Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    when my 680 arrived, i had a problem doing a clean hotsynch on my 650.... big problem, right?

NOT!

1. I just beamed over the addresses, memopad, tasks, etc. and it was sweet! (if you use categories, just be sure to create matching catergories on the 680 side so that when you beam stuff over, you can do it one category at a time)

2. then i did clean installs of most 3rd party apps (one by one) and then beamed over their data files (e.g. brainforest, splashid), finally

3. did a backupbuddy "restore" of selected files, e.g. splashforest categories file, brainforest categories file, blazer saved pages and blazer bookmarks.

It's all good!!!
    Last edited by MapaMan; 01/09/2007 at 08:13 PM.
  2.    #62  
    New userid or the same as your 650? I am assuming a different one. If it is the same -- you may have some issues with your first hotsync of the 680.

Your beaming method with new 3rd party installs is how I went from my Tungsten T3 to my 650 -- with a new userid for the 650. In that way I could run parrallel for awhile. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    I already have a 680, but Im getting another one since I have to return my current one. I can just plug in my new 680 and hotsync right? or is it better to start it out fresh by installing each program again?
    m100 Zire 72 Treo 650 Treo 680
    For some odd reason, NVBackup did nothing. Nada. Zip. It looked like it worked, but when the 680 reset, it was still like it was in the original state. Very odd.

Restored from Resco Explorer without any hitches. And so far, no problems! I've had to set up a few programs again, but most are fine. Not sure why that is.

I did make sure that all of my apps were up to date before migrating. Now I'm deciding which apps get to live in ram now that I have lots free.
    Quote Originally Posted by MapaMan View Post
    when my 680 arrived, i had a problem doing a clean hotsynch on my 650.... big problem, right?

NOT!

1. I just beamed over the addresses, memopad, tasks, etc. and it was sweet! (if you use categories, just be sure to create matching catergories on the 680 side so that when you beam stuff over, you can do it one category at a time)

2. then i did clean installs of most 3rd party apps (one by one) and then beamed over their data files (e.g. brainforest, splashid), finally

3. did a backupbuddy "restore" of selected files, e.g. splashforest categories file, brainforest categories file, blazer saved pages and blazer bookmarks.

It's all good!!!
    Sorry, just not worth it. I never suggested that I could not do it, only that it was not worth the effort to get to no BT headset and short battery life.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by employedslacker View Post
    I already have a 680, but Im getting another one since I have to return my current one. I can just plug in my new 680 and hotsync right? or is it better to start it out fresh by installing each program again?
    Same device (model) -- you are good to go to just hotsync.

Unless, the problem was actually software corruption and not a hardware issue -- then you would just be bringing back the problem to the new unit.

Go ahead and hotsync. If the problem surfaces on the new unit -- hard reset and then do the clean install. Otherwise, you will be good to go with a minimum of fuss.

Cheers, Perry.
    I had to return my Treo 680 to Palm because it had a dead pixel. When I received the new one I hotsynced the old Treo's content right over to the new one but had the feeling it was particularly sluggish. So I did a hard-reset and then a clean install of everything (took me a lot of time !) but now the new Treo's much faster... (imho)
    PalmAttitude.org
    your n1 french-speaking Palm resource on the web !
    I'm currently using a T3 and am thinking of upgrading to Treo 680. I have several programs on my T3 that I want to use on the 680. The most important at this point is my TomTom Navigator 4.3. I'm almost certain that this will not work on the 680, but does anyone know what I have to do to make it work or am I just out of luck and need to get a navigator plan from my carrier.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i moved from a 700p to a 680 and i had problems hotsyncing. everytime i tried to hotsync, my 680 would reboot itself. i decided to install palm desktop v4.2 that came with the 680. did a hard reset on my 680 and it worked, then it worked. so if you're coming from a 700p, make sure you install the palm desktop that came with the 680.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Should I still do all of this if I only have one 3rd party software installed on my old device? How is all this different from what Palm tells you to do on their web site?
    I did not follow the clean install instructions, but it seems the new Palm Desktop software has this built in.

When I synced my 680 to my 650 data, it warned me things might be incompatible and suggested I only sync my calander, to-do and contracts, so I did.

Is that the exact same thing as following these instructiosn?

Please help, since I am now suffering from the gibberish issue, and I have to return my 650 shortly.
    Ok, I've read this whole thread. I'm OK with doing a clean install. The ONLY thing that I can't figure out how to do is this:
    How do I get the substantial Text Message History from my old 650 to my new 680.
    If someone could tell me how to do this, it would be great. I can't migrate without it because I have too much conversation I must be able to reference. I sync on a Mac using missing sync.
    Many Thanks.
    Michael
  13.    #73  
    Christinac130: are you aware of what files on the 650 house the SMS history and whether they could just be copied to the 680?

(I sent her a private message, as well, hopefully she will check in and have an answer.)

Cheers, pp.
    This should work. Go to...

Program Files
    Palm Folder
    Backup Folder
    Messages_Database.prc (or something similar)

Just click on it and it should go into "Quick Install" for your next hotsync. I would do it last, after your completely clean install. That way if it conflicts with the 680, you can delete the file using FileZ. You will always have the copy in your 650 backup folder anyway. There's a program out there that allows you to read them on the Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    This should work. Go to...

Program Files
    Palm Folder
    Backup Folder
    Messages_Database.prc (or something similar)

Just click on it and it should go into "Quick Install" for your next hotsync. I would do it last, after your completely clean install. That way if it conflicts with the 680, you can delete the file using FileZ. You will always have the copy in your 650 backup folder anyway. There's a program out there that allows you to read them on the Mac.

there is a program in mac that can read what? sms messages? iwould like to know... thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    A clean install is always best. This Treo 600 to a Treo 650 thread is still valid. If you have a prior PalmOS device -- DO NOT just sync your new 680 to your current userid -- it will cause problems; follow the instructions in this link and just substitute the number of your current PalmOS device in the instructions where the word "600" is and relplace where you see "650" with "680". An ounce of pervention is worth a pound of cure!

Cheers, Perry.

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450
    Hi folks,

Believe it or not, I just bought a refurbished Treo 680 because it was cheap and would be an inexpensive substitute for my old dying 650 until I/we see where Palm is headed in the future. I know, Centro is tempting, but for the plan I'm locked in to with AT&T, Centro was $199, Treo 680 $79. Easy choice.

I just read the first 25 posts to this "upgrade to 680" thread. Very helpful. I also read Perry's linked directions which describe upgrade from 600 to 650.

Just to be sure, I'm going to ask the following question, and y'all can feel free to inform me about how it can't possibly work. But if I don't ask, I'll be tempted to try it (and that would probably be a bad idea).

My Cingular/ATT Treo 650 has a 2 gb SD card in it. I use BackupPro to periodically backup everything from the internal memory to the card. That SD card of course will fit nicely into the 680.

You can see where this is headed...

So what do you think of me doing one last BackupPro backup to my SD card in my 650, then pop card out, pop into Treo 680, and do a full-restore?

Laugh, administer dope-slaps, but better that I endure a little derision than do something stupid if it is destined to failure.

Lemme know. Thanks!
    -- Josh
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Hi folks,

Believe it or not, I just bought a refurbished Treo 680 because it was cheap and would be an inexpensive substitute for my old dying 650 until I/we see where Palm is headed in the future. I know, Centro is tempting, but for the plan I'm locked in to with AT&T, Centro was $199, Treo 680 $79. Easy choice.

I just read the first 25 posts to this "upgrade to 680" thread. Very helpful. I also read Perry's linked directions which describe upgrade from 600 to 650.

Just to be sure, I'm going to ask the following question, and y'all can feel free to inform me about how it can't possibly work. But if I don't ask, I'll be tempted to try it (and that would probably be a bad idea).

My Cingular/ATT Treo 650 has a 2 gb SD card in it. I use BackupPro to periodically backup everything from the internal memory to the card. That SD card of course will fit nicely into the 680.

So what do you think of me doing one last BackupPro backup to my SD card in my 650, then pop card out, pop into Treo 680, and do a full-restore?

Laugh, administer dope-slaps, but better that I endure a little derision than do something stupid if it is destined to failure.

Lemme know. Thanks!
    -- Josh
    Hi Josh,

I would normally say . . . an ounce of pervention is worth a pound of cure. . . . . . . . however, give it a shot. If the 680 works flawlessly for a couple of weeks after . . . you might be in the clear.

If the 680 starts acting funky . . . . . then you can do the clean install.

Fair?

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi Josh,

I would normally say . . . an ounce of pervention is worth a pound of cure. . . . . . . . however, give it a shot. If the 680 works flawlessly for a couple of weeks after . . . you might be in the clear.

If the 680 starts acting funky . . . . . then you can do the clean install.

Fair?

Cheers, Perry.

Sounds good. If it screws up, I can always fall back on using the 650, wipe the 680 clean, and do it the slow but surer way. Thanks.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Hi folks,

Lemme know. Thanks!
    -- Josh
    Been there, done that, have the tee shirt. It validated my previous belief that Palm does a poor job of backward software compatibility.

That said, it is worth a try. Depending upon what programs you have on your 650, it could just work. I had so many porgrams on my 650 that trying to identify the offending one(s) was so great that I put the 680 back in the box and gave it away.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast