Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
    If you can extract the files from my rom image, you can get v1.40 of palm 700p rom (Telus). I don't know if it will fix some issues or not??

See my last post on 700p ROM & ROM Tools thread
  2. wjc
    This is a letter I wrote to a Regional Palm Representative stating my problems with the 700P after frustration at not being able to reach anyone in the corporate office. I would like it to be given to Ed Colligan or Steve Sinclair at Palm.

March 25, 2007

Dear ,

I am writing to you because of a chronic and consistent problem I have had with my Palm Treo 700Ps (I have now owned four 700Ps since July of 2006. Two brand new 700Ps and two refurbished 700Ps from Verizon Wireless). The problem consistently becomes apparent after several months of owning the device. Unfortunately, this is too late to return the device, but luckily not out of the warranty period. The problem can be best described as analogous to buying a new computer. When you first get the computer, it works well: all the programs run smoothly, it is fast, there are no glitches. Then after owning it for several years, it starts to run slowly, the programs start to have glitches, finally it starts freezing and rebooting, and then is unusable. This is what happens consistently with every Palm 700P that I have owned.

I have owned Palm Treos since they first debuted back in 2003, and have bought Palm devices since the Pilot in 1996. I have owned every Palm OS model that has been introduced. They have all worked perfectly. The first one I have ever had a problem with is the 700P.

The problems that I encounter are:

1) Initially my Bluetooth headset works well. Then, after a while, in a progressive fashion, it does not connect. It will show on the Treo screen that the Bluetooth is connected, and it sounds like it is connected (light static), but no transmission of sound comes through. I can soft-reset my phone by pushing the reset button, remove the battery to soft-reset the phone, turn the Bluetooth receiver off and on at the headset, and on the phone, and have the phone rediscover the headset and reprogram it, but nothing makes it work again. It will sometimes stop working in the middle of a call. Last week the headset did not work at all on each day I tried it. Now it is temporarily working again. It also does not matter which Bluetooth headset I use. I have tried multiple Bluetooth headset manufacturers and have experienced the same problem, which tells me the problem is the phone and not the headset.

2) The phone lags, pauses, and freezes all of the time. This too is getting progressively worse. When I touch the screen or press a button on the keypad, the phone will not respond to the input for sometimes a few seconds and sometimes up to five minutes. Not only does it waste time, often preventing me from finishing the task, but it happens with multiple programs in multiple settings. The most frustrating example is when I am listening to my phone messages and I press the button “7” to erase a message. Because I don’t hear the beep from pressing the “7” key, I press it again thinking that I just didn’t press it hard enough. Thirty seconds later the “7” input goes through twice, thereby erasing the message to which I am currently listening and the next message that I have not heard yet. Another problem is when I push the red "end call" button, it often does not hang up for a while no matter how many times I press the button (delayed response again). This can lead to some awkward moments when I have stopped speaking but my phone will not hang up. Overall, the phone constantly registers input late and is plagued with 30 second to five minute lag times when pressing buttons or switching between programs.

3) However, the most frustrating problem, which makes the phone almost unusable, it that when I am talking on the phone, and it does not matter if I am using the Bluetooth headset or not, (although it happens more often when I am using the headset), if someone else calls at the same time, instead of the phone screen showing that there is another caller, thus giving me the option to answer the incoming call, my phone just freezes, shuts down and then reboots. As luck would have it, I am almost always talking on a very important call when this happens. It is even worse than a dropped call, because the other party cannot call me back and I cannot call them back until two minutes later when my phone finishes rebooting. Even worse, my phone does not record the person that just called in the “Call Log” section. Furthermore, it does not even go to voice mail so that the caller can leave a message.

These problems make my phone unusable. I have contacted both Palm Treo service as well as Verizon’s service department about these problems. I have probably spent over ten hours explaining these problems to them. Every time I contact either company about these problems, I am told to initially perform a hard reset and if the problem persists, that they will send me a new phone. I have hard reset my multiple 700Ps, multiple times, and have received four new phones. They all have the same recurring problem. I have been told that the problem is the software that I put on my phone, but when I received a brand new 700P in December 2006, I ran my phone without any third party software for one month, and while not experiencing as many problems as I am having now, I still experienced Bluetooth and lag time problems. One month later I finally loaded the software back on the phone, since that is the whole reason I bought the Palm phone. I have lots of medical software on my phone, and I feel if I have to give that up the third party software to use the phone, then it would not make sense to own a big bulky Palm phone just to make phone calls when I could switch to a slim phone just for that purpose. Interestingly and ironically, my 700P has the exact same software that I ran on my previous Treo 650, and I never had one problem at all from the Treo 650.

When I call Palm or Verizon, they tell me that no one else has had these complaints, but on several occasions I have emailed both of their service departments with the pasted weblink to Palm Inc.’s website which shows that multiple other consumer’s are having these same problems. No one from either company has ever gotten back to me. This is incredibly poor customer service. I was hoping for a “patch” or “update” to fix the problem. I am a physician and have to diagnose problems all of the time just based on someone’s history of the problem. Why cannot Palm or Verizon do the same? Have I not spoken to the appropriate people? I even emailed my complaint to the Palm Corporate Office with no response.

After so many problems with the 700P, on my last call to Verizon a few days ago, a supervisor said that maybe I should switch to a refurbished Palm 700wx. I could switch to the Palm 700wx, but I like the Palm OS/700P interface, and most importantly, I have approximately $500.00 worth of Palm OS programs on my Treo that I would have to re-buy for the Windows Mobile OS. Furthermore, some of the programs are not even available as a Windows version. I don’t know if the 700P has a memory problem or processor problem as the 700w did, hence the introduction of the 700wx. I have enough RAM remaining on the phone with the programs installed that memory should not be a problem. I have heard that a Palm OS based Treo 755P may be coming to Verizon in May 2007. Might this solve the problem?

Please let me know if you have a solution to this problem. The only other solution I can think of is to try the Treo 680 at Cingular/ATT, or become a loyal customer of Black Berry due to its great customer service track record, or the Motorola Q, since it runs Windows which seems to be more a more stable OS and is smaller and cheaper than the 700wx.

Thank you,
    WJC
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Count me in!
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I think we need this guy to communicate with Palm for us. At this point it seems the only was they might get the message.
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    I think we need this guy to communicate with Palm for us. At this point it seems the only was they might get the message.
    HAHA Yeah, someone needs to do that to Palm Headquarters.
    WJC's letter tells the story of why Palm WON'T fix things. Look at all he has gone through with his 700P, and yet he STILL sticks with a non-functioning phone. Palm knows it has a captive audience, and it can fix things (or not) whenever it feels so inclined.

If you folks really wanted some action, you might consider mailing each and every malfunctioning device to Ed Colligan. If he couldn't get in his office due to the mountain of dead or dying Treo's, he might just realize that you mean business. But if you keep coming back to the trough again and again and again, where is Palm's motivation to fix anything?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Never have even knowing this thread has existed.. I figured that writing wouldn't do jack squat based on everything in this thread dated 4/12/07 and before. What I did was besides doing a open letter or petitononline.org petition what I did was filed a complaint via the BBB (bbb.org) In under a week it got me very quick dialogue with some representatives of Palm Inc.
    Below is my happy read:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=150210
    I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxred View Post
    I'm in.
    Is Palm still in business?
    I got your back on this one. Count me in!!!
    By the way Mods... I think this tread needs to be a sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    By the way Mods... I think this tread needs to be a sticky
    It used to be.
    Before jumping ship for the iPhone. Try running without any of your third party apps.
    HP200LX -> Palm Pilot -> Palm III -> Sony PEG-300 -> Sony PEG-N710C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> (iPhone or Treo 800L or something unexpected)??
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    Before jumping ship for the iPhone. Try running without any of your third party apps.
    I confess that I still carry my Treo 650. However, it is interesting for how many things I turn to the iPhone first. Spent the w/e with my niece and her husband. We were a three iPhone family. Apple store around the corner. They no longer carry their Treos.
    It appears that Treocentral is not the only source of frustrated Palm users. Engadget has joined the cause with a well penned letter going over some of the same irritations that we have with Palm and then going much further with other areas in need of improvement with some great suggestions.

Read Here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/21/d...-intervention/
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    It appears that Treocentral is not the only source of frustrated Palm users. Engadget has joined the cause with a well penned letter going over some of the same irritations that we have with Palm and then going much further with other areas in need of improvement with some great suggestions.

Read Here:

Ah... if they only knew of my complaint.....
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post

Read Here:
    I do not understand this assertion. Treocentral is hardly the "source" of our frustration, Palm is. Indeed if we could not vent here, we might be a great deal more frustrated than we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I do not understand this assertion. Treocentral is hardly the "source" of our frustration, Palm is. Indeed if we could not vent here, we might be a great deal more frustrated than we are.

I believe what they were trying to say is that Treocentral is not the only place where a lot of frustrated Treo users gather - i.e. there are frustrated Treo users at other sites as well. (Some wags would suggest that every Treo user is a frustrated Treo user. )
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chupacabra View Post
    I believe what they were trying to say is that Treocentral is not the only place where a lot of frustrated Treo users gather - i.e. there are frustrated Treo users at other sites as well. (Some wags would suggest that every Treo user is a frustrated Treo user. )
    Correct!
  20. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Add me - the beep when speaker off is driving me nuts...
    Cheers

Charles