1.    #1  
    I wondered if those of you who went from the Treo 650 to the 700p miss being able to initiate dial-up networking (, phone as modem, tethering, or whatever else it's being called, these days) without having to buy and use PdaNet.

It is kinda of a non-issue for you or do you kinda frown, once in a while, because you have to install the Treo software, pair, then install the PdaNet software on any computer before you can use your Treo as a modem?

Just wondering since I'm considering moving on to the 700p within the next couple of months. (My girlfriend's considering one, also, but she's never owned a 650, so it's hard for her to miss something she never had.)

Thanks, in advance.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    huh, bluetooth works fine without any other software with my 700p
    Sprint 700p
    I really like PdaNet! with it i never get disconnect (if i have signal)
    Ymeagle

Treo 700p Sprint Favorite apps in order: phone, navigator (tomtomGPS) , NV Backup, Docstogo, Versa, keycaps, minitones, PdaNet, Butler, palmPDF, volcare, AOL im, DA, BOLD MEANS FREE
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL View Post
    huh, bluetooth works fine without any other software with my 700p
    You're saying you use your 700p as a modem, without requiring any third-party software?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ymeagle View Post
    I really like PdaNet! with it i never get disconnect (if i have signal)
    The previous poster has me wondering: CAN you use your 700p as a modem without using PdaNet or any other third-party software?
    what happened to the FREE thather mode hack?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115986
    Nope....

I don't miss PDANet on the 700p. Not one little bit. BT DUN connection is working just fine.....

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The previous poster has me wondering: CAN you use your 700p as a modem without using PdaNet or any other third-party software?

Yes... I use my 700p as a modem without any problems. I use it with the USB cable and then sometimes I use the blue tooth as well. I have no problems with connecting and I use it sometimes when I'm downloading some music. No problems at all.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Yes... I use my 700p as a modem without any problems. I use it with the USB cable and then sometimes I use the blue tooth as well. I have no problems with connecting and I use it sometimes when I'm downloading some music. No problems at all.
    Thanks.

Did you (or any of you) use the hack another poster mentioned (which I hadn't even heard about) or was your 700p always able to perform DUN functions without any hacking or third-party software?
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Thanks.

Did you (or any of you) use the hack another poster mentioned (which I hadn't even heard about) or was your 700p always able to perform DUN functions without any hacking or third-party software?

I was able to use my 700p without any hacks or third-party apps since day one.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Verizon/Sprint have software apps that enable DUN in the 700p, but it costs extra per month. The software comes in the Verizon CD but to activate it you have to acknoledge the extra $15 per month this feature carries...

I did not try the hack given the uncertainities of doing this in a somewhat finicky platform (700p ROM update, where art thou?)

PDAnet for me works great...
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    correct, sprint 700p via bluetooth to laptop. laptop bluetooth modem setup using windows dialup networking dial #777

no software from sprint or anyone
    you only need the sprint software for usb, which i use on my desktop if my dsl goes down
    Sprint 700p
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL View Post
    correct, sprint 700p via bluetooth to laptop. laptop bluetooth modem setup using windows dialup networking dial #777

no software from sprint or anyone
    you only need the sprint software for usb, which i use on my desktop if my dsl goes down
    I appreciate all the replies, folks. Clearly, I've read too many Treo reviews and had forgotten which ones had DUN enabled or whatever. I guess I was thinking about my original impression that DUN would only be free with PdaNet. I dunno.

I'm curious if any of you have gotten charged by Sprint for DUN'g without PdaNet.
    I ask because, some months back, at least a couple of us around here were told, by Sprint employees, that Sprint wasn't charging for DUN service.

(The two different employees, from two different stores, that *I* spoke to, said that Sprint just didn't have a way, in their system, to manage the billing in a such a way that we'd get charged for DUN'g.)
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I absolutely couldn't function without it. I use it sparingly (like when I'm in demos) but I have never once been charged.

SMEGGIE