Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have updated my 1.20 LAP rom a few times and each time was successful. However, then I decided to make the partition size smaller and my treo 650 is now a brick.
    The 1.20 LAP partition size is initially 8.4MB and my custom ROM is almost 6.5MB so I figured that I should be able to use the RomUpdaterApp.prc for 7.1MB partition. I put the RomUpdaterApp.prc on the SD card in the /PALM/Launcher directory along with my new ROM. I then ran it on the Treo and the ROM was flashed. However, once the install process got to the 100% complete mark I got a message that said Error updating rom (or something to that effect). An "OK" button was presented and I pushed it and the phone went into brick mode.
    I cannot reset, hard reset or enter bootloader mode. The battery was fully charged and now the Treo is conected to the hotsync cable with power attached and no lights are on and there is no response at all from the phone.

Have I got a total brick on my hands?

grrrr....I am upset that I have stuffed up my Treo.
    I have just ordered a Zoti antenna for it as well...that is yet to ship.

Please, does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!!!
    Last edited by millydog; 11/26/2006 at 03:20 AM.
    Same thing happened to me. I had to replace the motherboard. There may be a solution now, though.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I sent you a PM.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I sent you a PM.
    Why? then the rest of us cant read it and doesnt know what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Why? then the rest of us cant read it and doesnt know what to do.
    Good point.

However, no information was exchanged. I pointed him to an individual that might be able to help. If a solution is found, we will post it here. Without asking -- I did not want to publicly broadcast the person's name.

Cheers, Perry.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Same thing happened to me. I had to replace the motherboard. There may be a solution now, though.
    I take it that you mean that rom flashing also worked for you until you tried to change the partition size?
    I am waiting to see if a solution is available......but I am interested to know how easy it was to replace the motherboard? Did you find a link to a website with instructions?
    I have a GSM unlocked treo and have seen some motherboards on the internet but they tend to be for the USA carriers and I am in Australia so still want it to be unlocked. I am also concerned about shipping costs to Australia....often costs are $75 USD.....that is far too much.

Thank you
    Let's know how you go with a mother board. I am interested in one to solve audio socket problems.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

The hardware swap out wasn't bad. There is a video online that shows how to disassemble the Treo 650. Just be careful with the connectors. They can easily be bent or broken. There is a daughterboard that attaches to the motherboard, in addition to the screen, keyboard, and anything else I can't remember.

Mine was a Sprint motherboard. I flashed ir to CNG usung the ROMTool with no problem. I believe the partition size was the same. I also edited the tokens to change them to CNG. No problems since.

Good luck, if you try it!!!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

10.    #10  
    John, will post in this thread how I go if I change the motherboard.

James, thanks for the link. The Verison motherboards are quite cheap.

Thank you Tony. You made me think of something I hadn't yet considered... I am wondering what partition size the Verison motherboards have. I don't want to try to change that again incase I did something wrong that caused the problem. I have no problems with flashing the rom using the ROMTool though.

Will I be able to flash the original LAP rom to the Verison motherboard? The LAP rom was originally in a 8.4MB partition.
    Last edited by millydog; 11/26/2006 at 07:40 PM.
    Verizon partition is 8.4 like the unlocked GSM.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

12.    #12  
    Yay, thank you James.
    I have ordered the Verizon motherboard and I have the Zoti antenna coming as well with the torx #5 tool....so now the wait begins until everything arrives.
    I have reverted to using my T3 until then.

I'll report back on how I go.
    Here is a sidetrack regarding the m/b, I remember older Palm can upgrade the memory chip by user, but for the Treo it seems too hard to do that, any idea or you guys heard anything about that, this really save the day if we can do that.
  14.    #14  
    It definately would save the day.....it would also be good to be able to remove the memory to add a larger amount. I haven't seen memory available for purchase though, only motherboards.
  15.    #15  
    O.K.....after 10 days I have my new motherboard.
    I opened the Treo 650 and installed it without any dramas. It was just a matter of removing screws, unpluging a cable, removing the motherboard, unpluging another cable, removing the daughterboard from the motherboard and placing it on the new motherboard, then putting it all back together with the new motherboard.
    The Treo 650 lit up as soon as I inserted the battery in the back.

I am now onto the next stage of updating the ROM. However, I have hit an obstacle I am hoping can be overcome.
    The Phone Info app lists the Software as Treo650-1.03-VZW and Hardware as B. I know that previously I had Treo-650-1.20-LAP and Hardware A.
    I am not sure what the difference is between hardware A and B. Does anyone know?
    Anyway, I have attempted to run Palm's 1.20 LAP updater but I got a message that it was incompatible. I then attempted to install 1.13 ROW from SD card since I had previously installed this version when I wanted to return to Palm's original 1.20 LAP version one other time. However, the 1.13 ROW version is also uncompatible. I am now wondering if I somehow have to unlock the phone from Verizon? If so, does anyone know how to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by millydog View Post
    The Phone Info app lists the Software as Treo650-1.03-VZW and Hardware as B. I know that previously I had Treo-650-1.20-LAP and Hardware A.
    I am not sure what the difference is between hardware A and B. Does anyone know?
    VZW is Verizon Wireless, a CDMA carrier, so I will take a guess that Hardware B is CDMA and Hardware A is GSM. You need a GSM motherboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    so I will take a guess that Hardware B is CDMA and Hardware A is GSM.
    Totally wrong I'm afraid, but I'll let you off as it was a guess

Hardware B is just a note from Palm to let you know that it is a latter Treo, which came from a batch that had slightly different hardware.

If might be because they found a better bit of hardware, or just that the original supplier has stopped making a certain bit of hardware.

On the 650 the screen was different between A & B, from reports some like the new screen, others don't. So B does not mean the hardware is better, just different

There were other changes between A & B, but I don't know what they were. Others might, a search should help. But it does not really matter as far as I know.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Totally wrong I'm afraid, but I'll let you off as it was a guess
    Cheers, mate

Nevertheless, it sounds like he's got a CDMA motherboard.
    Yes, but if you read back a few posts, you will see that I installed a Sprint motherboard in my Cingular phone without a problem. I think the "CDMA vs. GSM" part is in the daughterboard, which he transferred over to the new motherboard.

20.    #20  
    Oh excellent.....thanks guys. So it seems that my motherboard should be compatible. Maybe the lock is the only issue then.

Last night, the RomTool did not connect to the Treo but this morning I reloaded the drivers and it now connects. I just downloaded the Verizon rom image to my harddrive incase I need to reflash it to unlock it or anything.

I am now considering uploading the full 1.20 LAP rom to it...but I think that I will need to use the original installer from Palm since that will change the hardware values to the correct ones....I think....but then the installer didn't work yesterday when I tried it. hmmmmm.

Hey, guys.....I am a girl....a nerdy one at that. lol
    I am usually a software engineer but currently on maternity leave. Back to work in Feb.

Thanks for all of your help to date.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast