Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been using the Treo 750v unlocked on Cingular for the past month or so. I have a few issues so far with it so I decided to pick up a Treo 680 to compare. Here's a first impression based on an afternoon so far:

Physical Characteristics:
    They are about the same size, but surprising the 750 "feels" minutely smaller. The 680 is much, much more slipperly than the 750 due to the 750's soft touch paint. The SD cover on the 680 is much larger, cheaper, and more flimsy than the 750. It doesn't look like the top of the 680 cover really snaps in like the 750 does. It really seems to cheapen the feel of an otherwise pretty solid device. Despite the similar size and shape, it's clear the construction of the two is very different, the cover snaps off differently and the look under the battery cover is very different. The 750 definitely feels more solid and expensive.

Display:
    The 680 annihilates the 750. Period. I agree with those that say the 750 240x240 display isn't as bad as it sounds. But the 680 is much brighter, much better colors, more vivid, and of course more pixels. Enough said, the 680 just makes the 750 look very bad here.

Graphite:
    I really liked the graphite better than I thought from the photos. Much classier looking in person. My only grip is I wish they had inverted the key colors like on the 750 and made the number keyboard the lighter keys and the others darker. I think this works very well on the 750, it's too bad they didn't do this on the 680. If the so the graphite would have been much much better than any of the other colors (which use this scheme also).

Phone:
    I love the new phone app. I think this is really the reason to get a 680. Not enough to judge on quality so far, so it seems pretty good. I will say that the 750 on UMTS is clearly better sound quality. On GSM it's too close to judge, both are certainly good.

Data:
    One major issue I have been having with the 750 is that data often doesn't connect properly. I get a connection but data won't flow. I have to disconnect and try again most of the time. No issues with the 680 it seems to work fine. One surprising thing is the data connection only shows MediaNet. I would have thought there would be another setting for the Cingular ISP connection also (like I can see on the 750). I haven't tried email on the 680 yet, I do know on the 750 you can't get email if you use the MediaNet connection setting.

Stability:
    Can't judge much yet, but I did get a spontaneous reset near the end of a hotsync via bluetooth. Not sure what happened, just looked over and it was resetting.

Ringtones:
    Disappointing so far. One thing for me is that the ringtone volume is LOUD. I know most people seem to want this, but on the lowest setting it's going to be too loud for my office. I'd rather not have to keep it on vibrate all the time. It doesn't seem to recognize any AAC ringtones which the 700p can. It has the same WAVE ringtone bug that the 700p has. WAVE files are saved to the voice memo app. From there you can copy it to a ringtone. But any sound over 200k is truncated at about 184k without any warnings. So the ringtone may sound OK at first but then it just cuts off. Six months and they still can't fix a bug!

My main issue I want to test is the bluetooth connection to my car. The 750 has major problems with this, although bluetooth overwise has been OK. I won't be able to test until tomorrow though.

I sincerely hate Windows Mobile 5. There are a few parts of it I like. The contacts and the ability to natively have MP3 ringtones is very good. The new Agenda One calendar app is great (the built-in one sticks). But overall I much prefer Palm OS. I'll try the the 680 for a few days, but I really doubt I will move to it as my main phone. The spontaneous reset was a reminder of the good old days. I haven't seen that with WM5, and yes I was syncing to it as a new user, not restoring from a previous device.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  2.    #2  
    Minor update:

So the manual says you can download an AAC file from a website and it seems to imply that you can use it as a ringtone. I did that and saved it. It shows up in Filez as a Ton-"name".pdb file like it would on a 700p. But I can't seem to get the sound app to recognize it as a ringtone. Anyone gotten AAC ringtones working on a 680?
    Useful review. interested to know if you can use BT headset AND BT GPS at the same time (answer call when on GPS). I also have a 750 and hate WM5 but this is a nice feature.

also generally how does it feel compared to a 650?
  4.    #4  
    I don't have my 650 any more, but by memory it feels smaller, nicer. It feels like a slippery 750 . I don't have any GPS devices so unfortunately that's not something I can test.

Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    Useful review. interested to know if you can use BT headset AND BT GPS at the same time (answer call when on GPS). I also have a 750 and hate WM5 but this is a nice feature.

also generally how does it feel compared to a 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Stability:
    Can't judge much yet, but I did get a spontaneous reset near the end of a hotsync via bluetooth. Not sure what happened, just looked over and it was resetting.
    The spontaneous reset was a reminder of the good old days. I haven't seen that with WM5, and yes I was syncing to it as a new user, not restoring from a previous device.
    Of course, it could be a bug, but some Palm programs can demand an automatic reset after Hotsync in order to install certain system hooks. Could this be what happened in your case?

Thanks for a great review. I have no intention of going WM5 for my phone but it's great to see such a head-to-head comparison.

As far as the device quality is concerned, with the rate at which I upgrade, these devices are really becoming commodity items to me. I think I'd rather have a lower entry price than tank-like quality for a premium.
  6.    #6  
    Very true about the automatic reset. However in this case I was only syncing contacts, addresses, and tasks. And the reset occured before the hotsync finished on the computer, it was still waiting on the backup stage.

The quality on the 680 seems pretty good, it's just the soft touch paint on the 750 has a very premium feel to it. Palm could have done much better with the flap on the SD slot however. I can't believe making it slightly more sturdy would have added any cost or weight to the 680.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Of course, it could be a bug, but some Palm programs can demand an automatic reset after Hotsync in order to install certain system hooks. Could this be what happened in your case?

Thanks for a great review. I have no intention of going WM5 for my phone but it's great to see such a head-to-head comparison.

As far as the device quality is concerned, with the rate at which I upgrade, these devices are really becoming commodity items to me. I think I'd rather have a lower entry price than tank-like quality for a premium.
    Last edited by bcaslis; 11/27/2006 at 01:50 AM.
    Very informative review.

Well at least BT sync works on your 680. I can never get it to work on my Sprint 700p.
    One major issue I have been having with the 750 is that data often doesn't connect properly. I get a connection but data won't flow.
    this happens to me all the time on my 650.

have you tried updating your dns to opendns? not an option for me.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  9.    #9  
    Yes, I've got the normal connect option and one using OpenDNS. The OpenDNS one does the lookup faster but doesn't help with the connect but data doesn't flow problem. Interestingly, the 680 is just using stock settings and it's lookup is faster than the 750 using OpenDNS. Of course on the rare times I get a good UMTS data connection on the 750 it will smoke the 680 on speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    this happens to me all the time on my 650.

have you tried updating your dns to opendns? not an option for me.
    Great review and thank you for sharing

Based on this I choose not to get 750 (display resolution lower Than 650) or 680 (no 3G & same camera as 650). Hope Treo 800 is better & sooner).
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

My main issue I want to test is the bluetooth connection to my car. The 750 has major problems with this, although bluetooth overwise has been OK. I won't be able to test until tomorrow though.
    thanks for the comparison write-up. i'm quite curious to hear about your experiences pairing the 680 to your car. this is one of the main things i'll be looking for when i get my 680 (my current SE p990 won't pair with my car, and it's quite frustrating) and i'm looking for any and all stories about how this works with the 680. please do post whether or not it works (and the make/model/year of the car you pair it with )!
    To me 750v feels like a more "premium" product than 680
    They both handle very well, except that 680 is a little faster os
    I am using an unlocked 750v on T-Mobile. If you are using an Exchange server for e-mail, it is by far the best solution out there. No more Hotsync!

I love the Palm OS and the usability of it. It is much better than Windows Mobile, but they need to get a Blackberry connect working everywhere!!
    Thanks for the great comparison. I am in a dilemna here. Got the DASH and love the size but miss touchscreen. Also just recieved the treo 750 unlocked Vodaphone version and had a few q's.
    1. I will be using it on T-mobile, do you know if the 750 having the 3G and t-mobile not supporing 3G will cause trouble.
    2. Other than differences in OS, what other major differences do you see in terms of speed and stability. Is the screen resolution really that bad? since I will be using on T-mob, the 3G/UMTS does not make a difference.
    3. Comparison on Phonescoop shows that while 750 is lighter, the 680 is smaller in size
    4. Taking UMTS out of the quation, is there a difference in call quality
    Thanks very much in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by crabkilla View Post
    I am using an unlocked 750v on T-Mobile. If you are using an Exchange server for e-mail, it is by far the best solution out there. No more Hotsync!

I love the Palm OS and the usability of it. It is much better than Windows Mobile, but they need to get a Blackberry connect working everywhere!!
    Any major problems with the 750 on T-mobile, such as internet,email signal etc
    Thanks
    bcaslis;
    Great review of them both. I can say that I am a bit jealous, and at the same time enjoying the mess outa the 680. Granted, I was/am happy with the 650, and so not changing too much is a two sided sword. But hearing your comparison is quite nice.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  17.    #17  
    1.) Lack of UMTS won't cause any problems, it will just use the GSM signal.
    2.) The screen resolution of the 750 is actually not really a problem. It's just the screens used on the Palm OS ones are brighter with much better color and contrast. The extra pixels are nice in a photo but otherwise are not a huge deal. One thing I do is go into the screen settings and on the middle tab turn on cleartype. Some people don't like this, but I think it makes the text look much better on WM5.
    3.) That's probably right although the 750 "feels" a hair smaller to me. Either way it's not a big deal, they feel very close.
    4.) I have only done a few calls so far so this isn't a comprehensive comparison. In general on GSM they seem about the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Treobangla View Post
    Thanks for the great comparison. I am in a dilemna here. Got the DASH and love the size but miss touchscreen. Also just recieved the treo 750 unlocked Vodaphone version and had a few q's.
    1. I will be using it on T-mobile, do you know if the 750 having the 3G and t-mobile not supporing 3G will cause trouble.
    2. Other than differences in OS, what other major differences do you see in terms of speed and stability. Is the screen resolution really that bad? since I will be using on T-mob, the 3G/UMTS does not make a difference.
    3. Comparison on Phonescoop shows that while 750 is lighter, the 680 is smaller in size
    4. Taking UMTS out of the quation, is there a difference in call quality
    Thanks very much in advance.
  18.    #18  
    This is very true. The 750 does feel much more premium and expensive. However to be honest, other than the incredibly cheap and flimsy SD cover on the 680, it feels very good (but slippery!).

Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    To me 750v feels like a more "premium" product than 680
    They both handle very well, except that 680 is a little faster os
  19.    #19  
    Brief followup on the bluetooth with the car (BMW 330i 2006). The 680 smokes the 750 in that it actually works. It also shows the signal strength display with the 750 doesn't do at all and the 700p only showed the strength when first turned on, it never updated.

The only issue so far is that I'm having a problem getting entries from the synced favorites to dial from the car. Although voice commands from the car work and dialing the phone works (and routes audio to the car). I need to investige this more, but this the one area on the 750 causing me pain.

Of course this really makes it harder. I really want to go with the 750, but the 680 works much much better with the car.
    Brief followup on the bluetooth with the car (BMW 330i 2006). The 680 smokes the 750 in that it actually works. It also shows the signal strength display with the 750 doesn't do at all and the 700p only showed the strength when first turned on, it never updated.

The only issue so far is that I'm having a problem getting entries from the synced favorites to dial from the car. Although voice commands from the car work and dialing the phone works (and routes audio to the car). I need to investige this more, but this the one area on the 750 causing me pain.

Of course this really makes it harder. I really want to go with the 750, but the 680 works much much better with the car.
    I remember reading that there was an issue with the 700p where it showed the previous caller info on the caller ID rather than the current call. Does this problem exist with the 680?

Also, you are a little unclear, but I'm assuming that you mean only the 750 had the problem syncing the contacts (favorites) and the 680 synced them fine?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast