1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 600 on Sprint, I have used it since March of 04, I have customized it quite a bit. Great phone, it has provided me with excellent service.

I want to upgrade to the 700p, mainly for Bluetooth (mainly to use the BT in my car, which is a Jeep SRT8, and less often to use a BT headset) and for the higher internet access speeds of the 700. I mainly use Webviewer as my web browser on the 600 as it is generally much faster then Blazer.

I have no idea how close Palm is to shipping a fix for the BT problems I see people posting about, and I am not sure if the fix requires a hardware change of some sort - if it is, then maybe I should wait for a updated new version to ship, with the fix "built in"?

So overall, do you recommend that I wait or that I get the 700p now?

Thanks for your help!
    I don't use BT for obvious reasons (see my last post in this thread: Poll: 700P ROM Update Rally!! - Organize, Be Heard!) Geeks: how do I make that a live link??

Given laaaag issues as well, I'd definitely wait to see if we get any rhythm at all from Palm on an update or at least the courtesy of a reply...

That said, some people think they've found BT headset nirvana...

In any event, be careful, eyes wide open...

Good luck and be well,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by treeofan View Post
    I have a Treo 600 on Sprint, I have used it since March of 04, I have customized it quite a bit. Great phone, it has provided me with excellent service.

I want to upgrade to the 700p, mainly for Bluetooth (mainly to use the BT in my car, which is a Jeep SRT8, and less often to use a BT headset) and for the higher internet access speeds of the 700. I mainly use Webviewer as my web browser on the 600 as it is generally much faster then Blazer.

I have no idea how close Palm is to shipping a fix for the BT problems I see people posting about, and I am not sure if the fix requires a hardware change of some sort - if it is, then maybe I should wait for a updated new version to ship, with the fix "built in"?

Thanks for your help!

I would make your decision based on that BT on the 700P will never work the way you want it to. Is the decision to still upgrade to the 700P? Then, there you go -- and any "fix" will be gravy later.

If BT is the deal stopper -- then I would wait. Do you know for sure that BT on the 700P, as is, will not work for you? Talk to your Sprint store -- tell them you will buy if you can get the BT to work -- if you can't -- it will be coming back -- I believe they still have the 15 or 30 day return option.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by treeofan View Post

Thanks for your help!
    do you know anyone with a 700p? Maybe you can ask them to test it out with your car. If not, go to a Sprint/Verizon store and have them accompany you out to the car with the Treo to test it out with the caveat that you'll buy it if it works.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I had BT problems early on, when I turned BT on and off (to try and save battery power when not needed). Since I've been leaving BT on 24/7 I haven't had any BT issues. I don't speak for all users, but if your decision hinges on BT, I'd say get the 700p.
    We should live that long for BT to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    you may be waiting along time
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
  8.    #8  
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Mate,

I did upgrade from the 600 to a 700p basically for both BT and EVDO. Yes, BT is a pain in the rear end when it doesn't work. But when it is working (85% of the time), it definitely makes everything worth.

If you have the chance, jump the gun and get the 700p. ROM updates will eventually come and make things better.
    I vote don't wait. BT works as good as my old 650. And with a recent hard reset/clean install (minus versafail), the lag issue is greatly minimized.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    I'd wait beyond a BT fix. Palm has repeatedly put out equipment with major issues. At such a high price point, poor customer service, and lack of technical support....i'd wait for another company. There are many other devices to choose from...all have diff pro's & con's. But IMO, stay away from Palm products!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_arm View Post
    I'd wait beyond a BT fix. Palm has repeatedly put out equipment with major issues. At such a high price point, poor customer service, and lack of technical support....i'd wait for another company. There are many other devices to choose from...all have diff pro's & con's. But IMO, stay away from Palm products!!!
    What is all of this "poor customer service" madness I keep reading about? I have yet to have a bad customer experience with Palm. I have always been able to get in touch with somebody when needed, I order from the Palm store and I get my packages blazingly fast, and I have no "major" issues with my new 700p. If anything, there may be small hiccups or quirks that a inevitable ROM update will fix. I have said it before, and I will say it again: I am willing to wager that OVER 80% of these "major issues" are end user generated.

Now, if you want to talk BAD customer service...well...get in touch with HP support sometime!
    Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    What is all of this "poor customer service" madness I keep reading about? I have yet to have a bad customer experience with Palm. I have always been able to get in touch with somebody when needed, I order from the Palm store and I get my packages blazingly fast, and I have no "major" issues with my new 700p. If anything, there may be small hiccups or quirks that a inevitable ROM update will fix. I have said it before, and I will say it again: I am willing to wager that OVER 80% of these "major issues" are end user generated.

Now, if you want to talk BAD customer service...well...get in touch with HP support sometime!
    Actually, I would say their failure to acknowledge the BT and lag problems, blaming incompatible headsets and failing to even communicate about the issue much less fix it qualifies Palm for very, very poor customer service.

They must intentionally tell the tech support people to play dumb about these issues. EVERYONE I know with a 700p has the same bluetooth problems. Some headsets are a little better than others, but it is clearly universal and Palm acts like no one has ever heard of this problem before.

Ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I have a Chrysler with U-Connect both my T650 and my wife’s T700p works well in the car. The only problem is that U-Connect voice recognition software some times does not understand me. I only been using it for about month now but it works well.
    agree 100 percent with perry rob. .....on all ponts.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks everyone, especially the reply from Resturg, that Uconnect works with the 700p! That takes one variable off the table.