Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    All I could find in the search was;

"Do you have key guard on"

Yes I do, I have seen the phone while just sitting on my desk just turn off with no one touching any keys.

"Conflicting Programs"

I have checked for errors after seeing that the phone has shut itself off. Some times I have= found the phone crashed, Snapper Mail program, some times there are no errors.

Is this a well known problem with Sprint 700P and if so am I waitng for the ROM update as my only hope of fixing this?
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    For clarity, what do you mean by "phone shutting off"? Do you mean just the display or the phone radio itself? If the display, check the setting in Prefs->Power. The "Auto-off after" setting determines how long the system waits for activity before turning off the display.

If it's the phone radio, that would be due to some 3rd party application since the Treo doesn't do that by default.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    I've had this too, with the keyguard set to come on at power off with no delay. My symptom is that the phone is off, but everything else works as normal. I have also hit the phone button and it will take me to contacts, even though my button is mapped to the phone app. If I get back to my main zlauncher screen and then go back into the phone app, it will open the phone app about 95% of the time. Otherwise I have to go into prefs and remap my buttons and the phone app will come back up. I am not running takephone or any 3rd party phone apps.
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    The "Radio" shuts off so I can't get incoming calls. Very frustrating when I get messages from clients that they couldn't gte a hold of me.

Also email won't be received when it shuts itself off. No reset the phone is just OFF.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING!!! Makes the phone useless as a business tool when you have to check every few minutes to make sure your phone is still on.

Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    For clarity, what do you mean by "phone shutting off"? Do you mean just the display or the phone radio itself? If the display, check the setting in Prefs->Power. The "Auto-off after" setting determines how long the system waits for activity before turning off the display.

If it's the phone radio, that would be due to some 3rd party application since the Treo doesn't do that by default.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    I can definitely understand the frustration. To be honest, I haven't heard of this before and kind of doubt it's a PalmOS software issue that might be fixed with a ROM update. I suppose it could be a hardware problem, so you might want to take it to a Sprint store so they could see it happen. Not sure how random it is, so that may be harder to do than to say.

If you could post all the apps that appear on the Palm Launcher screen, perhaps we can narrow it down. I think the most likely suspect is a 3rd-party app.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Butler or one of those program. That's why I don't use them - too powerful.
    I had a very similar problem - after 3 minutes (my timeout) the phone screen would go dark and although the connection was still there neither party could hear each other until I pushed the "power" button to bring back the screen light. I posted here, got nothing, ended up just rebuilding the phone to make it behave normally. I'm certain that it was something like "phone technician" or another app I installed and then took off - (if you find my post it's in there).

Some of these hacks are very poorly written and leave a lot of garbage on your device even after you "uninstall" them. Just this week I was nearing the end of the well-reviewed "Volume Care Pro" and noticed odd behavior with my nightly Backupman schedule not functioning. Turns out that "Volume Care Pro" hacks a nag screen every morning the last few days of the trial and preempts everything else until you manually dismiss it! For a supposed "premium" twenty dollar application I'd expect a little more refinement - I was about to buy it but decided otherwise after seeing that... (the trial was limited in function anyway).

Long and the short of it - be extremely careful about adding "all powerful" third-party applications to the Treo - make a full backup image before putting them on and immediately run them through the paces after installation or you could find yourself spending a weekend rebuilding your phone. If the problem persists I believe a rebuild is your only good option - you can do a full backup then a hard reset and check to eliminate hardware as a cause.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Volume Care Pro is however an excellent application. The program must have *some* type of nag when the trial is up, and it really is up to the end user to notice that the trial is nearing an end...especially when you have the program enabled. I would not knock that aspect of any unregistered time-trial program one bit myself. I did not even know it nagged personally. I see the program as a requirement honestly, and registered WAY before it expired.

True, some applications can cause issues, but just like installing any application on an OS (Windows, you phone, etc) some caution must always be taken. I personally do quite a bit of research on a said application before install. Check user ratings on a source such as PalmGear, do a forum search here for positive/negative feedback on the app, search for reviews on the internet...etc. Knowledge is indeed power.
    I am having the phone turn off the radio occasioncally I am diagonising and will keep you all posted I have a treo 650