1.    #1  
    I have contacted every Rhode Island Cingular dealer looking for a 680. More than one has told me there is a software problem, so they are not getting them. I gather from the threads that this is bull. Confirm??
    Well apparently people in Oregon must not care about bugs because there doesn't seem to be a problem getting one here.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I think there actually is some truth to that story. Palm did put a patch out about a month ago for those 680s that were in use. I'm sure they had to patch everything else that had been manufacturered, as well, and that probably contributed to, maybe even caused, the immense delay we have experienced. What you were told was just a bit inaccurate in that it seemed to imply that the software problem is an immediate cause at the moment when in fact it probably was the overall cause but really occurred several weeks earlier.
    I don't agree at all. This is just another example of these stupid internet rumors that everyone believes with no facts at all. This rumor comes out about this huge manufacturing goof and a week later they are in Cingular stores. Don't believe this at all. Palm is selling the unlocked, it only makes sense that they sense the unlocked after Cingular gets theirs out first. I don't see any "immense delay".

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think there actually is some truth to that story. Palm did put a patch out about a month ago for those 680s that were in use. I'm sure they had to patch everything else that had been manufacturered, as well, and that probably contributed to, maybe even caused, the immense delay we have experienced. What you were told was just a bit inaccurate in that it seemed to imply that the software problem is an immediate cause at the moment when in fact it probably was the overall cause but really occurred several weeks earlier.
    No, this is not a rumor. This came directly from a beta user and friend of mine who had the 680 all that time, and also received the patch about a month, or perhaps 6 weeks ago. This is not the supposed missing wire or whatever for the speaker. I think people who have had the phone will confirm that in fact a patch did come out at that time.
    Well I don't know what rumor/problem you are referring to if it's not the speaker wire thing. Of course there will be patches/fixes when a phone is in testing with a vendor. That's what testing is for.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    No, this is not a rumor. This came directly from a beta user and friend of mine who had the 680 all that time, and also received the patch about a month, or perhaps 6 weeks ago. This is not the supposed missing wire or whatever for the speaker. I think people who have had the phone will confirm that in fact a patch did come out at that time.
    I didn't say it wasn't appropriate. I said it occurred. And if a patch was necessary that far down the road, it seems clear that a whole lot of inventory had to be reflashed. I think that probably took the time that has caused much of , if not all, the delay we are experiencing.
    Are we yet sure there is a delay? The only date I have seen from Palm is after Dec 1st, just in time for Christmas. Now that being said if they had produced units that needed upgrading that could explain the confusion and vague answers everyone is getting as they are not sure if they will be done in time. I am chomping at the bit just as much as the next Treo-addicted person monitoring these threads, but it may not be as bad as it seems yet. Years ago I worked for a rep firm for a modem manufacturer. 2 days before they release date of an aticipated model release a major bug was found and all units had to be reflashed. They were able to work around the clock to get units out in time and it worked out. From the outside people were wondering what was going on as it was hush hush while it was going on but the amount of work, threats etc. going on inside was much worse. Moral of the story if there is a problem and they are working to make it right and get them out the door all will be forgotten. I would rather have a small delay and confusion than get it and have to upgrade it in a week and have the frustrations I did when the 650 came out.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Every single release of a new product, ordering and shipping from Palm has been a mess. It seems to be tradition that the people you talk to on the phone have no clue what is going on. I don't think this is anything different this time. No big delays or other problems, just normal operational incompetence.
    I go for bull....