Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got my 680 yesterday as an upgrade from a 650. The new form factor is most welcome. The new button layout is a little annoying because I find I use the drop down menu button a lot more than the home button.

Anwyay, my main concern is the unit's performance seems to "stutter", which is a probably I never experienced with my 650. What I am experiencing is:

If I am scrolling through the list of apps in Launcher, it will scroll smoothly through the first 4 or 5 apps, then pause and scroll through the next 5 very quickly as if trying to catch up with the pause.

This behaviour manifests in a lot of applications. If I'm writing a text message, it will pause and stop responding for a few seconds but whatever letters I type during the pause will appear after the pause.

I've tried a hard reset and even a clean Treo still exhibits this behaviour. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Try it with no SIM card - perhaps your SIM card is the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by canfraggle View Post
    Just got my 680 yesterday as an upgrade from a 650. The new form factor is most welcome. The new button layout is a little annoying because I find I use the drop down menu button a lot more than the home button.

Anwyay, my main concern is the unit's performance seems to "stutter", which is a probably I never experienced with my 650. What I am experiencing is:

If I am scrolling through the list of apps in Launcher, it will scroll smoothly through the first 4 or 5 apps, then pause and scroll through the next 5 very quickly as if trying to catch up with the pause.

This behaviour manifests in a lot of applications. If I'm writing a text message, it will pause and stop responding for a few seconds but whatever letters I type during the pause will appear after the pause.

I've tried a hard reset and even a clean Treo still exhibits this behaviour. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I have had my 680 for a couple days now and am experiencing the same issue. The same pause like it is trying to catch up as you stated, then flys by the next commands. Don't think it's the sim card. I'll see how the next few days go but if this is the norm I may go back to my 650.
    My 680 and my father's 680 both have the same issue. I don't find it to be a hindrance but it is just a little annoying.
  5.    #5  
    The worst part is it's completely unpredictable. It was working fine earlier today and now it's acting up again.
    That's what I am getting also. It doesn't happen as much but when it does it is kinda annoying.

I also hard reset with no 3rd party apps and it seems like it's working OK which leads me to think that it's probably some app(s) that I have that may be causing it.
    I have experienced this as well. I'm quite used to it because my Kyocera 7135 did it constantly as well. I think it has something to do with the phone "talking" to the cell network and "hogging" the CPU while it happens.

I'm guessing this because it does not seem to happen to me at all when the phone portion is turned off.
  8.    #8  
    It's weird since the 650 and 600 never did this and I've been using the same sim card in all 3 phones. Doesn't the 680 and 650 share the same processor?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbulante View Post
    That's what I am getting also. It doesn't happen as much but when it does it is kinda annoying.

I also hard reset with no 3rd party apps and it seems like it's working OK which leads me to think that it's probably some app(s) that I have that may be causing it.
    I have no 3rd party apps installed yet and and I'm getting the lag as well.
    After using the 700p for half a year and experiencing stuttering up the wazoo, I almost forgot that the 650 doesn't suffer as much from this effect.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  11.    #11  
    Err......... so this is normal? The 700p does this as well? I can think of only expletives right now.
    AAAAHHH!! Very discouraging! As a 700P owner, I too have been experiencing a similar "lag" for 6months. I am wondering though if it is less dramatic on the 680? Any 700p users out there now new 680 owners? What do you guys think? Better or worse? I especially noted it on my 700P when entering/exiting Blazer, and accessing some programs on an SD card (some are completely unusable on the 700P, while worked flawlessly on my 650 and 600). It seems as if the memory upgrade to 64MB on both the 680 and 700P have some sort of problem that causes this lag. Other folks have postulated that the lag is just due to whatever software folks have loaded, but since some of you are experiencing the lag after doing hard resets, I am betting its a hardware issue. Why does the Palm TX c 128MB run as fast or faster than a 600 or 650, but the new palm Treos (700P and 680) have a lag? Especially frustrating as Palm has yet to fix this issue on the 700P and went ahead and released the 680, which now sounds as if it has the same problem!! I would love to hear more about what people are experiencing, especially those who had/have 700P's and now have new 680's. Palm needs to figure this out...the Treo 750 is looking better and better!
    thanks,
    d
    Has anyone of enabled push mail in Xpress Mail?
  14.    #14  
    Don't have xpress mail. Is this problem only affecting some users or are people just used to it? I've gone through 4 Palms in the (3x 600 & 1x 650) in the past and this is my first time seeing such a problem.
    I too have noticed the errant app scrolling on the 680. Another thing I have noticed is that the battery life makes the treo 680 almost unusable for me. Granted, I have bluetooth on and I am always connected to the internet, but I had 15% left on my battery after my 11 hour workday. Since I am often on call for 24 hours this is going to suck until seidio comes out with an extended battery. Any ideas when that will be?
    I too have this lag but this only developed after I loaded all my applications. I have this with my 650 and I had hoped it would no longer be an issue. The worst offender is Agendus v11.5, the today view lag is longer on the 680 than the 650.

The battery is a concern. The extended version for the 650 would just about last the day for me. So far the 680's is a disappointment but I suppose that is the price we must pay for the svelte exterior until an alternative becomes available.....
    Well, I hate to say this, but this is probably going to happen on any Palm OS device at some point or another. As soon as you have more than 2 or 3 background applications (mine are email and IM), then you're going to hit situations where they need to do stuff at the same time.... and Palm OS *doesn't support multitasking*. So, for the time that the background application is busy using the processor, the foreground application you're trying to type at doesn't seem to respond... and therefore you perceive a pause.

I see this on my 650 when I'm tapping away a long message and go back to find 2 or 3 characters missing in various places. Annoying, but not something a new Garnet release will fix. We need ALP... and we need it last year.
    I have NO APPS, I repeat, NO APPS installed on my 680 and I am getting the lag. Never got it on my 650.
    As a previous 700p I will say that the pauses I've seen on the 680 are much smaller and less frequent than the 700p. I don't think it's in the same league.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc View Post
    AAAAHHH!! Very discouraging! As a 700P owner, I too have been experiencing a similar "lag" for 6months. I am wondering though if it is less dramatic on the 680? Any 700p users out there now new 680 owners? What do you guys think? Better or worse? I especially noted it on my 700P when entering/exiting Blazer, and accessing some programs on an SD card (some are completely unusable on the 700P, while worked flawlessly on my 650 and 600). It seems as if the memory upgrade to 64MB on both the 680 and 700P have some sort of problem that causes this lag. Other folks have postulated that the lag is just due to whatever software folks have loaded, but since some of you are experiencing the lag after doing hard resets, I am betting its a hardware issue. Why does the Palm TX c 128MB run as fast or faster than a 600 or 650, but the new palm Treos (700P and 680) have a lag? Especially frustrating as Palm has yet to fix this issue on the 700P and went ahead and released the 680, which now sounds as if it has the same problem!! I would love to hear more about what people are experiencing, especially those who had/have 700P's and now have new 680's. Palm needs to figure this out...the Treo 750 is looking better and better!
    thanks,
    d
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Really? Lag? I suppose it all depends on what we've grown accustomed to. I came from a Motorola SLVR, and that device suffered MASSIVE lags. So I suppose, from my point of view anyway, the 680's a HUGE upgrade in that department.

EDIT: I've tried to reproduce some of the situations you guys have described and can't seem to do so. Apps in Launcher scroll smoothly, text input on the screen appears immediately, no pause whatsoever. Maybe I'm not as fast as you experienced guys at using the thumboard?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast