Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am starting to *really* like this phone, but the ongoing volume problem is very frustrating. I'm wondering if it is unique to the Cingular branded version, or if unbranded Palm phones are the same.

Does anyone know for sure, preferably by direct comparison between the two?

Is it possible that this is network related? I know that many people on this fourm don't have volume "issues" with the 680, but here in Orlando everyone that I tried is still far too low for me.
    There are no unbranded ones. Yet. Those are the ones that Palm has not yet shipped out.
    As far as the volume goes... I had VolumeCare on the 650 and had the volume level up around 80%.

I get the same level of sound on the 680 with the sound level raised to the next to last bar.

Speaker phone seems a lot louder as well.

Oh... I have a Cingular 680.
  4.    #4  
    Well *this* is not a good sign...

I stopped by my Cingular store thinking about swapping my phone out to see if another one is louder.

The sales droid said he would be happy to swap it out, but I would probably just return that one too. When I asked him why he said, "because some other people have already returned this phone with the same problem".

I'm thinking about returning this and waiting for reports from people with the Palm branded version...

BTW, the speakerphone is *plenty* loud for me; just the earpiece volume sucks.
    I really can't believe they didn't fix the volume issue ?!? I was seriously thinking of upgrading to the 680 from my 650, but I was already outraged that they never fixed the volume problem on the 650, I don't think I can be bothered to buy the 680 if they couldn't be bothered to fix the volume issue ...
    Let me remind you that the 680 has the BEST CLEAREST SOUND ever for treo's. Just so cool and clear. Let the cooooolness begin
    Ditto that. I find the earpiece volume too low as well.

Hoping my new BT headset (Plantronics 655) is a viable workaround, or that VolumeCare or something can help.

But, "out of the box"..the handset volume IS low - at least on my 680.

Since some here swear up and down that it's "fine", I wonder if there's variance in the volume between handsets..
    I'm using an unlocked 680 (UK) and although I've only had the device a few hours I'm not sure that the quality has improved much but the volume is much louder and a significant improvement over my Treo 650.
    My 680 is WAYYYY loud. MUCH better than my 650! With the 650, if I wasn't using VolumeCare I couldn't use the phone outside. I have had asbolutely no problem with the 680's volume level whatsoever. As loud, if not louder than most normal phones.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Volume is not an issue for me. I never have it turned up high and the speaker phone while driving during a heavy rain on the highway with my kids in the back of the car was flawless. Crystal clear and loud. I just now used the earbud to test for this thread and found it plenty loud. I only used it 1/2-2/3 or the way up. Clear and loud as well. (Using a Cingular branded)
    Quality is great, much better than previous model. Volume not so great.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Ditto that. I find the earpiece volume too low as well.

Hoping my new BT headset (Plantronics 655) is a viable workaround, or that VolumeCare or something can help.

But, "out of the box"..the handset volume IS low - at least on my 680.

Since some here swear up and down that it's "fine", I wonder if there's variance in the volume between handsets..
    Now I don't want to be insensitive (or, as I might say if I really were insensitive, deaf to the feelings of others) but maybe it could also be due to differences in hearing?????
    Volume loudness is not a problem on the 680 for me. It's definitely much louder than the 650, probably about the same as a 700p.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Volume has not been an issue for me.

I got my 680 a week ago today. I had Volume Care installed on my 650, and have not found the need to even try to install the app on my 680 as of yet.

The volume situation is LEAPS better!
    It is where it should have been for the 600 and 650!!
    (I'm posting this in 2 relevant threads so sorry if you have read this already)

I have an unlocked 'Copper' 680 and there is definitely an issue with low volume in the phone app. The hardware is fine since the ringer volume is really loud at only half volume settings (4) and PTunes plays really loud and clear - I am extremely happy with the quality of the speaker. BUT when I try and use the speaker as a speakerphone (hands free) it is very quiet and muffled at full volume (using the left side volume button to max it out).

So at least for me it seems to be a software issue with the phone app.
    So at least for me it seems to be a software issue with the phone app.
    I seem to be having the exact same issue you are. My phone is also a GSM unlocked version from palm. Everything on the phone is LOUD and I mean LOUD...except when holding the phone to my ear for a phone call and when using the speakerphone for calls.

Therefore, I know that the speaker works just fine...since ptunes and the system sounds can be heard a mile away...it must be some kind of phone application bug preventing the volume from boosting. I tried a hard reset but that did nothing. I also loaded volume care and it does not seem to do anything at all...plus no response from the customer service.

Hope there is a fix soon because I love everything else about this phone.
    same here, unlocked\unbranded version. Speakervolume has improved a lot...except for the phoneapp. In combination with the phone, speaker volume is almost unusable. Did a hard reset without any luck.
    Mine is white, unlocked. Earpiece sound is loud and clear. The speaker volume during a phonecall is usable but not as loud as when it is playing MP3. It is only a minor issue to me.
    I like the phone so much, I bought $10,000 worth of Palm stocks yesterday.
    Last edited by icesalmon; 12/09/2006 at 01:17 PM.
    same thing with the unlocked graphite. vol is way low and even with vol care i don't find the phone app as loud as i was able to make it on the 650. it
    seems this maybe the first common problem...
    My 680 earpiece is "low" as well.

But - if I use my BT (Plantronics 655), Volume is goodness.

Try a headset as a workaround.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast