1.    #1  
    I upgraded from an unbranded treo 650 to a cingular 680. I have noticed that the battery does not last half as long as the 650. I played holdem for about 1/2 hour and the battery was low. I could play for hours on the 650.

Also, I had a memory card in the 650 with all of my backed up prgrams. When I hot sync'd my new 680, I didn't have the card in it and it asked me if I wanted to keep my programs and I said yes and I think it backed up the backup card into the phone. Should I hard reset it and start over??

My husband has my old 650 and we kept the same user name so that we could both use the same programs without having to buy two.

Any help would be appreciated.
    There's a whole long thread about the battery life, which I find moderately amusing. Lot's of people told Palm they wanted a thinner Treo, and one with no external antenna. Palm listened, and gave them what they asked for.

Well, surprise! (not). If you use some of the internal volume for an antenna, and then reduce internal volume still more to make it thinner, that means there's less room for a battery. So guess what? The battery's smaller, which means it has less capacity, which means it doesn't last as long.

There's an ancient Chinese saying: "Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it."

As for a hard reset and start over, I'd say yes, for multiple reasons. Restoring your old phone's backup onto a different model phone is a bad idea. You've probably overlayed some new, 680 specific files with old 650 specific files. That's a recipe for instability. And you've probably overlayed your 680 saved preferences file with the one from your 650. Want to bet there are a few critical differences?

Your best approach is to hard reset your 680, then rename the backup directory from your 650, and then hotsync. This will restore all your PIM data. Then re-install, from scratch, all of your apps. This will give you a much cleaner installation, eliminate any unnecessary files that were hanging around from apps you deleted on the 650, and result in a much more stable device. Yeah, it's a pain in the ****, but in the long run it's worth it.

Check this thread for more detailed info: http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

One more thing: two Treos with the same hotsync name. You do understand that if you sync them to the same machine you'll end up with exactly the same data and apps on each phone? I won't go into the question of whether the developers deserve to get paid twice when two people use the app.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 11/29/2006 at 12:15 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    What Bob said.

Plus. . . . 2 Treos with same userid syncing to the same desktop? Not to mention that there are two different models?

DANGER!

DANGER Will Robinson!

DANGER!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/29/2006 at 12:14 PM.
    My wife and I do the same. We use different laptops. Always. They deserve to get paid twice when we use two different names. They charge per name, not person.
    I will have 2 Treos (someday) when my 680 comes in . I intend to use my 650 as a backup and possibly designated TomTom if the 680 blue tooth doesn't swing with multi-use . So my plan is to sync both treos to the same name . I will start fresh with 680 ,then try to re install on my cleaned 650. Sound like a plan?

Oh Bob your link isn't working . Where is that thread?
    Last edited by byronchurch; 11/29/2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I haven't hotsynced my Treo 650 EVER. I have Linux on all of my PCs and I don't even bother trying to sync with Kpilot or anything like that. I have VFSBackup on a card (wonder if it will work with the 680 - probably), and I do OTA sync of calendar/email/notes/tasks/contacts with my corporate email system. I have three or 4 SD cards that I use for backup purposes, rotating them occasionally. I have my "master" SD card that I backup to a directory on my PC whenever I decide to keep a new program on the SD card rather than internal memory, etc. I even had to get "ChangeName" to give my Treo a hotsync name so that programs that are coded to the hotsync ID will work <g>. My original Palms and Treo 270 were named "Danita Zanre" - when I got my T600 I named it T600 - d'uh - now I'll have a 680 named T600 because I do have a number of applications now that are linked to the hotsync name, and I can't be bothered trying to track down all of the companies to see if they will give me a new license. I guess I'll be T600 for as long as I own Palm OS devices

Danita
    The CNET review got better than 5 hours of talk time on the Cingular Treo 680. I wonder what the discrepancy is? Maybe they should have tested "Texas Hold'em Time" instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego View Post
    The CNET review got better than 5 hours of talk time on the Cingular Treo 680. I wonder what the discrepancy is? Maybe they should have tested "Texas Hold'em Time" instead?
    1200 vs 1800 mAh should give about 2/3 the capability of a 650. That agrees with the 4 hours vs. 6 hours of talk time quoted on the Palm web pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch View Post
    I will have 2 Treos (someday) when my 680 comes in . I intend to use my 650 as a backup and possibly designated TomTom if the 680 blue tooth doesn't swing with multi-use . So my plan is to sync both treos to the same name . I will start fresh with 680 ,then try to re install on my cleaned 650. Sound like a plan?

Oh Bob your link isn't working . Where is that thread?

Hi byronchurch!

Same userid for 2 different Treos (especially different models) on the same PC is frought with peril. On different laptops or PCs --ok, same userid is fine.

Proceed at your own risk, if it is on the same computer. (Reread Post #3.)

Cheers, Perry.