Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
    well after giving myself a crash course in comma seperated values, and an hour's worth of trial and error, i think i have managed to export my clean and tidy contacts list from outlook over to palm desktop (for my treo 650).

honestly, it was a royal pain in the ****. but much easier than re-typing all 300+ of them. i still had issues getting the email addresses transferred, as the palm desktop software wanted to interpret them as work phone numbers, no matter how i set up the csv import/export settings. i just had to manually fix those contacts for which i had email addresses assigned, which was less than 20 or so. this process also involved completely deleting the prior contacts list, and choosing not to archive. i then changed the sync settings to "desktop overwrites handheld," performed a sync, and my super-duper contacts list was sent over to my treo. mission accomplished

now i should be safe to follow the directions at the beginning of this thread when my 680 arrives tomorrow. here's to hoping my cd works
    I have never succeeded in getting Palm Desktop to do an export, much less gotten Outlook to import it.
    After doing the safe method and bringing over PIM data only, is it safe to BEAM over some of the apps one at a time from your 650 using something like LauncherX, etc? Or does that also risk bringing over orphans, leftovers, etc...

And for that matter is installing only an app's .prc files directly from a backup folder safe? I know I've done that with Snapper's data files so I wouldn't have to reconfigure from scratch... and it seems to have worked just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer View Post
    After doing the safe method and bringing over PIM data only, is it safe to BEAM over some of the apps one at a time from your 650 using something like LauncherX, etc? Or does that also risk bringing over orphans, leftovers, etc...

And for that matter is installing only an app's .prc files directly from a backup folder safe? I know I've done that with Snapper's data files so I wouldn't have to reconfigure from scratch... and it seems to have worked just fine.

To avoid inevitable problems that can be caused by beaming apps OR installing from Backups, I suggest you install apps from the original .prc file, or the most recently updated app from the developers. Read this thread from the very beginning, and the link from the OP.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I need to "test" my 680 first. I have no problem (and agree) with doing a clean install on the 680, but if it does not work for me...

how do I go back to the 650 from teh 680 ?

Can I simply resync my 650 with the new 680 desktop ?

Any 650 handset / 680 desktop compatability issues ?

thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo View Post
    I need to "test" my 680 first. I have no problem (and agree) with doing a clean install on the 680, but if it does not work for me...

how do I go back to the 650 from teh 680 ?

Can I simply resync my 650 with the new 680 desktop ?

Any 650 handset / 680 desktop compatability issues ?

thanks.
    I do not think that you easily do this. In order to try it, I installed my SIM and a 1G SD card in my 680. I then restored the backup from the SD to the 680. While many applications worked others did not. Palm is notorious for not maintaining forward or backward compatibility.

I particularly wanted to test Bluetooth. While the 680 recognized and paired with a number of headsets, it would not use any of them. I do not know whether this is a 680 problem or the result of the programs that I installed. As described here, doing a clean install of the 680 is a non-trivial task.

If you use the procedure recommended by Perry, you will be able to go back to your 650 by renaming backupold. However, you will lose any changes to your data that you did on the 680. I would not be hopeful that you could sync the 650 to the 680 image.

In my brief test I learned that the 680 Blazer is much faster than the one on the 650. Battery life on the 680 is so bad as to belie "mobile." BT may or may not work on the 680. Given this information, the high level of satisfaction with the 650, and given the high hurdle of getting the 680 both current and stable, I am unable to get up the motivation for the move.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    thanks.

Ultimately, my question is whether I can use the desktop that ship swith a 680 on a 650...
  7.    #47  
    You will need to do nothing as far as the Palm Desktop is concerned -- the "650" desktop and conduits are still there.

However, if you do go back to the 650 -- I would do the clean install procedure again(without the desktop install) ---- only this time, the 650 will be the "new" device -- so that no 680 settings come back and "haunt" the 650.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo View Post
    thanks.

Ultimately, my question is whether I can use the desktop that ship swith a 680 on a 650...
    Perry seems to think that you can. However, given Palm's record for version-to-version compatibility, I would not count on it until I found at least one more person who agreed that you can.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Perry seems to think that you can. However, given Palm's record for version-to-version compatibility, I would not count on it until I found at least one more person who agreed that you can.
    Well, as whmurrary says . . . the proof will be in the pudding -- the desktop overwrite and prior device conduits being left in place has worked from the Palm Pilot up thru the Treo 650 for me.

I have not personally overwritten the 680 desktop over a 650 desktop. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Thanks - I will do a clean install both directions. Hopefully, I will not have to regress, but I weill report back.
    Perry - Thanks for the post!

I got my 680 yesterday and installed it over my Treo 600. It seemed alright but encountered errors (some thing to do with registry) later during synchronization. Then I saw this post and did the clean re-installation - and synched it successfully. Now I have to find which 600 apps will work on 680.

680 is major improvement over my aging 600. Bright colors, quicker, improved PIM, more applications - looks like I moved from Pentium to Pentium IV.

One complaint though - connecting or disconnecting the synch cable was much easier on 600. Press the sides and cable comes out easily. On 680 I have to literally pull it out hard. I was afraid that cable or connectors might be broken.

Is there a easy way?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmy49 View Post
    Perry - Thanks for the post!

I got my 680 yesterday and installed it over my Treo 600. It seemed alright but encountered errors (some thing to do with registry) later during synchronization. Then I saw this post and did the clean re-installation - and synched it successfully. Now I have to find which 600 apps will work on 680.

680 is major improvement over my aging 600. Bright colors, quicker, improved PIM, more applications - looks like I moved from Pentium to Pentium IV.

One complaint though - connecting or disconnecting the synch cable was much easier on 600. Press the sides and cable comes out easily. On 680 I have to literally pull it out hard. I was afraid that cable or connectors might be broken.

Is there a easy way?
    Not really. For some reason that eludes me, Palm prefers separate power and synch cables. It helps to get a one-piece power-synch cable from Seidio. http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=18 This cable is much more robust, stable, and reliable. It is still pretty stiff but I am never afraid that I am about to break the connector on the Treo.
    Last edited by whmurray; 12/21/2006 at 08:23 PM.
    Thanks for the link! I looked at Seido and these look better.
    I did not. Because my 650's software was "Palmone" and the 680 is "Palm" had both running at the same time. Had to break everything down to factory, re-install, new userid and then everything works.

Joel
    Since many here are going from 650 to 680, if you were planning to use your seidio headphone adapters (the non-jack versions) - don't do it. They don't work.
    Don't preach, I know all the best methods... Now..

Has anyone tried doing an NVBackup of a 650 and restoring it to a 680? There are some obvious things like my Phone overlay (to enable network select) that i'd have to get rid of, but I'm curious if it'll work at all.

I don't use any desktop software, so I'll either be doing a restore, or installing a bunch of stuff via SD card. I'm hoping I can just restore things. Perhaps before I get the 680 I'll list out my "required" apps so that I can at least get them installed first thing, then work in the other stuff. I have a lot installed. Either way, I'm going to try a restore from NVBackup just to see what happens.
    I did almost everything from Backupman and had no problems at all. I didn't even have the new Desktop version when I later hotsynced. I used the old 650 software for a while and it worked fine. I think there's a lot of panic here over nothing. A couple of things didn't work, and when I used the supplied software it segregated them. Some of them didn't work, and others I put back on and they worked fine. I really have no serious problems in this area at least.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I did almost everything from Backupman and had no problems at all. I didn't even have the new Desktop version when I later hotsynced. I used the old 650 software for a while and it worked fine. I think there's a lot of panic here over nothing. A couple of things didn't work, and when I used the supplied software it segregated them. Some of them didn't work, and others I put back on and they worked fine. I really have no serious problems in this area at least.
    Thanks For the INFO...............my 680 will be here tomorrow and I have a 650 now and need to put my 650 programs onto my 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by medenblik View Post
    Thanks For the INFO...............my 680 will be here tomorrow and I have a 650 now and need to put my 650 programs onto my 680.
    Mine has been here for a month. Make me an offer.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I just recieved my 680, I have 650 now, I followed your post on getting the 680 to sync. Well no matter what I do the 680 will not sync, says cannot connect with computer, I have rebooted both computer and 680 and I tried with cradle (from 650) and with sync cable from 680 box.....Still not syncing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Keith
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast