Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Well done!

Consider the list signed by me as well. I've also written an open letter to Palm which I'm posting here... anyone that knows of a non-generic email address I can send it to, please let me know:

As a longtime Treo user (I bought the original 180p on the day of release -- one of the few holdouts for a Graffiti interface!), I've had more than my fair share of frustration with smart phones, particularly Treos in general. In the past years, I've grown past the 180, watched the 270 emerge, the evolution of the 270 to the 300... the maturity of the 300 to the 600 & 650... all with varying hiccups along the way which I've endured with a minimum of gripes. Although Palm has notoriously been less than forward with their plans for future firmware upgrades/fixes, I've learned to live with that -- or so I thought.

When I first received my 650, it was (in my eyes) a great improvement over the 600. Although I experienced bugs as an early adopter and sometimes felt updates were not as frequent or timely as they should have been, I remained patient. With time, nearly all of my issues were addressed -- stability issues, free RAM issues, even bluetooth support.

However, when moving from the 650 to the 700, everything changed. My bluetooth, which worked perfectly in my 650 with my 2006 Audi A4 (which, I might add, was utilized by Palm in press releases and advertisements such as "Treo + Audi: Handsfree Calling -- The Way It Should Be" (see Palm's site at http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar.../treo650/audi/) , is now so hazardous to use in my car that I've resorted to pulling off the road and using my handset directly. This is unacceptable to have a "upgrade" which doesn't support the same functionality that was advertised to the general public. This should have:

a) been disclosed in the original "Treo + Audi" ads (i.e. a disclaimer stating that this technology is *ONLY* available on the 650 and not future models.

and

b) information on Palm's website pertaining to the 700p should have prominently displayed that not all features of the 650 are supported on the 700p. A simple technote (http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(42719)) is not sufficient, and to my knowledge there is no evidence that this was even available on their knowledge base before the product shipped.

Furthermore, my bluetooth headset, a Plantronics Discovery 640 which was highly recommended for its compatibility with the Treo 650, experiences frequent disconnects as well... leading me to believe the entire bluetooth implementation is shoddy at best. Once again, to regress to an unusable feature during an "equipment upgrade" is unacceptable.

Combined with the other known issues (delay in application switching, general instability, lockup during/loss of SMS messaging, etc) and Palm's apparent lack of concern towards informing their user base, I find myself finding it harder and harder to justify my use of these devices. I am an IT manager tasked in part with supporting an ever-growing Treo network, and despite the continued frustration my company experiences with these devices, I've managed to fight off the move to another platform for a few years now. As it stands today, my CIO is fed up and wants us to drop Palm entirely and replace everything with Blackberries as "they just work". With each day that passes with no word from Palm, I find myself agreeing with him more and more.

Palm, please don't make me wrong on this. We all know you strive to produce the best handhelds in the industry; we just need you to spend a bit less time on new product launches, and a bit more time in committing to update timetables and keeping your current customers informed.
    obscure information.
    Count me in as well, thanks for taking time to speak up for the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscure411 View Post
    Well done!

Consider the list signed by me as well. I've also written an open letter to Palm which I'm posting here... anyone that knows of a non-generic email address I can send it to, please let me know:

As a longtime Treo user (I bought the original 180p on the day of release -- one of the few holdouts for a Graffiti interface!), I've had more than my fair share of frustration with smart phones, particularly Treos in general. In the past years, I've grown past the 180, watched the 270 emerge, the evolution of the 270 to the 300... the maturity of the 300 to the 600 & 650... all with varying hiccups along the way which I've endured with a minimum of gripes. Although Palm has notoriously been less than forward with their plans for future firmware upgrades/fixes, I've learned to live with that -- or so I thought.

When I first received my 650, it was (in my eyes) a great improvement over the 600. Although I experienced bugs as an early adopter and sometimes felt updates were not as frequent or timely as they should have been, I remained patient. With time, nearly all of my issues were addressed -- stability issues, free RAM issues, even bluetooth support.

However, when moving from the 650 to the 700, everything changed. My bluetooth, which worked perfectly in my 650 with my 2006 Audi A4 (which, I might add, was utilized by Palm in press releases and advertisements such as "Treo + Audi: Handsfree Calling -- The Way It Should Be" (see Palm's site at http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar.../treo650/audi/) , is now so hazardous to use in my car that I've resorted to pulling off the road and using my handset directly. This is unacceptable to have a "upgrade" which doesn't support the same functionality that was advertised to the general public. This should have:

a) been disclosed in the original "Treo + Audi" ads (i.e. a disclaimer stating that this technology is *ONLY* available on the 650 and not future models.

and

b) information on Palm's website pertaining to the 700p should have prominently displayed that not all features of the 650 are supported on the 700p. A simple technote (http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(42719)) is not sufficient, and to my knowledge there is no evidence that this was even available on their knowledge base before the product shipped.

Furthermore, my bluetooth headset, a Plantronics Discovery 640 which was highly recommended for its compatibility with the Treo 650, experiences frequent disconnects as well... leading me to believe the entire bluetooth implementation is shoddy at best. Once again, to regress to an unusable feature during an "equipment upgrade" is unacceptable.

Combined with the other known issues (delay in application switching, general instability, lockup during/loss of SMS messaging, etc) and Palm's apparent lack of concern towards informing their user base, I find myself finding it harder and harder to justify my use of these devices. I am an IT manager tasked in part with supporting an ever-growing Treo network, and despite the continued frustration my company experiences with these devices, I've managed to fight off the move to another platform for a few years now. As it stands today, my CIO is fed up and wants us to drop Palm entirely and replace everything with Blackberries as "they just work". With each day that passes with no word from Palm, I find myself agreeing with him more and more.

Palm, please don't make me wrong on this. We all know you strive to produce the best handhelds in the industry; we just need you to spend a bit less time on new product launches, and a bit more time in committing to update timetables and keeping your current customers informed.

I agree, well said, this is pretty much what I said to the rep at corporate consumer relations over the phone.
    Palm needs to listen to their customers Who just Happen to be Paying their salaries!!

HELLO!!

I can go buy a Q for less and get more!!

So listen up PALM!!
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Add me to the list I have been along for the ride since my Treo 180. The box even claims Wi-Fi support but I know that is not happening in my lifetime :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by emajy View Post
    Add me to the list I have been along for the ride since my Treo 180. The box even claims Wi-Fi support but I know that is not happening in my lifetime :-)

What box claims wifi support?
  7. RJR
    As a Palm Pilot to Clie to Treo user, I love the Palm OS and handheld devices. My 650 is getting a bit long in the tooth, as I purchased it 2 years ago, when it first came out. I would love to take the upgrade path to the 700P (or something newer/better - can I hear a 750?) but will not be moving until there is a more stable platform.

Please add my signature to the letter in the hope that Palm will realize our concerns for both better communication and better bug fixes.
    I am in. Well done and thanks.
    This revolution will be televised! Palm....you're listening?
    Count me in, some free phone that cell carrier's give out can stay paired to a bluetooth headset longer than my $600 bluetooth brick
    Well....I got a call back from a supervisor today at Palm's corporate consumer relations. He assured me that he would try to bring the issues I presented to him to the attention of the proper engineers (esp regarding communication). I should receive a call back from him in a day or two with results. Once again, I would encourage all of you to call corporate customer relations for Palm at:

407-531-4496 and select option 2

Be kind and courteous, reference the many forums online such as this one where people have posted issues and mention the complete lack of communication. Yeah, the letter is nice and all, but I guarantee you if they get a lot of phone calls (to the corporate relations office) they will do something.
    Im with ya, count me in too.
    These guys are pissed at Palm too and I suspect many have lost $$ on Palm:

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/St...sview?bn=13738
    count me in!
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Me too, me too! that skipping when listening to music and switiching between applications is ANNOYING!!!
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Abso-freakin-lutely, I concur with the letter. Bluetooth is a sore spot for both headsets & dialup.
    Count me in as well. I don't own a Treo 700p but had thought about upgrading to one from my 650. I definately won't consider getting a 700p knowing that it has the Bluetooth and lag issues. I love Palm and since becoming a Palm user 3 years ago, I've been buying the latest Palm devices when they come out. I've been contemplating on which Treo to get since we've had quite the choice in the last several months. I'm leaning towards the 680 at the moment, although my choice would have been the 700p if not for those two major roadblocks. Hearing so many users and consultants saying that they can't recommend the 700p to their colleagues and friends is very sad, and I hope that Palm will take care of the problem soon.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm in. BT issues are giving me headaches since day 1...
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Hanging on to my Sprint 650 as long as I can. Will eventually move to the 700p, but not until a s/w update. Count me in.
    I'm in.

I have a VZW 700p with absolutely no 3rd party apps installed. Upgraded from a 650 that worked pretty well, and only upgraded for EVDO capability. It has been a frustrating experience:

- Bluetooth is horrible. Headsets don't stay connected, sometimes won't connect at all, caller ID in 2 cars (BMW) is inaccurate, sometimes spontaneously reboots, sometimes says it's connected but it isn't, sometimes has excessive static that requires a soft reset to fix.

- Battery life is 2/3 of the 650 with same usage and apps (all standard, no 3rd party). The Seido extended battery gets me to mid or late afternoon without a mid-day charge, which is unacceptable.

- Oddly random but too-frequent "loss" of the SD card. Says it isn't installed. Only requires removal and re-insertion, but still an absurdity.

- Lags between app switches, esp Blazer

I would also note that emails to Palm tech support re: these issues have gone completely unacknowledged and unanswered. I figured waiting 6 months for a patch for what should have worked out of the box would be enough.

My entire company uses the Palm platform and their response (or lack thereof) will determine our upgrade path. And I am the guy who makes that decision. Everyone who hasn't upgraded to a 700p is sticking with a 650 until these issues are addressed. We will be exploring the Blackberry and Sammy units if they are not in the near future, as we are due for a refresh in the first quarter of next year.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast