Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Ok this is probably a stupid question to ask... but I was recently considering / waiting for the 680, until I realized that if I do in fact move to Japan in about a years time, no way would I be able to use the 680 over there.

From what I am able to gather from reading here, the 700p MAY work over there, and more then likely the 750 will, but I'm not sure. One post I read basically made it sound like the 750 will work, so that means the 700 should as well right?

Ideally I want a non MS smartphone (due to various reasons, not because I don't like the MS system) with a QWERTY keyboard that would work over there... anyone have advice on where to point me in the right direction to research this out? My grasp of reading Japanese isn't very high (although not zero), which definitly does not help when researching online.....
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    The only Treo that will work in Japan is the 750v. You have to have 3G to work in Japan. (There are non-3G phones in Japan but they only work there.) In terms of global smartphones with 3G, I think there are only a small handful--the Treo 750v, The HTC TyTn or the Nokia E62 that I know of. The first two are WM and the Nokia is Symbian. I wish there were a Palm OS phone that works in Japan but there isn't and most likely never will be. I have a 650 that I use in the rest of the world and a 750v that I use for Japan travel. Once I get used to WM, I'll most likely use the 750v everywhere.
    Actually the 750v and the HTC TyTN will. The E62 won't it doesn't have 3G. The E61 will work in Japan, but it's not sold in the U.S. and it doesn't support 3G in the U.S. since Cingular uses different 3G frequences. The 750v and TyTN are the only tri-mode UMTS products that I know of right now and are the only world compatible 3G phones.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tips, I knew that there were interoperability "issues" with Japan's cell systems, and now I got a better idea of how it works. I'll check out the Symbian ones, basically I'm working in a Linux environment (no choice) and want one that syncs easily... WM5 support isn't there yet, but I have no idea about Symbian, I'll research that out.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680