1.    #1  
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. My girlfriend bought it for me from eBay. I am a Cingular carrier and the 650 has the Cingular mark on the front. Everything works fine.. I'm traveling to the UK (i live in California) for a month and was hoping i could use it there. How can i distinguish it trully is a GSM versus a CDMA phone. Also, (not sure) how can I determine if the phone was locked vs unlocked? Thanks ahead for any input!!!
    If you put a SIM in it then its GSM. There is a small tray near the top for the SIM card. The only easy way to determine if its unlocked is to put a SIM in for another carrier and see if it works.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedan View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. My girlfriend bought it for me from eBay. I am a Cingular carrier and the 650 has the Cingular mark on the front. Everything works fine.. I'm traveling to the UK (i live in California) for a month and was hoping i could use it there. How can i distinguish it trully is a GSM versus a CDMA phone. Also, (not sure) how can I determine if the phone was locked vs unlocked? Thanks ahead for any input!!!
    If it says Cingular on it...it's GSM...period. No further question needed. If it has the orangeman on it...it's a Cingular. If it doesn't have the orangeman on it...it might take a better look-see to make sure it is a cingular rather than a VZW. Sprint is easy to pick out...it is the dark grey one.

As for unlocked...well just as has already been said...you'll just have to try another sim card. Try getting a pre-paid T-Mo sim and see. If it doesn't let you then you have a locked phone. BONUS - the FCC just rules over the weekend (effective today) that you are allowed to unlock your phone no matter what the carrier wants to say about it so call Cingular and if they give you a hard time...just say look...I know you have the codes (not PALM) and the FCC says I can have it...so gimme my code, thanks.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Actually what happened last weekend was that the US Copyright office made it their official policy that unlocking a cell phone is not a violation of the DMCA. That basically just means that the third-party unlocking software is legal. They have no jurisdiction over the regulation of the carriers' willingness to give out codes.