1.    #1  
    I have repeatedly tried to install the jvm from the palm web site on my treo 650, once it is seemingly installed I touch the icon for it and an error message pops up that says the "Java program cannot run. Please ensure that Palmmidp20_22 is installed.

Does anybody have a solution to this?

Thanks
    Send me a PM with your email address in it and I will forward you the Java installation files I use. Load those files into the device's main memory, set some parameters - global preferences - used by all of the Java apps:

enable - use double buffering
    enable - use high resolution cordinates
    set memory maximum: I use 8mb
    Set maximum Java thread stack size: between 16 & 32kb - I use 32

The install the Java application to the device, normally from the Internet via Blazer, select save to the device when asked to save to the card or the device.

Then run the app - running it may have to be done from IBM Java VM.

Ben
    I am also have problems getting the java launcher to install on my 700P. When I click on the icon, i get a blank screen then back to the launcher, no installation. I've installed both required files & reset multiple times, without success.

Help!!!!! I want to try the new Opera mini on my 700P!

Thanks,
    James
    Clicking the icon does the same for me. Java is generally accessed from the Preferences menu, at the bottom. Java does leave an icon, but there should be no need to mess with it. Opera is working great in my 700P.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Clicking the icon does the same for me. Java is generally accessed from the Preferences menu, at the bottom. Java does leave an icon, but there should be no need to mess with it. Opera is working great in my 700P.
    Java is not even shown in my Preferences. I am soooooooooo baffled! Opera keeps teeling me I need to install Java. I HAVE INSTALLED JAVA

James
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekzter View Post
    Java is not even shown in my Preferences. I am soooooooooo baffled! Opera keeps teeling me I need to install Java. I HAVE INSTALLED JAVA
    Did you install via HotSync? I think it is necessary for JVM. (Just copying from card etc. won't do)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Did you install via HotSync? I think it is necessary for JVM. (Just copying from card etc. won't do)
    Java was installed from the card. I do not like to hotsync, I perfer installing from the card. Hopefully there is a solution for installation from the card.
    Java was installed from the card. I do not like to hotsync, I perfer installing from the card. Hopefully there is a solution for installation from the card.
    I copied from card and that didn't work. After HotSyncing the files, I noticed some additional files had been created.
    I am amazed at how some of us have no problems installing Java and others do and not to be rude, some of those are doing the installation correctly. What a bummer. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I copied from card and that didn't work. After HotSyncing the files, I noticed some additional files had been created.
    I just email the files to my treo and installed from the email. Everything installed correctly this time. I guess emailing the files to yourself & installing them from the email on your Treo is an alternatitive to Hotsyncing.

Surfing with Opera now thanks for your help!

James
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Send me a PM with your email address in it and I will forward you the Java installation files I use. Load those files into the device's main memory, set some parameters - global preferences - used by all of the Java apps:

enable - use double buffering
    enable - use high resolution cordinates
    set memory maximum: I use 8mb
    Set maximum Java thread stack size: between 16 & 32kb - I use 32

The install the Java application to the device, normally from the Internet via Blazer, select save to the device when asked to save to the card or the device.

Then run the app - running it may have to be done from IBM Java VM.

Ben
    There are some great tips here. I had never configured my JVM through prefs before and was using Opera in the lame lo-res mode. What a big improvement, and of course the gmail client is barely worth using until these settings are made.

Anyone know of a way to set the JVM to always allow permission for http and https? It looks like the only options are 'not allowed - never prompt', 'oneshot' and 'session', none of which result in something like 'always allowed - never prompt'.

Also, anyone figure out how to launch the gmail java client using a keylauncher? When I try to assign it to a favorite button, it is not recognized as an application (though it does get its own [somewhat generic] icon in applications).
    What I did is to set a launch key for the IBM Java VM and launch it that way.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by zer0gage View Post
    Anyone know of a way to set the JVM to always allow permission for http and https? It looks like the only options are 'not allowed - never prompt', 'oneshot' and 'session', none of which result in something like 'always allowed - never prompt'.
    See post # 27 of this thread (and follow through).

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=gmail
    Quote Originally Posted by azsatellite View Post
    I have repeatedly tried to install the jvm from the palm web site on my treo 650, once it is seemingly installed I touch the icon for it and an error message pops up that says the "Java program cannot run. Please ensure that Palmmidp20_22 is installed.

Does anybody have a solution to this?

Thanks
    I have the exact same problem. I have tried following instructions I have found here to a T, and I have even soft resetted about a bunch of times. Am I missing something?
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    I've tried all the scenarios listed on this thread and I get this error:
    Exception in static initializer:java.lang.RuntimeException:Missing strings.dat
    Cingular Branded,,,er I mean Att branded Centro
    I just email the files to my treo and installed from the email. Everything installed correctly this time. I guess emailing the files to yourself & installing them from the email on your Treo is an alternatitive to Hotsyncing.

Surfing with Opera now thanks for your help!

James
    I tried that more times than I can count, spending hours setting up email account and pop access and sending my brother my pw to make it all work and had him download and unzip the files while I was on the road, and it never worked.

Now that I'm home, it installed like a charm over the cable. What was your trick? I installed over and over and while it was in my device it's icon would never show up and Opera would never run.

I was in Vegas with a phone that would do www, but not let me press any javascript buttons so I couldn't reply to messages, and that wouldn't let me send or receive texts or place or receive calls. But now AT&T is sending me a new battery and the orange version of my 680.
    Thanks.

It works after I installed JVM via hotsync.

It doesn't work via SD installation
    There's got to be a way to install the latest JVM without hotsyncing. I have an older version of JVM installed, but I have not been able to replace it with the latest version, from the SD card.

Anyone have a clue?

Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    There's got to be a way to install the latest JVM without hotsyncing. I have an older version of JVM installed, but I have not been able to replace it with the latest version, from the SD card.

Anyone have a clue?

Thx,
    Shneor
    Bluetooth file transfer or a FileZ copy off an SD card works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Bluetooth file transfer or a FileZ copy off an SD card works for me.
    FileZ off the SD card is what I tried. I first moved JavaVMcheck, then J9JavaVMMidp2. When it finished copying, my Treo crashed. When it came up, there were a number of Java files, but the VM was not installed - nothing in Prefs, and a "no java installed" message when I tried to run an app.

OTOH, I did not remove a bunch of JRMS files...

Shneor
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad