Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What release of PalmInternals are you running? I am using 1.10.2.

Also, how would you rate your device on stability? Mine are very stable. What this thread has caused me to do is to look at speed; however, if an issues comes between speed and stability, stability will come ahead. I will post pics of the launcher screen showing the apps I have - much easier than listing them and then if you would, take the time to compare.

Ben
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    So, looks like we've got a fair number of die hard ZL fanatics here like myself. I tried Initiate over the long Thanksgiving weekend, but just could not find a reason to like it better than ZL. Anyone else's thoughts about Initiate vs. ZL?
    I looked at Initiate a while back and found when launching applications from SD card it did not automatically load all required DB files from the card and save it on card if the DB files were changes when application exits.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    What release of PalmInternals are you running? I am using 1.10.2.

Also, how would you rate your device on stability? Mine are very stable. What this thread has caused me to do is to look at speed; however, if an issues comes between speed and stability, stability will come ahead. I will post pics of the launcher screen showing the apps I have - much easier than listing them and then if you would, take the time to compare.

Ben
    My 700p is perfectly stable. No resets. Version 1.10.2. I'm also running YAHM, FontSmoother, FontHackV, MultiUserHack, Volume Care, Keyshades, Keycaps600, Butler, CallRec and LudusP in the "background."
    Attached are bmps of the files. Other ones that run in the background or work with alarms/schedules: Butler, BluePill, ChatterEmail, Cradle Care, Datebook 6, LookAtMe, mClock, On Guard Backup, Password Launch, Reset Doctor, RLock (not enabled right now), TakePhone, Teal Lock 6, Uninstall Manager, Volume Care and of course ZLauncher. I am sure there are others I passed over.

When you look at the number of apps that are sitting there monitoring alarms and various notifications, that will result in a usage of tics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hey All...

Can anyone tell me if ZLauncher 5.42 is really stabile. I am still running ZLauncher 5.4 on my T650 and crashes most of the time for no reason that I can see.

For example, just today the T650 and 700p where just there not being bothered, and I noticed the screen on the 650 was on. When I went over to it, the reset progress bar was finishing up. After the reset cleared up, the cause of the reset was ZLauncher : MemoryMgr.c,Line:3751, Free handle. This is always the cause of random ZLauncher resets. No body touched the 650 or even looked at it and the reset happened.

Of course, when it crashes, it crashes hard. I loose all my Treo prefs, all my reg keys and the ZLauncher prefs. I have to keep a saved prefs copy on the card to repair the effects of the crash.

It happens with ZLauncher locked or unlocked, it dosen't matter. I don't have any other app caused crashes on the 650.

So I am ready to chunk ZLauncher into the trash and get Resco Explorer installed on the 650.

I am using Resco Explorer on the 700p and it is rock solid. No problems with RX at all. But I still love ZLauncher and I want the Shortcut ability of ZLauncher. I just can't deal with the random crashes anymore.

Thanks

Its safe to update, no problems on my 650 or 700p.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Since you are loosing preferences, have you looked at a utility such as Reset Doctor - http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/reset-doctor-more.php.

Ben
    You guys are brilliant. Just remapped the home key. Will have to get used to the tabs' not cycling, but I suppose I can just use the 5-way. Don't use LudusP (had problems once upon a time). I use Standalone's Type Right. Killer app at like $9. I think I got it for a couple bucks less on sale, though:

http://standalone.com/palmos/type_right/
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Hey All...

Can anyone tell me if ZLauncher 5.42 is really stabile. I am still running ZLauncher 5.4 on my T650 and crashes most of the time for no reason that I can see.

For example, just today the T650 and 700p where just there not being bothered, and I noticed the screen on the 650 was on. When I went over to it, the reset progress bar was finishing up. After the reset cleared up, the cause of the reset was ZLauncher : MemoryMgr.c,Line:3751, Free handle. This is always the cause of random ZLauncher resets. No body touched the 650 or even looked at it and the reset happened.

Of course, when it crashes, it crashes hard. I loose all my Treo prefs, all my reg keys and the ZLauncher prefs. I have to keep a saved prefs copy on the card to repair the effects of the crash.

It happens with ZLauncher locked or unlocked, it dosen't matter. I don't have any other app caused crashes on the 650.

So I am ready to chunk ZLauncher into the trash and get Resco Explorer installed on the 650.

I am using Resco Explorer on the 700p and it is rock solid. No problems with RX at all. But I still love ZLauncher and I want the Shortcut ability of ZLauncher. I just can't deal with the random crashes anymore.

Thanks

I've very rarely had a crash out of ZLauncher. I have a sneaky suspicion that you've got something else doing something nasty and pissing off ZLauncher.

What programs do you have installed that run in the background or on an alarm? Stuff that stays up to date or such (email, weather, etc)

Do you Resco Locker? If you don't, you should find it and lock ZLauncher. Read the threads around, and lock the other programs that should be locked too. I bet what's happening is something is clearing dbcache and wiping ZLauncher's databases out from under it.

I should suggest to the ZZTech people they impliment a locking scheme, come to think of it.

BTW, I think you're a little confused.. ZLauncher is an application launcher. Resco Explorer is a file manager (not a launcher).
    To cycle - use the show/hidden tabs option - it will then let you cycle through all of the screens. (you know, the little key next to the ALT key then press the H key - love those keys).

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    You guys are brilliant. Just remapped the home key. Will have to get used to the tabs' not cycling, but I suppose I can just use the 5-way. Don't use LudusP (had problems once upon a time). I use Standalone's Type Right. Killer app at like $9. I think I got it for a couple bucks less on sale, though:

http://standalone.com/palmos/type_right/
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I've very rarely had a crash out of ZLauncher. I have a sneaky suspicion that you've got something else doing something nasty and pissing off ZLauncher.

What programs do you have installed that run in the background or on an alarm? Stuff that stays up to date or such (email, weather, etc)

Do you Resco Locker? If you don't, you should find it and lock ZLauncher. Read the threads around, and lock the other programs that should be locked too. I bet what's happening is something is clearing dbcache and wiping ZLauncher's databases out from under it.

I should suggest to the ZZTech people they impliment a locking scheme, come to think of it.

BTW, I think you're a little confused.. ZLauncher is an application launcher. Resco Explorer is a file manager (not a launcher).
    hey...

I agree with khaytsus on something else may be pissing zlauncher off. Funny thing though, nothing else is getting pissed off.

As far as confusion goes, I'm not confused, zlauncher is confused. I do understand that resco explorer is a file manager too. Maybe you should tell Resco that RX is not really a launcher, even though there is box in RX general prefs for enabling RX as a default launcher. I press home button and RX pops up and I tap an app icon and the app opens. Weird, huh.

Any way, zlauncher is gone now. I installed ZL 5.42 last night, did a soft reset, and little later I pressed the power button to turn the screen on to make a call, and zlauncher had reset the 650 again.
    Same reason, line 3751. I didn't loose the prefs or reg keys that time.

I've dealt with zlaunchers random brain farts for a least a year and a half. I also use resco locker and had ZL locked along with any apps that have some sort of alarm attached them.

ZL has been the only thing that crashes the 650. I don't have any random crashes on the 700p, prolly because I never installed ZL on it.

I'll give RX a shot on the 650. I'll be willing to bet that the random launcher crashes are going to be gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12