Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Version 5.42 of Z Launcher is now out of beta and in full release.

Changes include:

"Fixed the incorrect behaviour on Treo 680/700p's home button.
    Fixed problem on Treo 700p's signal indicator button.
    Miscellaneous updates and bug-fixes."

Get it here:

http://www.zztechs.com/en/zlauncher.php#download
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Still painfully slow on the 700p. ZLauncher just kills the PalmInternals speedtest.

I go from 567 in 5 secs to 5800 in 56 seconds with zlauncher running.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightlight View Post
    Still painfully slow on the 700p. ZLauncher just kills the PalmInternals speedtest.

I go from 567 in 5 secs to 5800 in 56 seconds with zlauncher running.
    While those PalmInternals numbers indicate a huge change, in reality, ZL only induces a very slight delay in moving about the OS, and well worth the functionality that ZL brings on board, IMHO! If your experience is different, i.e. ZL induces a significant performance decrease, then you've got something else going on / conflicting with ZL.

I am curious about what's been going on behind closed doors at ZZTechs these last few months. I wonder if they are revamping ZL to take advantage of the Treo/smartphone functions, i.e. compete with Initiate's functionality in a ZL 6.0?
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I agree that ZLauncher might/does hit performance a little and costs some RAM to be sure, but for me it's well worth it.

To me the benefits greatly outway the limitations/problems.

The tweaks, functionality, and eye candy offered by ZLauncher are something I don’t want to go without.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    The only problem anyone should have with running ZL is by defining it as the "Default Launcher" in the general preferences. This setting maps ZL to the home button. If you use LudusP or a similar type of program to map ZL to the home button you should notice an increase in the PI speed test.

EDIT: Not exactly true. QuickLaunch Anywhere will have some impact on the performance as well. All of the other prefs within ZL should only impact the performance when running ZL (e.g. defining graphics transparency, etc) and not when running any other program.
    This new release and the beta from the "old" release took care of the button problems. Ben
    If you're saying ZLauncher slows your tests down, I suspect you have some bad settings.

Are you using QuickLaunch Anywhere? If so, change the ZLauncher prefs under QL, click the Setup button, make sure that Enhanced Recognition is off, it might be on by default. Otherwise ZLauncher hooks a really slow interrupt to catch the entry.

I personally set mine to button 3, and SMS is the top of the list so I can reach the normal stuff under it. (I also have KGT set to button 3 on long press, they work fine together
    Quick launch anywhere is not checked and never has been.

Hoovs is right about setting ZLauncher as the default launcher. When I unchecked that and set LudusP to map Zlauncher to the Home button, my PI test went right back to normal. The only downside is that I can no longer cycle through the zlauncher tabs by hitting the Home key.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightlight View Post
    Quick launch anywhere is not checked and never has been.

Hoovs is right about setting ZLauncher as the default launcher. When I unchecked that and set LudusP to map Zlauncher to the Home button, my PI test went right back to normal. The only downside is that I can no longer cycle through the zlauncher tabs by hitting the Home key.
    Yeah, I had to retrain myself to use the five-way to flip through ZL screens.
    So, looks like we've got a fair number of die hard ZL fanatics here like myself. I tried Initiate over the long Thanksgiving weekend, but just could not find a reason to like it better than ZL. Anyone else's thoughts about Initiate vs. ZL?
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    So, looks like we've got a fair number of die hard ZL fanatics here like myself. I tried Initiate over the long Thanksgiving weekend, but just could not find a reason to like it better than ZL. Anyone else's thoughts about Initiate vs. ZL?
    I've always found ZL to be the best and have recently tried a number of other launchers because ZL was so slow on the 700p (now fixed by disabling the "default launcher" option). The only one that was close to ZL for me was XLauncher. When/if the new version comes out, it might give ZL a run for its money.
    On the button thing, are you running the latest release or latest beta - and have you disabled LudusP and any other application that changes the key definition, and effected a soft reset and is it marked in the preferences as the default launcher?

http://www.zztechs.com/en/

I have no problem at all with it. Ben
    latest release (as per the topic of this thread) and no LudusP originally (as per my previous post).

If you're claiming to have no problem, please post your PI score.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    On the button thing, are you running the latest release or latest beta - and have you disabled LudusP and any other application that changes the key definition, and effected a soft reset and is it marked in the preferences as the default launcher?

http://www.zztechs.com/en/

I have no problem at all with it. Ben
    Hey Ben,

Yeah, I've downloaded 5.42, disabled LudusP and checked the Default Launcher pref and it increased my speed test in PI from 102 tics to almost 5000.
    When I speak of "no problems," it is done in terms of stability, not necessarily speed and as far as stability, both the 650 and 700p are stable. I need a stable device, not one that is speedy, though both traits would be great.

With ZLauncher's home key option disabled and the Treo 700p reset, the results are: time in tics 9,323, time in seconds 93.

With ZLauncher's home key option enabled and the Treo 700p reset, the results are: time in tics 8,338, time in seconds 83.

Difference of 985 tics and time in seconds 10.

Ben
    When I speak of "no problems," it is done in terms of stability, not necessarily speed and as far as stability, both the 650 and 700p are stable. I need a stable device, not one that is speedy, though both traits would be great.

With ZLauncher's home key option disabled and the Treo 700p reset, the results are: time in tics 9,323, time in seconds 93.

With ZLauncher's home key option enabled and the Treo 700p reset, the results are: time in tics 8,338, time in seconds 83.

Difference of 985 tics and time in seconds 10.

Ben
    Wow. Those PI results are incredibly bad.
    I never claimed speed was one of ZLauncher's strong points. Speed would put me with another application; what I gain in memory savings and configuration options is more important to me - a second or two does not seriously affect me.

When I disable VolumeCare and CradleCare AND retain ZLauncher as the default launcher, the times in tics is 4,296 and time in seconds 43 - now that is a difference.

When I disable ZLauncher as the default launcher with NO reset and disable VolumeCare & CradleCare, the time in tics is 5,238, time in seconds is 53.

Now with Zlauncher disabled as the default launcher, disable Volume Care and Cradle Care and the Treo reset, the time in tics is 5,352 and time in seconds is 54.

From what this indicates, ZLauncher is not a significant factor on my device.

Ben
    Last edited by bclinger; 11/30/2006 at 10:24 AM.
    I'm not saying that PI isn't of value, but "numbers" are relative. PI may be quite useful in reducing lag time by identifying resource hogs, but when I see my applications launching acceptably quick, I really don't care what my PI numbers are! Don't get hung up on the numbers for the sake of the numbers!
    No, I definitely am not going to get hung on the numbers. I use CradleCare to monitor the state of the SD card and have done so since the 600 days. Due to today's testing, I am going to do without it for a period to see if the device has a problem with the card. With CradleCare I have not had any card related problems and I really like the fact that when the card is removed, an alarm is fired and that alarm is loud.

VolumeCare is there only for the telephone noise boost.

To tell you the accuracy of the Palm's ability to report cause of crashes - the system log - I had my first unscheduled reset in months and the cause listed: HanDBase - and HanDBase has not been run this morning - it was last run before last night's backup with Resco Backup and at the end of that backup the device was reset.

Ben
    I never claimed speed was one of ZLauncher's strong points. Speed would put me with another application; what I gain in memory savings and configuration options is more important to me - a second or two does not seriously affect me.

When I disable VolumeCare and CradleCare AND retain ZLauncher as the default launcher, the times in tics is 4,296 and time in seconds 43 - now that is a difference.

When I disable ZLauncher as the default launcher with NO reset and disable VolumeCare & CradleCare, the time in tics is 5,238, time in seconds is 53.

Now with Zlauncher disabled as the default launcher, disable Volume Care and Cradle Care and the Treo reset, the time in tics is 5,352 and time in seconds is 54.

From what this indicates, ZLauncher is not a significant factor on my device.

Ben
    ZL isn't a significant factor on your device because your 700p is already incredibly slow. I have Butler, keycaps, keyshades and volumecare running and score approx. 550 in 5 seconds on my 700p. That's why I saw such a big difference when I loaded ZL and used the "default launcher" option. It made my 700p go from normal to as slow as yours when you disabled all of your backgroup programs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast