1.    #1  
    Hello,

After 8 months my lost phone was found. Someone found it and returned it to me. It had been replaced by Lockline with a new 650. My question is..Can this phone be used? I would like to activate it again to give to my son. Is this possible or is the phone blocked on Sprint's network forever?
    If not, is there any use for it?

Thanks
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    spare parts!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Once you report it lost/stolen, it won't work on that network any longer as they flag it. As christo1970 mentioned, its still good for spare parts or you could use it just for the PDA functions.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun View Post
    Hello,

After 8 months my lost phone was found. Someone found it and returned it to me. It had been replaced by Lockline with a new 650.
    If it was replaced by someone, doesnt they own the old 650 now?
    Hello,

After 8 months my lost phone was found. Someone found it and returned it to me. It had been replaced by Lockline with a new 650. My question is..Can this phone be used? I would like to activate it again to give to my son. Is this possible or is the phone blocked on Sprint's network forever?
    If not, is there any use for it?

Thanks
    Hi speclcajun!

Interesting situation. Does your son already have a line of service or would you be adding one? I guess that really does not matter. I would think that Sprint would be more than happy to unlock a coded lost ESN for the increased sales that they would generate. It would seem that this would be possible. If you, as the owner, called up 2 days after the loss and said it was found -- I find it hard to believe that they could not reactivate it.

The issue now is moving it to a new or different line of service than it was originally on and whether Lockline would like it back or not.

I would call Sprint and Lockline -- and give it a shot.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    You could always add a GPS receiver or use it as an MP3 player.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi speclcajun!

Interesting situation. Does your son already have a line of service or would you be adding one? I guess that really does not matter. I would think that Sprint would be more than happy to unlock a coded lost ESN for the increased sales that they would generate. It would seem that this would be possible. If you, as the owner, called up 2 days after the loss and said it was found -- I find it hard to believe that they could not reactivate it.

The issue now is moving it to a new or different line of service than it was originally on and whether Lockline would like it back or not.

I would call Sprint and Lockline -- and give it a shot.

Cheers, Perry.
    Hi Perry,

Thanks for the reply. I would love to have it replace one of my son's phone because his crapped out. I was a little hesitant to contact Sprint/Lockline because I thought that they might say that now that it has been recovered that I owe them for the replacement. Guess the only way to find out is to call them. Thought perhaps someone had been in my situation before. Thanks again.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Call, but don't tell them you found it. Tell them some place found a Treo and you have to go and claim it to make sure its yours. That way if they say you must pay, you can say it turns out it wasn't yours.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Hi Perry,

Thanks for the reply. I would love to have it replace one of my son's phone because his crapped out. I was a little hesitant to contact Sprint/Lockline because I thought that they might say that now that it has been recovered that I owe them for the replacement. Guess the only way to find out is to call them. Thought perhaps someone had been in my situation before. Thanks again.

Worst case I believe -- is that Lockline would want it back -- if an insurance claim has been paid on a lost item -- my understanding is that the lost item now belongs to the insurer who paid the claim. If it is found -- they have 1st dibs on it -- however -- I do not think they could make you pay cash for the replacement they gave you or get that one back. The lost puppy is theirs -- just like sunken ships where claims have been paid -- it's theirs to use to cover the claim that they paid.

In this case, I give even odds that they say keep it -- or would be more than happy to let you reactivate it for $20 or so. Of course, Sprint will probably want $36 to activate a "new" phone on your son's line -- so now you are up to $60. Then again -- how are your skills of verbal persausion?

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/28/2006 at 12:04 PM.
    I remember this happening with a different phone (v710, I think) on howardforums about a year ago...

Someone lost their phone, got the insurance claim, and it was then returned to them. They called lockline and let them know they found the phone.

lockline said they didn't want it, and couldn't reverse the insurance claim. So they basically got to keep the phone.

I would definitely contact lockline and see what they say, as not doing so could very likely constitute insurance fraud. The lost phone, according to their terms, becomes their property once they process the claim. If you call them and offer to return it to them, and they say they don't want it, then it is then considered abandoned property, and yours for the claiming

Once that happens, you as the original owner of the phone, have the right to remove the phone from sprint's lost phone blacklist. Just call them up and tell them that you reported your phone lost, got a replacement, and just now found your original phone and want to activate it again. They should be able to remove the ESN from their blacklist so that it can be reactivated.

Then you can do whatever you want with it...Son's line, eBay, etc. But definitely contact lockline first and let them know you found the lost phone. Not doing so could put you at risk for some serious legal problems: Insurance fraud, using stolen property, or selling stolen property (if you choose to eBay). Make sure you get the name of the agent, the date, and the time that you called lockline in case something should come up...although I doubt it will.

The only other possible situation is that lockline will want the lost phone back. If they do, make sure that they pay for shipping as it's not your responsibility to pay for the costs of returning their property to them. If they say they want it back, then they will likely send you a prepaid box to put the phone in and send it back to them.

They won't make you pay for the replacement phone, as once they paid the claim, the new phone became your property and the old phone became theirs...there is no way that they can reverse that now.

Ultimately: You have nothing to lose by calling them, and a free phone to gain. Worse that will happen is that they will send you a box to return the phone to them, they may ask you to destroy the phone (which you legally have to do if they ask it). Best case is they say they don't want it, at which point you get to keep it and do as you please!
    Last edited by adamstew; 11/28/2006 at 01:36 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks to all for your helpful answers. I'll be calling in the next few days and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    You can always use it for its non-phone functions ... great to have in the bathroom to kill the time or on the night stand for a last game of Scrabble before bed. Its also still good as a MP3 or video player and low-end digital camera.