Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    There is no difference between the $40 PDA Connect plan and the $20 MediaMax plan except that Cingular allows you to use their Xpress Mail server/service on the PDA Connect plan. I know this from experience, not just from reading it on a forum.

As far as being concerned about using large amounts of data, currently MediaMax includes the Cingular Video service which many current Cingular handsets have access to, and many Cingular users who have MediaMax plans on regular phones (non-smartphones) also subscribe to MobiTV. So using a lot of data is not going to throw up any red flags unless the amount is really outrageous. For example, I would suggest not using it to tether to a laptop. But for normal use on a Treo -- even including streaming audio & video -- I would not worry about it.

I currently use a Nokia 9300 smartphone with a regular $20/month MediaNet plan (the old plan before they changed it to MediaMax) and I have had no problems.
    Thanks. I am looking at an unloced version so will probably not use XpressMail anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeper View Post
    Help me out. What does the $40 plan do that the MediaMax doesn't when it come to Chatter/Exchange? I'm not an IT guy and have never used Chatter. The Palm website seems to state that you can set up Exchange Activesync via Versamail.
    Versamail can do exchange activesync but it's not the best. Before when I used versamail just for simple pop 3 email. It would never work and I would always get an error. Autosyncing up from 10 mins all the way to 60.

Chatter works great on the $40 pda plan. If you want almost seamless email try it out
    I get notification within a minute or so with Versamail. Works great for me and it's free. The only thing I miss is it syncing with my Outlook calendar, but for $20/mth for an exchange service, it's not worth it.
    They have a smartphone unlimited w/xpressmail for 19.99 Unlimited data/internet use and xpressmail (if you use it, i don't), but doesn't include text messages. That is a little cheater than the PDA plan.
    m100 Zire 72 Treo 650 Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by employedslacker View Post
    They have a smartphone unlimited w/xpressmail for 19.99 Unlimited data/internet use and xpressmail (if you use it, i don't), but doesn't include text messages. That is a little cheater than the PDA plan.
    Yes, that's probably a good plan if you need Xpress Mail.

This is how rediculous Cingular's data plans are:

If you get the Cingular 3125 -- a Windows Mobile Smartphone -- they want you to get the Smartphone Connect plan for $19.99.

If you get the Samsung Blackjack -- also a Windows Mobile Smartphone -- they want you to get the $39.99 PDA Connect plan.

This is confirmed if you go to Cingular's website and try to purchase either of these phones.

Why?

As it was explained to me at the Cingular store, Cingular considers any phone that has a keyboard or a touch screen to be a "PDA" and not a "Smartphone".

But since both phones have the same capability (they have the same operating system), then obviously both plans allow for the same data access.
    Just get MediaMax200. It'll work just fine. You don't need an XPress Mail data plan anyway to use XPress Mail. XPress mail is free to use with any unlimited data plan. The versions of the data plans with "XPress Mail" in the description are just a trick to make you pay more (I'm serious.)
    For excruciating detial about PDA plans vs Media Max plans, search my posts (TaylorH) for the following 3 keywords: isp.cingular, wap.cingular, PPTP
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3 View Post
    Does Cingular charge for incoming text messages now? Because if they do, your 200 txt plan is actually only about 100 if you plan on receiving replies. This is one of the many reasons I am not switching from my old AT&T plan. One workaround for this is to use a program like Verichat. It uses your data plan to send and receive IMs. But you can't use it while on a call,
    another way to get around paying per text is to send "email" to the wireless number. for example, all cingular phone numbers have an email associated with it (eg. 2125551212@cingularme.com, or something like that)

if you have unlimited data, you can send emails to the wireless phone and it is not considered a text message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Treo View Post
    Versamail can do exchange activesync but it's not the best. Before when I used versamail just for simple pop 3 email. It would never work and I would always get an error. Autosyncing up from 10 mins all the way to 60.

Chatter works great on the $40 pda plan. If you want almost seamless email try it out
    So why do I need the $40 plan to use Chatter? I'm still confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeper View Post
    So why do I need the $40 plan to use Chatter? I'm still confused.
    You don't. The $19.99 MediaMax plan will work fine. So will the $19.99 Smartphone Connect plan.
    You only need the $40 PDA plan for chatter if you want to use the Exchange plug-in that he offers for Chatter (it's in the support FAQ at the chatter web site.) Apparently it only works on the isp.cingular access point which is only given to you with the PDA plan.
    But wap.cingular still works fine for everything else (wap.cingular comes with ALL data plans) including IMAP PUSH (works on wap.cingular.)

So unless you need PPTP VPN or exchange plugin for chatter (IPSec VPN and IMAP push on chagger work on wap.cingular) then you'll be fine with any of the $20 data plans (Media Max and Smartphone connect.)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12