Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lattelady View Post
    In following the instructions per the link provided to do a clean install, do you use the palm wizard to do the hot sync, or just cancel it out and push the conduit button? I've renamed the folder and am trying to sync from the wizard. I'm at the page that says "choose a hot sync name" and I've selected my existing name. I've ignored the part that says give your device a username because I'm thinking that means to make a new name and I don't want to do that. But nothing happens when I click on Next (although it is lit as on option).

Thanks for any help!
    I've messed up! I didn't wait for an answer and I've done the wrong thing. I gave my device a new name (because it wouldn't let me go forward without it) and now I can't get it to hotsync to my old username. I can see both user names and have the old one checked as the primary (hot sync custom...) but when I actually hot sync, it keeps using the new name. I know there is an easy answer to this, I just don't know what it is! Help!

NEVER MIND!! Found the answer on another thread!
    Last edited by lattelady; 12/04/2006 at 03:11 PM.
    Newbie here...or it sure feels like it today.

Just got my 680 - upgrading from a 650, which was upgraded from 600.

I was following Perry's instructions...hotsynced my 650, renamed the back-up folder, stuck the CD in...and nothing - it works on machines (w/o any Palm software) and CD drive works with other disks. It just spins a bit and then nothing happens. I've restarted, tried other drives, tried run, used explorer to open autorun file- and nothing.

Should I just hot sync now?

There's gotta be an operator error(me) here somewhere.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated
    open the autorun file on the disc and see which file it points to (usually setup.exe or something similar). double-click whichever file that is.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Can anyone say what conduits are installed with the 680 version of the desktop?

For example, if I were to uninstall my current version and install the Palm Desktop/HotSync conduit from the 680 CD, what conduits are available?

- old PIM conduits?
    - Note Pad conduit?
    - Voice Memo conduit?

Thanks.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cecyks@yahoo.co View Post
    I am going from Clie (like a Palm IIIx) to 680...... a total amatuar.... any suggestion would be greatly appreciated......

I was thinking to just copy address.dat, calender.dat, and memopad.dat into where they should be, after I install what's on the CD, (I should be receiving my 680 tomorrow), do you think that will work? what would you suggest?

thanks a bunch for your help in advance!

Did the Clie install with the Palm Desktop?

What is the path listed to a userid and a "backup" folder on your PC?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by dessa View Post
    Can anyone say what conduits are installed with the 680 version of the desktop?

For example, if I were to uninstall my current version and install the Palm Desktop/HotSync conduit from the 680 CD, what conduits are available?

- old PIM conduits?
    - Note Pad conduit?
    - Voice Memo conduit?

Thanks.

What is your current device?

I am just going to install the 700P desktop (Christmas gift from the family) right over the top of my 650's. (I also did this when I went from a Tungsten T3 to the 650.)
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by River City Dawg View Post
    Newbie here...or it sure feels like it today.

Just got my 680 - upgrading from a 650, which was upgraded from 600.

I was following Perry's instructions...hotsynced my 650, renamed the back-up folder, stuck the CD in...and nothing - it works on machines (w/o any Palm software) and CD drive works with other disks. It just spins a bit and then nothing happens. I've restarted, tried other drives, tried run, used explorer to open autorun file- and nothing.

Should I just hot sync now?

There's gotta be an operator error(me) here somewhere.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

You must get the 680 desktop installed . . . . .
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    What is your current device?

I am just going to install the 700P desktop (Christmas gift from the family) right over the top of my 650's. (I also did this when I went from a Tungsten T3 to the 650.)
    It gets complicated

MY current device is a Treo650 (with NotePad added from another device and sync-ing with the desktop).
    We still have a T3 (NotePad and VoiceMail) in use by my daughter and a Visor Prism (old PIMs) as a backup.

I also have always updated the desktop "in place" to keep all the old conduits. [Although when I get a new computer, I usually forget to install all the old ones first and have to go through a "chain-install" when I get to the first "Why didn't/won't that sync?" point ]

I bought my wife a Crimson 680 which palm has said shipped on Saturday- maybe it is waiting at home now.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dessa View Post
    It gets complicated

MY current device is a Treo650 (with NotePad added from another device and sync-ing with the desktop).
    We still have a T3 (NotePad and VoiceMail) in use by my daughter and a Visor Prism (old PIMs) as a backup.

I also have always updated the desktop "in place" to keep all the old conduits. [Although when I get a new computer, I usually forget to install all the old ones first and have to go through a "chain-install" when I get to the first "Why didn't/won't that sync?" point ]

I bought my wife a Crimson 680 which palm has said shipped on Saturday- maybe it is waiting at home now.
    I'm the same . . . . 2 Zire 71s, a T3 and a 650 syncing to the same desktop . . . I would go with the over install one more time. I am going to over install the 700p desktop in 21 days . . . .(daughter's 700p is syncing to her laptop.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Did the Clie install with the Palm Desktop?

What is the path listed to a userid and a "backup" folder on your PC?
    the Clie worked exactly the same as Palm III, no difference. But I don't remember the path that was listed, because my Clie already died on me!

Hopefully I can just do the same again, move the files and hopefully everything works out...
    Believe there are some differences with the Clie and I cannot remember if it is necessary to uninstall the Clie desktop. Suggest you go to 1src.com where there are a good many Clie users, some of whom migrated to the TX, and can explain precisely what steps they took.
    Can someone please let me know if there's a way to import existing memo file into missing sync memopad?
    my current situation:
    - I am a Treo newbie, but have used Palm III before;
    - I have Palm memo file (memo.dat) that is only on my computer but not on my palm;
    -just got a Treo 680;
    - just got a mackbook so I have downloaded missing sync to use instead of the palm desktop, as recommended by many in this forum;
    - synced contacts from Address book and calenders from iCal with no problem;
    - have asked mark/space tech support but no replied....

thanks everyone and I love this forum!!!!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Worked for me. Thanks Perry. Anyway to download old pic's to the new 680?
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    I assume you can always just BT them. They get sent to media at your option.
    I'll try here. I followed the guidelines but I'm still missing all of my contacts, calendar, and tasks. I've tried restoring them from the old backup file but it's not working. Any ideas?
    something must've been wrong with the file. I re-hotsync'd old phone (after putting it back together) and everything's good now.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    Worked for me. Thanks Perry. Anyway to download old pic's to the new 680?

If you have a card reader -- copy them to the DCIM directory on your SD card. Your 680's media application should be able to find them there.

If no card reader -- use the palm install tool -- open it and navigate to the photo you want to load and select loading to the SD card or internal memory. I would suggest the SD card for space saving purposes.

Or are you saying that your photos in the media application of the Palm Desktop did not transfer to the new device?

Need a file viewer/manager for the PalmOS:

Filez (freeware)
    www.nosleep.net
    click on Downloads
    select FileZ

Be careful -- deleting and moving files can be dangerous if you do not what they are for. . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
    i've got a question. i'm moving from a treo 650 to a 680. i currently have palm desktop and outlook installed. i recently installed outlook when i received a blackjack, and subsequently "touched up" my address book by retyping every contact into the outlook contacts with uniform name formats, correct mobile/work numbers, a few email addresses, etc.

would i be better off just doing a final 650 sync, uninstalling the palm desktop software completely, and installing the 680 software (and choosing to sync with outlook), in effect "starting fresh?" i'm not concerned about transferring software, appointments, contacts, etc. from my current palm desktop application. would i still need to rename the palm backup folder after uninstalling the software, or would the uninstall remove all traces?

i understand that if i want to sync pictures/videos, they will still be sync'd with the palm desktop software. but i plan on maintaining my contacts, tasks, appointments, etc. with outlook. am i on the right track?
    well after giving myself a crash course in comma seperated values, and an hour's worth of trial and error, i think i have managed to export my clean and tidy contacts list from outlook over to palm desktop (for my treo 650).

honestly, it was a royal pain in the ****. but much easier than re-typing all 300+ of them. i still had issues getting the email addresses transferred, as the palm desktop software wanted to interpret them as work phone numbers, no matter how i set up the csv import/export settings. i just had to manually fix those contacts for which i had email addresses assigned, which was less than 20 or so. this process also involved completely deleting the prior contacts list, and choosing not to archive. i then changed the sync settings to "desktop overwrites handheld," performed a sync, and my super-duper contacts list was sent over to my treo. mission accomplished

now i should be safe to follow the directions at the beginning of this thread when my 680 arrives tomorrow. here's to hoping my cd works
    Of course as a newbie i'll step outside the trend

motorola microtac (original brick) > nokia 6185 (small brick) > sony ericcson t68i (welcome to civilization)> nokia 6101 (ok now I'm a bit cool)> Treo 680 (superstardom??)
    A clean install is always best. This Treo 600 to a Treo 650 thread is still valid. If you have a prior PalmOS device -- DO NOT just sync your new 680 to your current userid -- it will cause problems; follow the instructions in this link and just substitute the number of your current PalmOS device in the instructions where the word "600" is and relplace where you see "650" with "680". An ounce of pervention is worth a pound of cure!

Cheers, Perry.

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450
    Perry, you and I both know that Palm is terrible at maintaining backwards compatibility, so your advice is probably correct. That said, this is simply one more reason why this is not an "upgrade." If one must follow this advice, then it is closer to "start from scratch." By the time one gets to a stable and functional system, you will have declared silly season again.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast