1.    #1  
    Ok, so I have been fairly vocal about how happy I have been with my 680 so far in this forum and elsewhere, so I think it only fair to report that I am having to exchange my 680 in the morning for a new unit - and unfortunately on my first real day back to work after the Holiday weekend :

Things have been great until I tried to dial voice mail mid day today. The screen shows that my call is connected, but no sound!!! I tried calling other numbers and to my dismay - same issue. I called an associate from a land line and had them call my treo 680, and when I answered, they got total silence for 2 seconds, and then a fast busy signal. I soft reset the phone and got the same result....ARGHHHHHH!!!! Time to call Cingular.

I called the Palm/Cingular Line listed in the "Getting Started Guide", and they ran a series of Diagnostics to make sure that it was not a Sim/Connectivity issue, and she confirmed that it was indeed a device issue and that I should exchange the device ASAP for a new one. I called the Cingular Store where I got mine, and they have 3 and are holding one for my for the morning. I wanted to give a heads up in case anyone else had this issue.

_________________ on a separate but related? issue

I do have one question to pose to the forum. I followed the users guide to the letter on upgrading from the 650 to the 680, however, I did notice after that some here refer to a clean install? I did one last Hot-sync of my 650. I then installed the new desktop software. Per the users manual, I then Hot-synced the 680 under the same user name I had for my 680. The only 3rd party apps I have are on SD card so that was not an issue during sync. I have done this with every upgraded palm device - other than 600 - 650, which I had a friend who was a gadget guru (and no longer living ) did for me.

I DID NOT rename the backup, or create a new user name for my 680. I am wondering if this may have caused my issues? Even if the 680 has been working fine for 5+ days?

Last Question - When I get the new 680 - How should I proceed with the sync process?

any help is VERY much appreciated.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    When you get the new phone, I would suggest using the phone "virgin" for a few days before syncing with the desktop. It may also be helpful to invest in a backup program like backupbuddy.
    What's the reason for NOT syncing to the desktop? That would be the first thing to do after charging, I would think.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Well, there has to be something that is being synced onto the phone that is causing the problem, otherwise there would be numerous posts about this issue by lots of people that have already gotten their 680s.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by daytontp View Post
    Well, there has to be something that is being synced onto the phone that is causing the problem, otherwise there would be numerous posts about this issue by lots of people that have already gotten their 680s.

I actually did a hard reset and restored the phone back to factory settings, yet I still have the same phone issue. Evidently, there is an issue with this unit. I am hoping that it is an isolated single unit issue.
    Rewards Network

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Great...now I'm even MORE nervous! Hope it's a one off...
    What I've done on every new Palm OS device is to copy the user folder to another area. Then delete the user in the desktop hotsync and make a new user, then you can recreate your original user name. Hotsync contacts/calendar/etc to the new unit. Then reinstall each app one by one. I don't do this if replacing say a 650 with another 650, but when going to a new device like the 680 I would.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by daytontp View Post
    Sounds like a hardware problem to me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Sounds like a hardware problem to me.
    I agree, especially now with a hard rest back to factory settings twice...still the same phone issues.

Thanks for all the comments so far...any help on syncing going forward is still appreciated. I know I did not create a new user file or rename backup initially. Now that I am going from one 680 to another 680 (and I will run just with Goodlink for a while without syncing....I will have all my contacts, tasks and memos through Goodlink, so I can wait to sync for a few days to make sure that there are no phone issues if necessary) should I just sync away and hope for the best when the time comes?
    Rewards Network

10.    #10  
    Ok then!!! Got my 2nd 680, and everything seems great so far!! Volume was good on my last model, but actually seem GREAT on this one!!

I did a clean sync on this one - Thanks for all the advice here in the forum (especially Perry) and the PMs from the folks here with suggestions. I love this place!!! A clean Treo is indeed a happy Treo!!!

Since I have seen no more reported issues like the ones I had, I am really thinking that mine was truly an anomaly, and isolated. I continue to be really happy with this and have Goodlink reloaded and am back to full road warrior status!! Hopefully no more issues!!

Thanks again for all of your help, one and all!!!
    Rewards Network