Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What a coincidence. I went to the door to check if the Royal Mail delivery man left a note or anything, and there he was, standing right in front of me! Creepy. But who gives. I've got the 680 in my hands, am reading the "Read This First" book, and my grin has just stretched from ear to ear.
    Congrats! UK right? Getting it before the North Americans....now that was quick or are we slow?
    mine will be here within 2 hours. OHH man!
    Bravo to Expansys uk for getting them way before anyone else, including palm..........now what is the story there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    mine will be here within 2 hours. OHH man!
    Bravo to Expansys uk for getting them way before anyone else, including palm..........now what is the story there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe
    THAT is the real question my friend...quite ridiculous imho...delaying shipment in you own backyard in your key/biggest market thus frustrating them while ppl overseas get shipment under a week...quite silly.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    THAT is the real question my friend...quite ridiculous imho...delaying shipment in you own backyard in your key/biggest market thus frustrating them while ppl overseas get shipment under a week...quite silly.
    Phone works great, PDA functions work great. Have been fiddling around with it for a while, under the "guidance" of my housemate (experienced TX user and long time Palm advocate). Will upload photos later this evening. Haven't really had too much opportunity to play around with the phone, but I get the tingly feeling inside that I'm gna love it.

Check back later for updates. Am off to lectures now. mmmm Reaction engineering and Process Dynamics & Control to look forward to.
    Branng,

props for not joining the 'dark side'

u were soooo gonna buy that 750v at one point
    Yeah, but the price for the 680 over there is $555US. I think I'll wait, refrain from cancelling my order, and use the extra $150 - $200 for ... oh, I don't know... maybe I'll just keep it in my wallet a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Yeah, but the price for the 680 over there is $555US. I think I'll wait, refrain from cancelling my order, and use the extra $150 - $200 for ... oh, I don't know... maybe I'll just keep it in my wallet a while.
    Actaully 299 GBP = 582 US...when you put it that way i can wait too!
    I think the price has come down a bit from 299. It's 284.95 right now.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Are you folks on that side of the pond eligible for the trade-in as well? That's what was really enticing for me - trade in an operational but "broken" (my volume rocker is gone) T650 and make my total price $275 US - I'm happy to wait a few days I guess - but only marginally

Danita
    Still..I can wait two weeks...at least it'll be a great Christmas present once it ships!
  12.    #12  
    Just got back from lectures, took a few pictures of the 680, and I seem to have misplaced the cable that connects my camera to my computer! AHHH! Annoying.

Anyway, here's the rundown. I love the phone. It's a GREAT phone, EASILY thrashes my SLVR in terms of call quality and signal strength (and the SLVR wasn't too bad in that department either), and for some strange reason, it doesn't feel any bulkier than my SLVR in the pocket. Perhaps it might to do with the fact that my SLVR had a case, but it was a very tight fitting one, and even with the case on, the Moto was still WAYY slimmer than the Treo.

With regards to the complaints about the plastic stylus, I think I prefer it over kyll05's (my housemate's) all metal stylus on his TX. It feels, grippier (as in, it feels less likely to slip of my sweat-prone palms), and I like the fact that it's not a solid metal bar; more like a real pen which I use everyday, which has a LITTLE give.

The Treo is VERY responsive - programs launch very quickly, no noticable lag or delay, and things read off my SD Card (2GB 133x) very well. No problems using Pocket Tunes and other applications simultaneously whatsoever.

Nothing's perfect though, and the same can be said about the 680. The most annoying thing thus far, is the way Contacts are organised; you can only arrange contacts by Last Name, then First name, or Company Name, then Last Name. I haven't actually found a way to arrange contacts by First Name, apart from actually switching the two round when entering new contacts into the phone. Of course, the drawback with doing that is in all other programs (e.g. messaging), names will show up the wrong way.

For example, say I input Harry Whitefield as Last Name: Harry, First Name: Whitefield, so that things in the contacts list will be organised by the actual first names. If I started a "message conversation" with Harry, his name will appear as Whitefield Harry. I know, small annoyance, but it's these little details that make a good product, a great one. So far so good though.

I will try to find that camera cable and post those pictures later tonight to illustrate my point.
  13.    #13  
    Well, I didn't find the cable, so just uploaded the pictures directly to my PC by reading of the SDCard. Very annoying. Anyway, here they are. Warning: Dial-up users beware.

http://xs109.xs.to/xs109/06482/IMG_0394.JPG.xs.jpg
    http://xs109.xs.to/xs109/06482/IMG_0395.JPG.xs.jpg

And the first entry into Calendar (yes, work related):
    http://xs109.xs.to/xs109/06482/IMG_0396.JPG.xs.jpg

Here's to illustrate my point when entering the person's First Name and Last Name in the opposite order in the Treo. The recipient's actual name is Kenneth Lee (kyll05), image used with his explicit permission:
    http://xs109.xs.to/xs109/06482/IMG_0397.JPG.xs.jpg
  14. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Sweet pix!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz View Post
    Are you folks on that side of the pond eligible for the trade-in as well? That's what was really enticing for me - trade in an operational but "broken" (my volume rocker is gone) T650 and make my total price $275 US - I'm happy to wait a few days I guess - but only marginally

Danita
    Where did you find an option for trading in your T650?
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
    Where did you find an option for trading in your T650?
    http://web.palm.com/promos/treo650_trade_in.jhtml

Danita
    danita, how is sync mail? still a battery hog?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  18. Nuffsed
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think the price has come down a bit from 299. It's 284.95 right now.
    I paid 299 for my 680 order yesterday (monday), already a pleasant reduction from the 329 on the preorder offer email.

It didn't come today, so l'd love to get on the phone tomorrow and ask for this new price, if it's right.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    danita, how is sync mail? still a battery hog?
    I'm afraid so - the network push is pretty horrid for battery life on a 650, so I can imagine that when we get the 680s in hand it will be just as bad (if not worse) - I was hoping that I might get my 680 before I leave for Belgium Friday - I'm presenting a hands-on lab for the GMS at the GroupWiser Summit in Brugge, and it would have been cool to be able to show off a new toy! I guess there is still hope - two more delivery days before I leave <g> - but it doesn't seem likely

Danita
    MINE JUST SHOWED UP!!!!! Well at least the door hanger from FedEx was here, I am going to pick it up tonight at 5:30 at the FedEx store. The tag says it is from Palm!!!! Not bad, Im a happy camper, I'll confirm it actually is my unlocked 680 tonight when I pick it up!!!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast