Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks Very Much Bcaslis, One more question, on the Treo 650, you had the ability to send SMS to email addresses, is that function available on the 680 and the 750. I know that othe Win Mob phones dont have this ability.
  2.    #22  
    Yes the 700p had that problem. I haven't had a chance to check it yet with the 680.

Both the 750v and the 680 synced favorites. The issue I has saying was that I'm having trouble getting a synced number on the car to actually dial on the 680. I press the button with the number showing on the display but nothing seems to happen. However a voice command to the car to the dial works, and dialing from the Treo works and sends the audio to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    I remember reading that there was an issue with the 700p where it showed the previous caller info on the caller ID rather than the current call. Does this problem exist with the 680?

Also, you are a little unclear, but I'm assuming that you mean only the 750 had the problem syncing the contacts (favorites) and the 680 synced them fine?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #23  
    Hmm, not sure. If I type a name I only see the phone numbers listed from the contacts. I directly typed in an email and sent it and it seemed to go OK. However, I don't see anything showing up in email so it might not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Treobangla View Post
    Thanks Very Much Bcaslis, One more question, on the Treo 650, you had the ability to send SMS to email addresses, is that function available on the 680 and the 750. I know that othe Win Mob phones dont have this ability.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Brief followup on the bluetooth with the car (BMW 330i 2006). The 680 smokes the 750 in that it actually works. It also shows the signal strength display with the 750 doesn't do at all and the 700p only showed the strength when first turned on, it never updated.

The only issue so far is that I'm having a problem getting entries from the synced favorites to dial from the car. Although voice commands from the car work and dialing the phone works (and routes audio to the car). I need to investige this more, but this the one area on the 750 causing me pain.

Of course this really makes it harder. I really want to go with the 750, but the 680 works much much better with the car.
    THANK YOU! although we probably don't have the same bluetooth modules (i have an '06 BMW X3), it's nice to hear an example of the 680 working well with a bmw! this makes me feel a little better now about the 680, and i am hoping i have the same experience you've had with your 330...
  5.    #25  
    Actually I would think we probably do the have the same module. I need to experiment with the synced favorites, it was really odd, pressing the button didn't do anything. Maybe the radio was messed up and needed to be reset or something (I have the normal business CD radio, not the iDrive). But it was clearly getting a good connection with audio and it was a kick to the signal strength displayed and updating as I drove.

Quote Originally Posted by r6girl View Post
    THANK YOU! although we probably don't have the same bluetooth modules (i have an '06 BMW X3), it's nice to hear an example of the 680 working well with a bmw! this makes me feel a little better now about the 680, and i am hoping i have the same experience you've had with your 330...
  6.    #26  
    The SMS message did eventually show up in email. It took about 2 1/2 hours for it to do so. So, it works but it doesn't really seem useful.

Hmm, not sure. If I type a name I only see the phone numbers listed from the contacts. I directly typed in an email and sent it and it seemed to go OK. However, I don't see anything showing up in email so it might not work.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Actually I would think we probably do the have the same module. I need to experiment with the synced favorites, it was really odd, pressing the button didn't do anything. Maybe the radio was messed up and needed to be reset or something (I have the normal business CD radio, not the iDrive). But it was clearly getting a good connection with audio and it was a kick to the signal strength displayed and updating as I drove.
    i have the normal business cd radio as well. do you have nav? if you do, we probably don't have the same bluetooth module, from what i understand. a bluetooth module with nav accepts a large number of voice commands. without nav, it's a much simpler (cheaper, i'm guessing) module that only accepts voice commands to operate the phone. if you don't have nav, you're probably right that we have the same module, in which case i will be THRILLED to have the 680 work with it!

did you get the favorites to work?

EDIT: i re-read one of your previous posts and you mentioned seeing the signal strength display changing as you drove, which means you have a screen, which means you have nav. oh well! a girl can dream, can't she?
    Last edited by r6girl; 11/28/2006 at 05:58 PM. Reason: mistake
  8.    #28  
    Nope no nav, so we have the same. The signal strength shows as a little icon like on the Treo display in the upper right part of the radio display. Be glad, you will get a Treo that works with your car (probably).

Some of the favorites dial fine and some don't. No clue yet what the problem is. I wish I could see what the number is on the car but I don't know how to do that. Maybe some favorites are transfering the name but not the number?

i have the normal business cd radio as well. do you have nav? if you do, we probably don't have the same bluetooth module, from what i understand. a bluetooth module with nav accepts a large number of voice commands. without nav, it's a much simpler (cheaper, i'm guessing) module that only accepts voice commands to operate the phone. if you don't have nav, you're probably right that we have the same module, in which case i will be THRILLED to have the 680 work with it!

did you get the favorites to work?

EDIT: i re-read one of your previous posts and you mentioned seeing the signal strength display changing as you drove, which means you have a screen, which means you have nav. oh well! a girl can dream, can't she?
    bcaslis - thanks so much. Keep posting. We really appreciate it.

I have had the 680 for several days and very much agree with the fact that it is "slippery." I had a very big problem with battery life the first couple of days as weel but it seams to be improving. I am running verizon wireless sync (a little extra drain). 650 with extended battery was fine, it would get me through the day. Do you think the 680 and 750 have similar battery life. Is UTMS a bigger drain when you have it?
  10.    #30  
    UMTS is a bigger battery drain, especially when downloading data. However I've been surprised the the 680 seems to be getting about the same battery life as the 750 so far.

I looked up dimensions today and found the 680 is 1mm wider and 1mm longer than the 750 along with 0.1gram heavier. I know it doesn't sound like much but it confirms my "feeling" that the 750 was definitely smaller and lighter. I do have to say that except for the screen I like the 750 hardware better.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Does the 680 use the same battery as the 750 ? If it does I will get one as a backup.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Does the 680 use the same battery as the 750 ? If it does I will get one as a backup.
    Yes, the 680 and 750 use the same battery.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    Useful review. interested to know if you can use BT headset AND BT GPS at the same time (answer call when on GPS). I also have a 750 and hate WM5 but this is a nice feature.

also generally how does it feel compared to a 650?
    I am currently testing the Samsung Blackjack on Cingular. It also has WM5, and it is so counter-intuitive. Palm OS is so much easier.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Nope no nav, so we have the same. The signal strength shows as a little icon like on the Treo display in the upper right part of the radio display. Be glad, you will get a Treo that works with your car (probably).
    you were right! the 680 works with my X3 and i am so happy to have this functionality back. i don't think i see the signal strength in the radio display like you do - don't think i ever did with any previous phones either (motorola slvr, blackberry 8700). sounds like a useful feature!
    you were right! the 680 works with my X3 and i am so happy to have this functionality back. i don't think i see the signal strength in the radio display like you do - don't think i ever did with any previous phones either (motorola slvr, blackberry 8700). sounds like a useful feature!
    Are your favorites (contacts) synced with the car properly and are you able to dial them?

Also, if you receive a call does it accurately show the caller ID or does it do what the 700P did which was to show the caller ID of the previous call??
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Are your favorites (contacts) synced with the car properly and are you able to dial them?

Also, if you receive a call does it accurately show the caller ID or does it do what the 700P did which was to show the caller ID of the previous call??
    my contacts do upload to the car, and from the few calls i've received while driving so far, it does indeed show the correct caller ID for each call.

i haven't fully set up my treo with my computer yet (in the processing of switching to a new laptop and don't have all my data transferred yet), so the contacts in my phone are the ones on the SIM card. not sure if that makes a difference...
    my contacts do upload to the car, and from the few calls i've received while driving so far, it does indeed show the correct caller ID for each call.

i haven't fully set up my treo with my computer yet (in the processing of switching to a new laptop and don't have all my data transferred yet), so the contacts in my phone are the ones on the SIM card. not sure if that makes a difference...
    Thanks. I have a 2006 X5, so I'm guessing we both have the same bluetooth system. On my car it was called the "Bluetooth Assist" package.
  18.    #38  
    It syncs the favorites OK. The only one I have a problem with is the voicemail favorite (very weird). It won't dial it from the stereo menu. Other favorites it seems to dial OK. Haven't had incoming calls to test with yet, I used to have the 700p so I know the problem you are asking about.
    It syncs the favorites OK. The only one I have a problem with is the voicemail favorite (very weird). It won't dial it from the stereo menu. Other favorites it seems to dial OK. Haven't had incoming calls to test with yet, I used to have the 700p so I know the problem you are asking about.
    The voicemail problem would seem to make sense. Just from playing with the phone in the store, it seems that the voicemail favorite is not a regular speed dial but somewhat different. Maybe the best thing for the voicemail is to use the voice dialing built into the BMW bluetooth system for that.

I'm not sure which BMW you have, but on my X5 the voice dial system is totally seperate from the address book and you have to program that with voice tags seperately.
  20.    #40  
    Yes I have a BMW 330i 2006 and the voice dial is separate from the address book on mine also. I haven't had any issue with the voice dialing.

The voicemail problem would seem to make sense. Just from playing with the phone in the store, it seems that the voicemail favorite is not a regular speed dial but somewhat different. Maybe the best thing for the voicemail is to use the voice dialing built into the BMW bluetooth system for that.

I'm not sure which BMW you have, but on my X5 the voice dial system is totally seperate from the address book and you have to program that with voice tags seperately.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast