1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

Im new to the forum and I find it to be helpful especially with regards to 680.

Treo 680 has just been launched here in Manila and its priced at around 30,000 pesos ($600) without taxes. Its so expensive here. Ive been thinking of having a relative buy the Graphite there in the US.

I know theres an unlocked version of the 680 from Cingular. Im just wondering how much will the total cost be? I mean with taxes? She can buy it in a Cingular store and it will be delivered to her? And also, the phone will work here in Manila right? I mean unlocked means its not tied up to Cingular so no Cingular logo or services will appear on the phone?

Thanks for the help guys
    Have her order an unlocked version directly from Palm. Providing on where she lives in the US, she might get it without taxes and free shipping. For example, I live in Texas and bought a 700p before with no taxes and free shipping.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    You can buy a Treo 680 from Cingular without a contract, but it will still be locked to Cingular, unless you convince Cingular to unlock it, or pay a third party to unlock it. You're better off buying direct from Palm, and getting the music package to boot.
    PseriesFan, where in Manila is it at? I'd like to take a look at it! I currently have a 650, and although I've been pretty happy with it, I'm looking at "upgrading."
    Quote Originally Posted by PseriesFan View Post
    Hi guys,

I know theres an unlocked version of the 680 from Cingular.
    My advice:

Do not, under any circumstances, trust Cingular to "unlock" your phone for you, or accept any verbal promises to do it at a later date.

Either have a 3rd party do it (gsmphonesource worked for me) or buy it unlocked from Palm in the first place.

I trusted Cingular to do this once. Paid FULL PRICE for a NON-CONTRACT phone that TWO techs in the store said was unlocked and ready to be used overseas.

2 Months later I found myself in Russia with a LOCKED phone and Cingular tech support telling me I had to fax them the receipt (which was 5000 miles away in America) for them to give me the unlock codes.

Nearly $200 in long distance and hours of my time got me no where, and I had a USELESS phone for the whole trip.

When I got back I went to the Cingular store, very PO'ed, found out the phone had never been unlocked in the first place, got no explanation for all my trouble, got NO credit whatsoever, and BARELY got an apology.

Never again.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    PseriesFan, where in Manila is it at? I'd like to take a look at it! I currently have a 650, and although I've been pretty happy with it, I'm looking at "upgrading."
    Hi Manilenio,

u can read it in this link: http://home.mapalad.org/viewthread.php?tid=14057&page=2

its around 29,500 pesos and its set to be released on Dec 15 by microwarehouse, inc
  7.    #7  
    @stroths, bruce and labas:

whew! thanks for giving me a heads up. I'll tell her to directly get it from Palm, but then im a bit worried that it might not be shipped to her before she leaves for Manila...it said to allow for 1-2 weeks of shipping but then is that really followed? im a bit concerned since its nearing Christmas so im sure alot of people have ordered it online and maybe theres a long waiting list for the shipments....
    She could buy from a Cingular store and get it unlocked BUT she should test other carrier's sims in it just to make sure its really unlocked. Palm will be cheaper, but if the shipping date worries you, Cingular is the only other option.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  9.    #9  
    you mean she could try lets say Sprints sim card? and if it doesnt work, she should go back to Cingular and have it unlocked immediately. btw, what is the difference between an unbranded and unlocked phone? ive been reading some of the threads, and well, it looks like there are some problems with Cingular phones.
    Probably not Sprint, I don't think they carry GSM phones. T-Mobile does, though. Can Cingular phone store personal unlock the phone, or would you have to go through Customer Service?
    What is the asking price of Palm for the unlocked version? My gf is currently in california right now and could ask her to get one for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntzupa View Post
    What is the asking price of Palm for the unlocked version? My gf is currently in california right now and could ask her to get one for me.
    $400 if you can find one.
    Thanks...