, etc? I guess, then, my questions is - what is the difference between the Media Max and the PDA bundle? Thanks!
    vks3: i'm currently checking an IMAP mailbox with a mediamax plan, though i'm not using chattermail on my 650

smithbryanj: yes, the media max plans include unlimited data. the difference between those and the pda plan is that the pda plan does not include any txt/sms bundles, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $i$ $believe$ $you$ $must$ $add$ $one$ $of$ $those$ $to$ $your$ $account$ $seperately$. $keep$ $in$ $mind$, $i$'$m$ $pretty$ $sure$ $cingular$ $frowns$ $upon$ $using$ $a$ $media$ $max$ $plan$ $with$ $a$ $smartphone$ $or$ $pda$ $like$ $the$ $treo$, $as$ $they$'$d$ $rather$ $you$ $pay$ $more$ $for$ $the$ $pda$ $plan$'$s$ $unlimited$ $data$, $then$ $tack$ $on$ $a$ $txt$/$sms$ $plan$.
    I had the PDA 39.99 unlimited plan when I had my Blackberry then moved to the Treo. I tried for months to get Cingular to switch me to the 19.99 plan as many have done here but to no avail. The website would not allow me to chnage it either. Finally, a couple days ago I called Cing CS because I could not send any txt messages at all nor receive any. the guy on the phone said that feature had been turned off. I was on a pay per use deal since I don't use txt messaging that much. I asked him why couldn't I just go on the 19.99 plan that gives the 200 txt messages with the plan since I don't need the VPN client. He said sure! Like I said I had been trying for months to get them to switch me but no one would. Finally call on a different matter and bam! I get it.
    I just added the Media Max 200 for $19.99 on my razr. I could not add this via the website so I called my local store. They did it with no problems. I will just switch it over to the 680 when it gets here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuredood View Post
    I just added the Media Max 200 for $19.99 on my razr. I could not add this via the website so I called my local store. They did it with no problems. I will just switch it over to the 680 when it gets here.
    Interesting take on things, but the question about on whether corporate email (or Chatter, etc.) works with a MediaMax plan still seems to be open. ANyone got new info?
    Quote Originally Posted by geeper View Post
    Interesting take on things, but the question about on whether corporate email (or Chatter, etc.) works with a MediaMax plan still seems to be open. ANyone got new info?
    Yes, everything works with the MediaMax plans. The only thing that I suspect does not is Xpress Mail. Any 3rd party programs will work as they are simply seen as general data by Cingular. No ports are blocked on the MediaMax plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeper View Post
    Depends on how your work email is set up - for example, to use Chatter with Exchange you might have to have the more expensive $40 plan (only way Chatter will work with Exchange OWA). But - you might be able to get around this:

1) An Exchance server configured as IMAP and SMTP (see ChatterEmail documentation for instructions your support people will need)
    or

2) Have your Exchange server (or other system) automatically copy (forward) mail to an imap server such as fastmail - then Chatter can get it pushed with the MediaMax $20 plan. Downside to this is your mail gets copied, so if you read/edit mail on the Treo your Exchange server won't reflect that messages have been read/deleated etc. You can configure this to look like you are responding from work if you set up your Chatter SMTP profiles to look like like your work email.

J
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    Depends on how your work email is set up - for example, to use Chatter with Exchange you might have to have the more expensive $40 plan (only way Chatter will work with Exchange OWA). But - you might be able to get around this:

1) An Exchance server configured as IMAP and SMTP (see ChatterEmail documentation for instructions your support people will need)
    or

2) Have your Exchange server (or other system) automatically copy (forward) mail to an imap server such as fastmail - then Chatter can get it pushed with the MediaMax $20 plan. Downside to this is your mail gets copied, so if you read/edit mail on the Treo your Exchange server won't reflect that messages have been read/deleated etc. You can configure this to look like you are responding from work if you set up your Chatter SMTP profiles to look like like your work email.

J
    I don;t have chatter and may not get it as push is not all that critical. Will the standard Versamail client work with Mediamax?
    And being connected to programs such as Mundu, or Verichat 24/7 will that bring a huge amount of data usage?
    m100 Zire 72 Treo 650 Treo 680
    Does Cingular charge for incoming text messages now? Because if they do, your 200 txt plan is actually only about 100 if you plan on receiving replies. This is one of the many reasons I am not switching from my old AT&T plan. One workaround for this is to use a program like Verichat. It uses your data plan to send and receive IMs. But you can't use it while on a call,
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post

or

J
    Help me out. What does the $40 plan do that the MediaMax doesn't when it come to Chatter/Exchange? I'm not an IT guy and have never used Chatter. The Palm website seems to state that you can set up Exchange Activesync via Versamail.
    So if I use .mac IMAP and Chatter, when I check an email on the Treo does it appear as read on my other IMAP macs?
    There is no difference between the $40 PDA Connect plan and the $20 MediaMax plan except that Cingular allows you to use their Xpress Mail server/service on the PDA Connect plan. I know this from experience, not just from reading it on a forum.

As far as being concerned about using large amounts of data, currently MediaMax includes the Cingular Video service which many current Cingular handsets have access to, and many Cingular users who have MediaMax plans on regular phones (non-smartphones) also subscribe to MobiTV. So using a lot of data is not going to throw up any red flags unless the amount is really outrageous. For example, I would suggest not using it to tether to a laptop. But for normal use on a Treo -- even including streaming audio & video -- I would not worry about it.

I currently use a Nokia 9300 smartphone with a regular $20/month MediaNet plan (the old plan before they changed it to MediaMax) and I have had no problems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast