1.    #1  
    I called Cingular today on a text messaging issue on my new 680 and while talking to the guy I told him that I did not need the VPN client and therefore couldn't I go on the 19.99 plan and he said SURE and proceeded to switch me. Now I have 200 txt msgs per month and saving $20/mth. btw, I've been on the 39.99 plan for over a year and been unsuccessful in trying to get a csr to switch me until today.
    Is this common?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoposer View Post
    Is this common?
    NO. I've asked many times and keep getting the same answer from Cingular csr's that I have to have the 39.99 plan, until today. 19.99 and all is well. They'll get my money anyway when the next Treo comes out.
    so you suggest i get a cheap data plan and then that i keep calling cingular until they change me to the $19.99 unlimited plan?
  5.    #5  
    Not sure what cheap plan you are talking about.
    like the 5 or 10MB data plan, or should i get the unlimited data plan and then keep trying to have them switch me to the 19.99 one?
    Dude, bypass the calling! Just go online to manage your account and remove the PDA plan and add the Media plan you want No hassling with a phone jockey that way
    but they will know i have the treo.
    Pfff... like they really check on EVERY SINGLE ACCOUNT

As long as you don't go overboard, they typically don't care
    No, i mean if i buy the treo the website probably wont give the option to switch the plan
    You'd be surprised. The worst they can tell you is no and make you switch back.
    Yeah i'm not afraid of being caught by cingular, it's more a matter of execution so i don't get caught in the process (thus screwing myself out of getting the 19.99 plan)
    Every time I've called up to switch my plan I've had no problems. Just make sure that you know what you're talking about when you call. Saying you don't need CSD because you don't plan on using a VPN client will usually make the rep''s head spin. They won't want to admit they don't know what you're talking about so they'll do whatever you say. Don't say that stuff unless you know what you're talking about though, they might call you on it!

I've switched my plan several times, including once yesterday. If the rep won't switch it, then hang up and call back. If you still don't have any luck call back at 2am - those reps are chill.
    I do the same thing. They try not to because they make more money the other way. But they will change it.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    At the Cingular store, the CSR told me I will have to upgrade the media plan for one month to get the rebate, she then said she would switch it back at the end of the 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm97 View Post
    At the Cingular store, the CSR told me I will have to upgrade the media plan for one month to get the rebate, she then said she would switch it back at the end of the 30 days.
    and you are going to trust whatever some store clerk tells you??! I'll give you better advice, you have to keep the $40 plan until you have the rebate check in hand.
    I was at a local Cingular store 3 days ago here in NYC, they had the 680 and the clerk would not let me buy the device without the $40/m plan. She said if i bought and then change it online or whatever they would just switch me back to it....she argued this even after explaining to her i wouldnt use the $100 rebate, that i would be happy paying $300 for the device. She was kind of rude about it too.

I don't know what to do since i CAN'T afford a $40 plan. I dont need it either since i barely check my mail once a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by locon View Post
    I was at a local Cingular store 3 days ago here in NYC, they had the 680 and the clerk would not let me buy the device without the $40/m plan. She said if i bought and then change it online or whatever they would just switch me back to it....she argued this even after explaining to her i wouldnt use the $100 rebate, that i would be happy paying $300 for the device. She was kind of rude about it too.

I don't know what to do since i CAN'T afford a $40 plan. I dont need it either since i barely check my mail once a day.
    Buy it on line and purchase it with the $19.99 plan. I know others on here have done that with no problem. If the rebate is of no concern, that is your best bet. Either that, or buy unlocked.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by locon View Post

I had a total of 6 reps tell me the same thing. The rep yesterday finally switched it for me. Keep calling customer service. You'll finally get one that will do it for you.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    For those with problems, you are able to log into your account online and switch it yourself.