1.    #1  
    I just called Palm to ask about my order... not like we all haven't been doing that.

"Your order will be shipped in 1-2 weeks from your order date"

Great, so can you tell me why the palm stores have them?

"We don't have them available online yet."

2. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Oooh, that's not goooood.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anamcara View Post
    I just called Palm to ask about my order... not like we all haven't been doing that.

"Your order will be shipped in 1-2 weeks from your order date"

Great, so can you tell me why the palm stores have them?

"We don't have them available online yet."

Logically (and I know we are dealing with Palm here) that just doesn't make sense. How many different stories, excuses and scenarios have we heared from Palm customer service? I think they just tell us whatever they feel like at any given time just to get us off of the phone. Wouldn't make much sense to have units in stores but non available yet to be shipped for so the called online pre-orders. Just my opinion. I guess I'll just hold on to hope for the Dec. 1st date since that is the official beginning 1-2 week shipment date we've been given by Palm. Heck, what more can we do.
    Yeah, that's a bunch of . If we are considered "pre-orders" (which is what the phone monkey at Palm told me), why the hell can't they ship us ours at the same time as the stores? They're either available for shipment or not, right?

More of the same crap, I guess. Oh well, I've got no other choice so I guess I'll just sit here waiting for mine to show up.
    Pre-order people are pretty much committed to buy so they have no incentive to get it out sooner. That's the stupid business approach rather than ensuring you take care of loyal customers. Clearly they're idiots, though, so it's par for course.
  6.    #6  
    Oh I'm going to have my fiancee call Palm and ***** them out. We both work in a call center and know how it works. He's not nice when stuff like this happens. Once he's done, I'll let you guys know what happens.
  7. sda
    Quote Originally Posted by anamcara View Post
    Oh I'm going to have my fiancee call Palm and ***** them out. We both work in a call center and know how it works. He's not nice when stuff like this happens. Once he's done, I'll let you guys know what happens.
    According to a staffer at one of Palm's retail stores, the carrier (Cingular) got a one week grace period to sell the 680. That's why it's in retail stores (Cingular) and not shipping yet online from Palm. I ordered mine from Cingular last week and it arrived on Monday. My local Palm outlet still doesn't have any units while the local Cingular outlets have had a few dribble in (and sell quickly). I suggest those that are up in arms wait until Monday or Tuesday to see if shipments start arriving. If not, then start the battle cry and let the fur fly!

And as for online order confirmation....mine still says "Pending" and I've had my unit for 4 days...definitely not a reliable indicator!
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    With the Cingluar "grace period" I totally agree with you. But now the Unlocked are showing up in limited stores, so there's no excuse for them not to ship to online customers. Except, as was suggested, Palm would rather get them out to potential buyers than give them to those of us who have already committed to a purchase.

Palm will be cancelling my online order, since I'm getting one here at SFO today. If they give me any crap about that, they're going to get an earful.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sda View Post
    And as for online order confirmation....mine still says "Pending" and I've had my unit for 4 days...definitely not a reliable indicator!
    That reminds me... Who signed up on the website to be notified by Palm when they would be released? (I did.) Who has received that notification yet? (I haven't.)

as previously mentioned, par for the course...
  10. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RawData View Post
    That reminds me... Who signed up on the website to be notified by Palm when they would be released? (I did.) Who has received that notification yet? (I haven't.)

as previously mentioned, par for the course...
    Seriously, i'm learning my lesson on pre-ordering with Palm through the website.
    I got the notification.
    I think it was a stupid move on palms part to only offer the colored versions through the website or Palm stores. I think they could have a lot more sales if they offered them through Cingular also.
    I don't think this was a Palm decision. It could be Cingular.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Even more annoying that we can't get colored ones outside of the US either. I need to wait for when a friend is trekking over to the States next!
  15. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Too bad we couldn't just preorder online and pick it up at the store. Then we could have a launch party!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sda View Post
    According to a staffer at one of Palm's retail stores, the carrier (Cingular) got a one week grace period to sell the 680. That's why it's in retail stores (Cingular) and not shipping yet online from Palm. I ordered mine from Cingular last week and it arrived on Monday. My local Palm outlet still doesn't have any units while the local Cingular outlets have had a few dribble in (and sell quickly). I suggest those that are up in arms wait until Monday or Tuesday to see if shipments start arriving. If not, then start the battle cry and let the fur fly!

It's in PALM retail stores. I've called a bunch of them.