Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bcaslis, thanks for your previous replies and thoughts on the comparisons. As I mentioned earlier, I am in a dilemna, I cant decide between 680 and 750, 3G is no issue for me since I am on T-mobile. Palm is easier to use, but the 750 comes with some of the advantages of Windows Mobile and great form factor of the Treo and some Palm add ons such as the SMS. Any new thoughts on the both and if I may ask which you may decide on and why.
  2.    #42  
    It depends on what is important to you. Personally I would prefer Palm OS for most things. The 680 works great with my car, the 750v terrible. The 680 has done a few spontaneous resets (only when hotsyncing so far), the 750v hasn't. The 750v has better ringtones support, the 680 has better email programs available. The 750v has worldwide 3G (which also means it could be used in some parts of Japan and South Korea), the 680 doesn't. Personally I think the 750v looks much much nicer than the 680, the shape is very slightly different, the dark blue looks the best, and the soft touch paint is fantastic.

For me, I'd move to the dark side (WM5) if the darn thing would work reliably with my car. But it doesn't so I'm looking seriously at the 680. If you don't care about 3G at all (and don't travel anywhere with 3G) then the 750 is a less clear choice.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I. like bcaslis, have both and am trying to decide. Both work fine with my car (Parrott 3100 BT kit) so that's not an issue. I agree with bcaslis on everything he said. What I'd add is that there are some Palm apps for which there is no WM equivalent. Chatteremail is first and foremost on my list. But, there are others, like CallRec (to record calls) and WCBS Video Cam (which shows real time video from all the major highways around NYC. Most everything else is close enough. True, WM is more cumbersome but I'll get used to it, I think. It's great not having daily resets. I haven't decided for sure yet. Most likely, if I stay with the Palm OS, it will be with my Black Tie 650, not the 680.
    Thanks Guys, this helps a lot. I will try for another few days that I have left on trial periods and then decide, right now leaning towards the 750 altho i dont need 3G. Will keep you posted.
  5.    #45  
    If I coud get chatteremail on the 750v, that would tip the balance. But I can't. If I could get the 750v working correctly with my car, that would tip the balance. But I can't. The biggest annoyance on the 680 for me is something that probably doesn't bother anyone else, but the ringtone support on it stinks. The lowest volume is too loud for my office. The manual says you can use AAC ringtones but you can't it just won't work the 680 won't recognize them. Wave sounds have to less than 200k or they get clipped. If you don't use midi sounds, the vibrate then ring or the escalate ringtone options don't work right (they don't play any sound).

Boy am I frustrated!
    I can feel your frustration, none of the two have everyhting you want. Have you tried Flexmail, apparently its good, but I have not tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    If I coud get chatteremail on the 750v, that would tip the balance. But I can't. If I could get the 750v working correctly with my car, that would tip the balance. But I can't. The biggest annoyance on the 680 for me is something that probably doesn't bother anyone else, but the ringtone support on it stinks. The lowest volume is too loud for my office. The manual says you can use AAC ringtones but you can't it just won't work the 680 won't recognize them. Wave sounds have to less than 200k or they get clipped. If you don't use midi sounds, the vibrate then ring or the escalate ringtone options don't work right (they don't play any sound).

Boy am I frustrated!
    Bcaslis, since you have been on both T-mobile and Cingular, maybe you can answer this question. I was on Cingular which is very poor at my workplace ( altho their zipcode service locator shows full reception), so I switched to T-mobile, which works far better at work and also has beter cust service. But now that Cingular has added 3G at my work zip code, would it mean that reception could be better if a I had a 3G phone on Cingular.
  8.    #48  
    I haven't tried Flexmail since I've heard it's very very buggy. Also the developer (who also does Pocket Informant) seems to develop apps with lots of features but large (as in size and memory) and not much focus on improving usability.

Quote Originally Posted by Treobangla View Post
    I can feel your frustration, none of the two have everyhting you want. Have you tried Flexmail, apparently its good, but I have not tried it yet.
  9.    #49  
    I only tried T-Mobile for a few minutes with the 750 but had it for many years. Their service was very good, but very poor coverage at work and at home for me. Their plans seem to be going in the wrong direction, they are getting more focused on their own devices, and their 3G plans mean you will have to get a device specifically done for them.

The fact that Cingular had better coverage at home and work and 3G made it a no brainer to move to them. I was really surprised that T-Mobile has made zero effort to keep me even though I moved the whole family. Not even a junk letter saying please come back. I guess they don't care about service and customers as much as they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Treobangla View Post
    Bcaslis, since you have been on both T-mobile and Cingular, maybe you can answer this question. I was on Cingular which is very poor at my workplace ( altho their zipcode service locator shows full reception), so I switched to T-mobile, which works far better at work and also has beter cust service. But now that Cingular has added 3G at my work zip code, would it mean that reception could be better if a I had a 3G phone on Cingular.
    I would rather stick a rusty knife in my eye then use wm5. I have tried it on several phones and have never hated an os so much. i will stick with the 680.
    Bcalis: question....if the 750 worked with your car would you then like it versus the 680?

enjoyed the review. personally, i don't care for the dated palm os and i really HATED the flimsy/plasticky SD card cover on the 680. again, nice review.

regards
  12.    #52  
    If the 750 worked correctly with my car that would easily seal the deal. I have enough patience that I would wait if I knew it would be corrected in the future. But the history of Microsoft based phones with the BMW bluetooth is not good:

700w: Didn't work disconnected all the time
    700wx: Didn't work, disconnects less frequently but other odd problems and no favorites transferred.
    HTC TyTN: No contacts transferred at all. A few odd disconnects but only tried a few days before giving up.
    Motorola Q: Worked (doesn't use Microsoft bluetooth stack!)

So I have the feeling it might never be corrected by waiting. That's my big issue and Palm record on making bluetooth work is among the worst of any of the manufacters I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    Bcalis: question....if the 750 worked with your car would you then like it versus the 680?

enjoyed the review. personally, i don't care for the dated palm os and i really HATED the flimsy/plasticky SD card cover on the 680. again, nice review.

regards
    I just sold my 750v and picked up an Artic 680...I love it. The actual hardware was great, and the feel of the 750v was amazing, but I just can't stand Windows Mobile.

It'll suck that I won't get 3G speeds, but what good is 3G speed if it takes forever for the applications to load. An analogy would be having a really fast car with really really slow acceleration. In a mobile device where speed and convenience is a priority (for me anyways), I'll take acceleration.
    I've been trying to decide if I want to leave Sprint and my 700WX for T-Mo and a 680 and later a 750. One of the things holding me back from the 680 are these reports of a very flimsy SD slot door. Also, I hate how Palm keeps putting a green button, a red power / end call button, AND a phone button in their PalmOS Treos. When I had the 700P, the green button was pretty much useless for me. The way the WM Treos are make much more sense. They have a single, green phone button for answering and making calls and a single, red phone button for ending calls and to power the phone on and off.

I would get an Arctic 680 though. Looks very nice.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I've been trying to decide if I want to leave Sprint and my 700WX for T-Mo and a 680 and later a 750. One of the things holding me back from the 680 are these reports of a very flimsy SD slot door. Also, I hate how Palm keeps putting a green button, a red power / end call button, AND a phone button in their PalmOS Treos. When I had the 700P, the green button was pretty much useless for me. The way the WM Treos are make much more sense. They have a single, green phone button for answering and making calls and a single, red phone button for ending calls and to power the phone on and off.

I would get an Arctic 680 though. Looks very nice.
    I've had absolutely no problems with the SD card door. If it was a case of needing to open the door frequently, then maybe it could be something to worry about. I'm on T-Mobile (and been using them since the Voicestream days) and I've had no problems with them. I can't really speak on your other issues regarding the power buttons though. Personally, I'm loving my Treo and I'm glad I converted from using my T-Mobile SDA.
  16.    #56  
    The SD isn't flimsy, it's just the top latch isn't all that tight. So it closes but the top doesn't fit tight against the body.
    i think it's both "flimsy" and poorly fitted but thats just me.

felt cheap in my estimation.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    i think it's both "flimsy" and poorly fitted but thats just me.

felt cheap in my estimation.
    This is a very accurate description. I agree. But, one must ask, "Is it a problem?" I don't think so -- only if you dwell on it. With rebates, I got my 680 for $0.01 -- so, I don't feeled ripped off. I would, however, much prefer more attention to details -- closer tolerances, "grippy" paint, etc. Even the nav button, when compared side by side to the T650, say, is "cheaper" -- I don't know how to articulate this "cheapness" but you definetly feel it. (Again, I am using a 650 and 680 until I decide whether to keep the 680. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the 680.
    How did you score a 680 for a penny? did you switch carriers? I'm already with cingular and figure I'll get screwed getting a new phone but not a new plan.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Do applications really take that long to load in the Treo 750 (especially when compared to the 680)?

I've been toying with the idea of selling my 680 and getting a 750. Not because I want Windows Mobile, but because 1) I want the higher data speeds, and 2) I need to be able to Skype some contacts.

Every time I've tried switching from the Palm OS to Windows Mobile, I've gone back to the Palm OS, but since Palm makes the 750, it can't be that bad. But it's the slow-load applications rumor that I've heard that concerns me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123