1.    #1  
    Anyone know whats up with this?

I have a treo 700p and at work, I have very poor (1-2 bars to no bars) coverage. I am using EVDO/constantly connected. I've noticed that the battery gets drained REALLY fast.. like 8 hours standby at best.

Is there a way around it? Battery life is otherwise fine in good coverage.

Thanks!
    Mir
    In a poor coverage area the Treo continually searches for a better signal and drains the battery in doing so. If you are in a "NO COVERAGE" zone -- it is best to turn your phone off. Many people have gone with carrying a spare battery or getting one of the extended life 2400 batteries. I do not think there is a way to turn the signal search feature off.

Cheers, Perry.
    Have the same problem when I'm in Whittier Ca, but as soon as I leave that area its ok. Same for my 650, I just turn it off.....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    same with most phones i've used
    I'm in the same situation at work, but worse. It was so bad that at the end of the day my Treo was dead...and I never even made a call! At home (4 bars) it lasts seemingly for days on standby with no calls. So I downloaded the amazing and free Profilecare. When at work, since I really couldn't reliably make or receive calls, I have it turn off my phone at 8:30. Then, at 5:30 it comes back on. Sure you could do this manually, but if you're like me, you'll forget and then miss all sorts of calls at night until you look at the Treo and see that the phone is still off. My ancient Moto StarTac had a "powersaving" mode that kicked in when the signal was too low. Amazing how seven years later you can take so many steps backwards.
    You're in the same boat as I am. I do have enough signal to make/receive calls, though the coverage seems to fluctuate between towers (as is the case in most weak-signal areas). I think a combination of constant tower switching based on such things as wind speed, solar interference, ground traffic, AND higher power output on your phone is the cause of the rapid drain.

Of course you don't want to turn off your phone b/c you'll miss something, but the best thing to do is to carry your charger or a hotsync cable with you and leave your phone plugged into it. That will keep your battery charged all day long.

Also, I would recommend carrying a BT headset for making/receiving calls in a low-coverage area. That way, you can position the phone in a good spot so you don't drop calls during a conversation.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    this is nothing new, and its not just on the Treo Mostly everyphone i have ever owned has battery problems when its constantly searching for service
    I've noticed it's much worse with CDMA phones. GSM phone batteries seem to last much longer in weak coverage areas.
    It's not just a searching for service issue. Cell phones vary their power output and signal amplification depending on signal strength. In a low signal area, the phone's probably pumping out maximum power to maintain communication with the tower. The more power the phone uses, the faster it drains the battery. No way to avoid it other than getting a new job.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by u2mir View Post
    Anyone know whats up with this?

I have a treo 700p and at work, I have very poor (1-2 bars to no bars) coverage. I am using EVDO/constantly connected. I've noticed that the battery gets drained REALLY fast.. like 8 hours standby at best.

Is there a way around it? Battery life is otherwise fine in good coverage.

Thanks!
    Mir
    You can try #*#3836# (#*#EVDO#) and force the 700p into 1xRTT.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdbjr View Post
    You can try #*#3836# (#*#EVDO#) and force the 700p into 1xRTT.
    Once in 1xRTT, how do you get back to EVDO?
    Larch just un-check or check your choice.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    I've noticed it's much worse with CDMA phones. GSM phone batteries seem to last much longer in weak coverage areas.

GSM is affected the same way with weak signal. I have a BB with Cingular and it drains badly with poor signal. With normal signal it lasts for a few days.
    One thing I have noticed if roaming in weak areas- each time my 700P switches towers the screen turns back on. So in addition to the other problems stated above, my screen is constantly turning on-off-on-off...
    That adds to battery drain. But, and this is probably obvious, you can switch your 700P to "roam only." If the signal is more reliable, you are stationary, and you have unlimited roaming, your battery use may improve. If you remain on your primary carrier, and the signal is weak, the phone will continue to search on high power.

Another thing- you may try to update your PRL (preferred roaming list) by calling your provider's customer service and asking them for an update. This changes the carrier preferences in your phone, so when roaming, your phone might search for a better tower. This made the difference between night and day at my house. This actually changed the phone from being totally unreliable to being totally dependable.
    My 700p turns on not only when switching SID's but I also suspect it does occasionally when switching PNs.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  16.    #16  
    i swear its far worse with the 700p vs the 650!

i wonder if it is linked to EVDO.. so there's no real hack to throttle the tx or to lock the tower or otherwise bar constant searching?