Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A clean install is always best. This Treo 600 to a Treo 650 thread is still valid. If you have a prior PalmOS device -- DO NOT just sync your new 680 to your current userid -- it will cause problems; follow the instructions in this link and just substitute the number of your current PalmOS device in the instructions where the word "600" is and relplace where you see "650" with "680". An ounce of pervention is worth a pound of cure!

Cheers, Perry.

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450
    I followed your advice and did a clean install from my 650 to 680. It worked flawlessly and I had no issues with resets. I installed my 3rd party programs one by one. Again, no issues.

It was well worth the time.

Thanks again.
    Dennis G. Esler
  3.    #3  
    Another satisfied discussion denizen, benefiting from the collective knowledge of the forum.

Sticky in 680 forum please.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Don't undersand what all the fuss is about.

(1) Hotsync 650
    (2) Unpack 680 and install Desktop over existing 650 desktop
    (3) Hotsync 680 using ALL the 650 settings
    (4) Start using 680 ! The End!

I did this. The only problem I had was that AgendusPro was 'quarentined' by the 680 HotSync wiz. So I needed to install this with a second HotSync.

So, what am I missing? Why all the complicated steps??
  6.    #6  
    PRIOR DEVICE SETTINGS CAN AND WILL LEAD TO A BUGGY DEVICE DOWN THE ROAD.

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK IF YOU WISH TO HOTSYNC DIRECTLY TO A PRIOR DEVICE USERID WITHOUT RENAMING THE BACKUP FOLDER.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philmair View Post

(1) Hotsync 650

I did this. The only problem I had was that AgendusPro was 'quarentined' by the 680 HotSync wiz. So I needed to install this with a second HotSync.

Well, for one thing, if you're on a Mac, and you gave up on Palm Desktop a long time ago, as Palm itself did, you probably use Missing Sync to sync directly to Apple's sync services. In which case, the above method won't work.

Even if it did, I'd still be a little scared of some preference file getting corrupted in the process. So I think you basically should start from scratch. Turn the backup conduit off. Sync just your calendar and contact data first, and then start replacing your apps a few at a time with fresh copies. You have to set up all your preferences again, but it's worth it, if you ask me. That way, there's less chance that some random file that only works on the 650/600 or whatever ends up on your 680.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    Sticky in 680 forum please.
    <pinned>
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    Well, for one thing, if you're on a Mac, and you gave up on Palm Desktop a long time ago, as Palm itself did, you probably use Missing Sync to sync directly to Apple's sync services. In which case, the above method won't work.

Even if it did, I'd still be a little scared of some preference file getting corrupted in the process. So I think you basically should start from scratch. Turn the backup conduit off. Sync just your calendar and contact data first, and then start replacing your apps a few at a time with fresh copies. You have to set up all your preferences again, but it's worth it, if you ask me. That way, there's less chance that some random file that only works on the 650/600 or whatever ends up on your 680.
    I'm moving from a T3 to a 680. This method looks like it makes sense. I'd DEARLY like to keep the same Palm User ID, so I don't have to email 40 software publishers to ask for a new authorization code.

I'm using a Mac G5. So, would I then just clear out the following folder:

(user) > documents > Palm > users > (user name) > backups

???

That way, I can sync the contacts, memos, calendar (disabling the backup conduit) & load the apps back in, being careful not to include any apps/utilities that are made to accomodate the T3's extended screen.

I BELIEVE (and tell me if I'm off base here), I can keep the same Palm user ID, since no pref files are initially being synced.

Judges???
    I agree...Fresh install works all the time.
    Visor Deluxe (Green), Vsior Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor phone, treo 270, treo 600, GSM treo 650, treo 680, Treo centro, treo 755p.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pighood View Post
    I'm moving from a T3 to a 680. This method looks like it makes sense. I'd DEARLY like to keep the same Palm User ID, so I don't have to email 40 software publishers to ask for a new authorization code.

I'm using a Mac G5. So, would I then just clear out the following folder:

(user) > documents > Palm > users > (user name) > backups

???

That way, I can sync the contacts, memos, calendar (disabling the backup conduit) & load the apps back in, being careful not to include any apps/utilities that are made to accomodate the T3's extended screen.

I BELIEVE (and tell me if I'm off base here), I can keep the same Palm user ID, since no pref files are initially being synced.

Judges???

I am not a Mac user -- but clearing the backupfolder (or renaming it backupold) has the same effect (3rd party apps and settings will not be restored) -- you can use the same userid and only your PIM data will be restored -- and then you can install (as if new -- not from a backup) your 3rd party apps. (GET the most current versions while you are at it.)

I went from a T3 to my 650 in this manner (except on a PC.)

Cheers, Perry,
    Quote Originally Posted by philmair View Post

(1) Hotsync 650

If an app was quarantined, it probably will do something unpleasant if reinstalled. It may happen quickly or it could wait a few days, or even weeks, and you will be tempted to automatically blame the most recent application used.
    Makes total sense. I religiously keep the latest versions of all my apps (most especially ZLauncher, now at 5.4.2), so Loading 'em up five at a time seems like a good way to identify any bad apples.

The real test will come when trying to extract the date/folders now stored in my 64MB SD card, and transferring it to the new 1GB card I'm getting with the Music Package.

Is it a simple drag-and-drop procedure?
    I did the hotsync my 650 and hotsync my 680 and had no issues at first. Then yesterday it decided to not hotsync (it would reset every time I tried to hotsync). No amount of hard resets and restores would fix the problem). I just finished a clean install and all is well.

Thanks to PowerRun, I only had a few apps to install. The rest came along when I refreshed my shortcuts from within PowerRun.
    I am going from Clie (like a Palm IIIx) to 680...... a total amatuar.... any suggestion would be greatly appreciated......

I was thinking to just copy address.dat, calender.dat, and memopad.dat into where they should be, after I install what's on the CD, (I should be receiving my 680 tomorrow), do you think that will work? what would you suggest?

thanks a bunch for your help in advance!
    i've got a question. i'm moving from a treo 650 to a 680. i currently have palm desktop and outlook installed. i recently installed outlook when i received a blackjack, and subsequently "touched up" my address book by retyping every contact into the outlook contacts with uniform name formats, correct mobile/work numbers, a few email addresses, etc.

would i be better off just doing a final 650 sync, uninstalling the palm desktop software completely, and installing the 680 software (and choosing to sync with outlook), in effect "starting fresh?" i'm not concerned about transferring software, appointments, contacts, etc. from my current palm desktop application. would i still need to rename the palm backup folder after uninstalling the software, or would the uninstall remove all traces?

i understand that if i want to sync pictures/videos, they will still be sync'd with the palm desktop software. but i plan on maintaining my contacts, tasks, appointments, etc. with outlook. am i on the right track?
    I did the simpletons approach.
    Went from a 650 to 680. Using the palm instal. Kept the same ID name and all worked perfect. All the 3rd parties were backed up in a folder and that was that.
    I am pretty certain that all should be OK HOWEVER are the learned ones saying that this is a bad thing to do? Please advise.
    Are you saying a clean instal in reuired to make it uber good.
    Please advise you clever dicks!
    I am no expert but I do know that a lot of apps leave junk and orphans around that might get reinstalled into your 680. Aside from corrupting the 680 in some way, there are things that may have been making your 650 sluggish as well and you will end up transferring at least some of them over to the 680. I have not reinstalled everything on my 650 in order to get rid of the junk, because it is just too much work. But I do intend to do that with the 680 so at least I start out right. I am going to keep the old user name, however--there's no danger in doing that as long as you don't install from the old files.
    In following the instructions per the link provided to do a clean install, do you use the palm wizard to do the hot sync, or just cancel it out and push the conduit button? I've renamed the folder and am trying to sync from the wizard. I'm at the page that says "choose a hot sync name" and I've selected my existing name. I've ignored the part that says give your device a username because I'm thinking that means to make a new name and I don't want to do that. But nothing happens when I click on Next (although it is lit as on option).

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by lattelady; 12/04/2006 at 02:30 PM.
    I firmly believe that if you do the Palm say so of the instal frfom a 650 to a 680 then it loads all your info re contacts, calender etc only and moves as a saftey measure the 3rd party apps to a folder.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast