Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Treo 680 (Graphite only) will be on sale at the SITEX (Singapore IT Exhibition) from today till the 3rd Dec. Pre-order purchase. 'Comes with a' free bottle of wine and a picnic rucksack (???!). No media pack, no extra memory, no extra stylus. I wonder how they came up with this goodies?

http://asia.cnet.com/sitex/06/0,3906...70634-3,00.htm

Priced at S$888 (US$555). Since when Treo is cheap?
    Last edited by linoox; 11/30/2006 at 12:27 AM.
    I'm confused as to why the 680 is so much more overseas. Is it a mainstream phone only for the US? It's priced like a high end phone for overseas.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Actually the event launch price is $788 SGD (= $508 USD). Is that still overpriced (what's the US SRP for an unlocked GSM unit)?

I was at the launch and played with the device a bit. Nice. Actually I thought the freebies didn't make sense until I realised the wine + rucksack/backpack were actually "A Good Year" tie-in items; there was even a Palm orange logo on it.

And here, I did manage to beam the "Man on Mountain" wallpaper from the 680 to my 650.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (49.5 KB, 58 views)
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    well I now wished I had ordered my unlocked phone in Taiwan! I'd probably have it by now the way Palm seems to do business !
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm confused as to why the 680 is so much more overseas. Is it a mainstream phone only for the US? It's priced like a high end phone for overseas.
    Is it that bad? Let my try and list the stores i know. To make it fair i have translated all currency to my own Danish kroners. I have translated them 2 ways. First how many danish kroners do i get with the value of the dollars, pounds or euro's. And then the other way, how much i have to pay in my danish kroners to get the value in dollars, pounds or euro.

All prices are without VAT and in danish kroners, dkr if not mentioned.
    Code:
    store            original  price2dkr  dkr2price  shipping
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    sapicom.dk        2879.2     2879.2    2879.2    40
    expansys.com      284       2643,48   2724,5   200 (guess)
    palm eurostore    360       2662,36   2730     200 (guess)
    palm usa          399$       2219,36   2300     250 (guess)
    So yes, palm USA seems like it is somewhat cheaper, but what sort of warrenty do i get? In europa i get 2 years consumer protection. And if i import it myself i have to pay a significant higher shipping fee + a custom duty handling fee (125,- to the shipping company) + VAT (but i pay the same VAT in Denmark).

So the difference 2879-2300 = 579 are suddently just 379 - shipping from usa, and just 254 when i pay the customs duty handling fee. So i dont think it is so bad to buy it locally.

What usually fools people comparing prices between USA and europa is that in USA the store price is usually without VAT, and in europa they are with VAT. Some countries in europa has a 25% VAT.

So all in all, 254 dkr with VAT is 317,5 extra dkr to buy it in Denmark. Thats between $55.1 and $57.08 usa dollars. Sure thats money as well, but just about 14% extra, for which i get 2 years consumer protection. And if it breaks i dont have to ship it to USA.

I'll probably buy it locally, because i can not find a supplier in USA that wants to ship me an orange one. Is only Palm store selling them?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    RRP:S$888 in Singapore, US$399 in US.....Difference of SGD$250, as if we Singaporeans do not have access to palm US website so we do not know the price or they assume we do not know how to do currency conversion. Amusing isn't it...?

I make a trip down to sitex (today is the 1st day) to have a feel of the Treo 680, not too bad and I was chatting with the sales person about the short battery life due to the smaller battery and the lagging that I read about in this forum. He told me that treo 680 in Singapore does not have this problem and those that are selling in US and Singapore are different. he really think I'll believe that Palm have nothing better to do than to have 2 variants of Treo 680....Do these people know how to sell or what they are selling...? I just kept quiet and walk away.....

If any of you palm guys are reading this.... WE KNOW...!

Matthew
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteosg View Post
    ... he really think I'll believe that Palm have nothing better to do than to have 2 variants of Treo 680.
    Actually there are different versions of Treo680 besides the colors. The eurostore has 2 different keyboard layouts, QWERTY and azerty??
    So are the conversions wrong? $399 is the US unlocked price. But I saw people posting over $500 for overseas.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So are the conversions wrong? $399 is the US unlocked price. But I saw people posting over $500 for overseas.
    Well yes and no. If you just take the price in Denmark at face value, then you go over $600. But the point is that in Denmark the VAT is 25%.

So to compare fair you either have to add the danish VAT to $399, or remove the Danish VAT from the Danish price.

$399 + 25% VAT = $399 + $99.75 = $498,75

In Danish kroners the calculation is similar
    100% (price) + 25% (VAT) = 3599,- dkr
    2879,2 dkr + 719,8 dkr = 3599,- dkr

So if i translate those 2879,2 which is baseprice without VAT to $ i get between $499,67 and $517,63, which shall be compared to $399. (i get 2 values for the us dollar<->danish kroner conversion depending on which way i do the calculation. There is always some uncertainty of how much i have to pay because the money are only first withdrawn from my VISA when they actually ship the stuff, so while i may calculate it precisely the exchange rate might change).

So it looks like i Palm charges about $100 more for the phone in europa than USA, but that might be because of currency exchange rates and the extra consumer protection we have here in europa. In europa the protection is 2 years. How long is it in USA? This means extra cost for Palm, and there is really only one place Palm can get money for that cost. At the consumers.

But the expenses for me if i were to get the phone from USA is different. To the baseprice of $399 i have to add about $30 in shipping? And then to get the phone into Denmark i have to pay a customs duty handling fee to the shipment company, this is also about $30. And then i have to pay 25% VAT of all that. This brings the price difference for what i would have to pay down to about $55.

Buying from a Danish supplier saves me $20-$25 on shipping alone, and naturally there is NO customs handling fee. In the end i might save about $55 when i buy it from USA, but for that i probably will get less consumer protection. I have 2 years here in Denmark, and i dont even have to pay for shipping if it breaks since the law says: "there must not be any charge for repairs the first 2 years." This means that they have to ship me a package slip to sent it into the store. Sure Palm may do that in USA, i dont know the rules over there. Those $55 is about 13% extra to buy it in Denmark.

So looking at buying it from another EU country? The price i save on the device are ALL eaten by the extra shipping cost.

All these calculations are done for just the treo 680, but actually i have to get more stuff than that, stuff i can not get from the danish supplier. I want:
    Code:
    $399 1 x Treo 680
     $20 1 x Now You Know Treo 680 Smartphone (book)
    $100 2 x 2-in-1 Stereo Headset Pro (1. for 680, 2. for my old 650 for GF)
     $40 1 x Flexi Case
    $180 1 x Altec Lansing inMotion iMT1 Speaker System for conference calls
    -----------------
    $739
    assuming i save 13% on that when buying it all from USA, then i save $96. But actually i save more because the customs duty handling fee is prprpr. $packet$, $not$ $pr$. $item$, $so$ $those$ $$30$ $are$ $spread$ $over$ $more$ $items$. $And$ $shipping$ $alot$ $of$ $stuff$ $together$ $also$ $makes$ $it$ $cheaper$.

Since i can not get all this stuff in denmark anyway i could buy it from the euro palm store, which for the treo is about $30 cheaper than denmark, so maybe i with all that stuff also will save about $100 when i buy it from USA, but PALM store USA does not ship to Denmark so i'm waiting for treocentral store to get the 680.