1.    #1  
    I can't find any good ones compatible with palm OS.
    Is there a reason why you want an SD GPS receiver? And keep in mind you'll need to get one with built in storage space so you can actually store your maps somewhere.
  3.    #3  
    So I can have GPS that isn't restricted to:
    1. car
    2. wireless network
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoposer View Post
    So I can have GPS that isn't restricted to:
    1. car
    2. wireless network
    By wireless network do you then mean bluetooth?
  5.    #5  
    I meant something like the telenav, which works off cingular, but also bluetooth devices. I want something completely independent getting direct feed from satellites.

This is a SD GPS, but it's only for pocket PCs:
    http://www.globalsat.com.tw/eng/prod...l_00000053.htm
    I still have no idea what you're talking about...

Telenav is a service.. It's not a GPS.

I doubt there are any SD GPSs that will work, get a Bluetooth GPS. Only downside is you can't use a headset and the GPS at the same time. $80 or so for the Holux 236, works great.
    I don't know what he's talking about either but I have TomTom Navigator that I use with my 650 and it is amazing. No wireless--naturally. I don't know of any GPS that uses wireless except for BT--and not just for car. I used it for walking around Paris and the Loire all last summer.
  8.    #8  
    Exactly, telenav is a service that works through a wireless carrier (such as cingular). I am looking for an actual GPS system that receives data directly from the satellite in case I am in an area where there is no cellphone service. The link I provided is a GPS receiver that plugs into the SD slot, and you have to buy separate software that actually has the maps and interface. I don't want to have a bluetooth receiver since it's not very practical to walk around with
    I don't want to have a bluetooth receiver since it's not very practical to walk around with
    Why wouldn't they be? Some are small enough you won't even know it's in your pants pocket. Unless you wear super uber tight pants... Or if you're traveling with your wife or g/f just throw it in her purse, it's bluetooth it still works; no big deal.

Another thing, assuming you found a working SD GPS card for Palm, it would be sticking it's way out of the card slot on the side of the 680. It wouldn't really fit anywhere (Holster, carrying case, car mount, etc) except in your hands.
    Here's a Palm-compatible SD GPS. However, it only functions with Golfgps, Mapopolis Navigator and Pathaway. (Still available here).

I suppose the biggest downside of a Bluetooth GPS is that it must be charged separately from the handset. Many of them will last 8+ hours, and some are so tiny that velcro-ing one of them to the handset will hardly increase its bulk.

Conrad
    Last edited by Conrad; 11/30/2006 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Added Semson's link
    Exactly, telenav is a service that works through a wireless carrier (such as cingular). I am looking for an actual GPS system that receives data directly from the satellite in case I am in an area where there is no cellphone service. The link I provided is a GPS receiver that plugs into the SD slot, and you have to buy separate software that actually has the maps and interface. I don't want to have a bluetooth receiver since it's not very practical to walk around with
    By the way, Telenav uses a GPS unit. I'm not sure why you think it doesn't. Perhaps it CAN use aGPS inside a phone, but generally it does not.

You're just confusing the whole issue, it has nothing to do with aGPS vs GPS, you should have just said "A bluetooth GPS is inconvenient."

So since you have..

You really want a card sticking out of the top of your Treo? Do you use an SD card now? Do you want to lose access to those programs, music, etc? Do you really want to swap cards all the time? Guess what; GPS navigation software and maps are large, you'll want an SD card to store them..

As already said, you can leave the BT GPS in your pocket if it's a Sirf III, works fine, and no swapping SD cards out all the time.
  12.    #12  
    So which GPS package would you recommend for car and portability use, ie. if I get the sirf III, what software?
    Have you looked at Delorme?

A Bluetooth to PDA device -- but as stated -- set it in anywhere, car, coat pocket, shirt pocket., belt clip. . . . .

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...092&item=24716
    You might want to consider a separate GPS. Battery life coupled with an SD card will be impacted. You can get a Garmin Nuvi 350 as a standalone for perhaps what you'll spend on this additional hardware and it's battery life is about 6 hours - and of course it's selfcontained etc.

I learned long ago with a T3 and TomTom - not to couple GPS into a Palm environment because of "too many" devices to carry. I went dedicated GPS even after having a iQue 3600 and M5 -

I use a Nuvi660 in my car and I use a Nuvi350 that's in my travel/laptop case.

The 660 has BT and FM and FM Traffic and acts as a speakerphone with my 650 and should act with the 680 when it's received. The clarity is very good both inbound and outbound and when set as a car kit (not a headset) it can redial the last number etc - It will also dial the POI's via the Treo when searched so it's easy to make dinner reservations to a restaraunt that's not in the Treo.

This is my suggestion - I will never converge GPS again on my phone as long as Palm does not build in a GPS receiver into the Treo.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Well obviously each to his own but I really love my (tiny) TomTom receiver BT'd to my 650
    I'm using the Holux Slim 236 BT receiver. Its light, fast, has extremely good battery life and most importantly its small. The newer Holux receiver is even thinner but slightly longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Well obviously each to his own but I really love my (tiny) TomTom receiver BT'd to my 650
    Agreed - to each his own.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidT. View Post
    I'm using the Holux Slim 236 BT receiver. Its light, fast, has extremely good battery life and most importantly its small. The newer Holux receiver is even thinner but slightly longer.
    What is the new Holux receiver called? I have been eyeing the 236 for awhile, but "newer" sounds better.

Edit: is this the one: http://www.holux-uk.com/Products/gpslim236/index.shtml
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)