Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1.    #1  
    I am extremely blown away by all of this information on this forum and do not understand any of it...so my questions will probably seem extremely elementary so I apologize in advance. I have had my treo for a few weeks...it is an unlocked cingular treo 650 I purchased from ebay.

    1)What is a ROM...I see all these posts talking about custom ROMS but don't have a clue as to why I should get one?

    2)Memory seems to be an issue...for instance, I directed the Epocrates program installation to my SD 250mg card yet I see many Epocrates files on my internal memory...how do I get programs to stay on my memory card exclusively so I can keep my internal memory as free as possible?

    3)I have read a post re: wireless internet access (Shadowmite) but am now more confused after reading it...is it possible to have wireless access using my treo...would this entail purchasing a wireless card? What are the problems people are experiencing with this hack?

    4)I have versamail on my phone and I am able to check email from outlook express when synching...I would like to be able to reply wirelessly but do not see a way except for getting on the internet through the phone...is there not another way to send email messages through the wireless network in my home?

    5)I don't think I have bluetooth on my computer (how would I find this out?) I would like to be able to wirelessly synch my device...any other way to do this?

    I know this is a lot of questions and I greatly appreciate your responses. I have read the "recommended sticky" but did not seem to understand many of the posts.

    Thank you in advance...JCF
  2. #2  
    ROM is the Treo's "operating system" (Read Only Memory)

    Custom ROMs: many people like to tinker, they are a hack to the device and are only necessary if you are running out of room in your 23mb of user space.

    Not familiar with Epocrates, but sometimes - a small file is left in internal memory to manage and access the files you moved to the SD card. . . . .

    FileZ (A freeware file viewer and manager) will allow you to see all files (those in ROM, as well) and their size. Do not move or delete files with this program unless you are sure what you are doing.

    www.nosleep.net
    click on downloads
    select FileZ


    There are programs called file launchers that allow you to move programs to the SD card -- but then open and use them like they were in internal memory. Not all programs will allow this -- you will just have to experiment.

    Are you using Documents to Go? Later versions have a drop down menu utility to move much of the 4mb of programs to the SD card and still access them. Version 7 requuires this utility to do that:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/30/2006 at 09:29 AM.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by fowlerjc View Post
    1)What is a ROM...I see all these posts talking about custom ROMS but don't have a clue as to why I should get one?
    At your stage of the game, don't even think about it. Strictly bleeding-edge stuff


    Quote Originally Posted by fowlerjc View Post
    2)Memory seems to be an issue...for instance, I directed the Epocrates program installation to my SD 250mg card yet I see many Epocrates files on my internal memory...how do I get programs to stay on my memory card exclusively so I can keep my internal memory as free as possible?
    The program itself probably has to reside in RAM.


    Quote Originally Posted by fowlerjc View Post
    3)I have read a post re: wireless internet access (Shadowmite) but am now more confused after reading it...is it possible to have wireless access using my treo...would this entail purchasing a wireless card? What are the problems people are experiencing with this hack?
    Shadowmite's WiFi hack is more bleeding-edge stuff, not something to use in a "normal" environment. For now, Palm Treos are a no-WiFi zone (there is a WiFi "sled" available in the Store, but it's bulky), though you can make it work on WinMobile Treos (without the Shadowmite hack) with an SD WiFi card.

    Quote Originally Posted by fowlerjc View Post
    4)I have versamail on my phone and I am able to check email from outlook express when synching...I would like to be able to reply wirelessly but do not see a way except for getting on the internet through the phone...is there not another way to send email messages through the wireless network in my home?
    No.


    Quote Originally Posted by fowlerjc View Post
    5)I don't think I have bluetooth on my computer (how would I find this out?) I would like to be able to wirelessly synch my device...any other way to do this?
    On a Windows computer, Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs, and look for an installation of a Bluetooth stack - this will tell you if you have Bluetooth SOFTWARE. Similarly, Control Panel >> Device Manager will tell you if you have Bluetooth HARDWARE.

    If you're not sure now, you probably don't.
  4. #4  
    Much of ePocrates can be put on the card, but there are well over 45 files involved total (with a couple dozen Creator IDs) and many do have to stay in RAM. Within ePocrates, you can move the big databases to the card, at least.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek

Posting Permissions