1.    #1  
    Hey, gang. Picked up my 680 on Friday, during "Black Friday" sale at Cingular. (Got a 50% discount on accessories..notta on phones, tho). Nice device overall, BUT..

Are any of you with the phone already having problems with voice clarity? I was on a call the other day, and the person told me I sounded "scratchy" - and this was with full signal strength.

Called my wife today while she was out Christmas shopping..same feedback. But only at the beginning of the call. Fortunately, I got her voicemail and could listen to the replay later. Yep. Scratchy. For about 10 seconds. Then it cleared up. Now, that could be cuz she was in a mega-mall at the time, but..

Also - volume at my (listening) end is..weak, IMHO. I figured I'd try VolumeCare, but saw reports that it locks up the 680 - though I haven't tried it yet to see if I get the same results.

Wondering if I got a bad copy, or if the voice clarity on these isn't going to be great overall..

What do you guys with the phone already think? Would love to hear direct experiences of the "early adopter" crowd that's been fortunate enough to get their hands on one of the pups..

TIA..

- PB
    network connection possibly? i know on my razr i'll have a really scratchy connection...hang up and call back and it's fine
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Yeah, a lot of complaints about quality have nothing to do with the phone but are reflections of poor cell quality control as well as atmospherics. My signal goes all over the place on TMO so I'm convinced it is TMO, and not the phone, which never changes.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah..I'd thought about this (network v. phone issue), but had full signal strength/many "bars" at the time.

And, I was in an area where I've made bazillions of calls on other networks (Sprint, Verizon) and cell coverage is known to be pretty strong. If Cingular isn't strong here, that'd be bad - I was less than a mile from my house on the first call, and IN my house when I called my wife.

So far..I'm not overly impressed with the voice capabilities of the 680. (I remember someone once said of Treos in general..great PDA..average to mediocre phone. Wonder if that will change or stay "as is" with the 680..)
    The voice clarity on my 680 has been great! Both hearing and talking.
    well it's not really a matter of coverage but the connection at the switch
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTenTodd View Post
    The voice clarity on my 680 has been great! Both hearing and talking.
    Same with me. Some folks don't even think I am on my cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post
    Same with me. Some folks don't even think I am on my cell.

I have to agree as well. as I have stated in many of these threads so far, the clarity on both ends (mine and people I am talking to) was my biggest concern, and so far it has been fantastic. All comments I have gotten have been positive.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    My 680's earpiece volume is low - I have tried Phone Tech's sound booster but it is still low for me.

Voice quality is fine.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Generally the 680 is MUCH MUCH better than my 650 on voice quality. I have noticed a couple of times static that usually clears up in a few seconds. When it is good, it is GREAT. The static for me could be a network issue.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    Yeah..I'd thought about this (network v. phone issue), but had full signal strength/many "bars" at the time.

And, I was in an area where I've made bazillions of calls on other networks (Sprint, Verizon) and cell coverage is known to be pretty strong. If Cingular isn't strong here, that'd be bad - I was less than a mile from my house on the first call, and IN my house when I called my wife.

So far..I'm not overly impressed with the voice capabilities of the 680. (I remember someone once said of Treos in general..great PDA..average to mediocre phone. Wonder if that will change or stay "as is" with the 680..)
    If your previous experience was with other networks, there's a very good chance that Cingular just doesn't have a good presence where you are. That would really suck, because there's nothing you can do about it. Did you ever make a call from another phone on Cingular in that same area?

I wouldn't rule out the 680 being the problem, but I'd try asking around other Cingular customers, or try someone else's phone, or try calling from somewhere else before placing all the blame on the phone.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    NO problems so far with my 680.

The sound quality is leaps ahead of my 650 in my opinion!
    I did some direct voice comparisons last night at the same time and location with the 680, Treo 750v, and Motorola RAZR all on Cingular. I was very surprised. The RAZR call quality was very loud and clear. The 750v was almost as good on GSM. On UMTS it was better. The 680 was a real surprise. Very scratchy with lots of background hiss both for caller and receiver. Tried this a couple of times to be sure, but it was the same. The voice quality on the 680 is very poor compared to other good quality phones. I don't have my 650 anymore, so I couldn't compare directly to it. I was very disappointed.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680