From the users manual " NOTE You cannot use a hands-free device with Bluetooth wireless technology to listen to music files"

They call this a "note"...I almost couldn't believe it when I read it. The developers had all this time to develop the new 680 and of course they couldn't give us a new model that does what would be expected. The phone that can play music will not do it via Bluetooth. Great.... I always wanted more wires with my wireless technology.

Oh God... please help the Treo 680 developers get it right...
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    It does seem lametarded, but alas, if they'd enabled this, I'm sure they'd get steamrolled by all the angry users who wanted to use this device with power-sucking always-on MP3 playing over Bluetooth power.
    Last edited by iomatic; 11/26/2006 at 01:05 PM. Reason: late-night spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by cin2 View Post
    From the users manual " NOTE You cannot use a hands-free device with Bluetooth wireless technology to listen to music files"

They call this a "note"...I almost couldn't believe it when I read it. The developers had all this time to develop the new 680 and of course they couldn't give us a new model that does what would be expected. The phone that can play music will not do it via Bluetooth. Great.... I always wanted more wires with my wireless technology.

Oh God... please help the Treo 680 developers get it right...

It does it in Treo 750. They has some problem with the OS in 680, long story short. FYI all the current music phone can't do it either.
    Well iPods can't either ! ....not the end of the world...
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    It does it in Treo 750. They has some problem with the OS in 680, long story short. FYI all the current music phone can't do it either.
    Sony's Walkman phones can. And of course so can the Moto Q, Samsung Blackjack, HTC Dash etc etc.

Surur
    Bluetooth for your music just KILLS your battery....Not even worth it in my opinion.
    Not to mention the sound quality won't be half as decent. I personally use the Etymotic E6-i, which I bought for my iPod and I can't imagine using anything else (apart from other sound isolating earphones), let alone, a Bluetooth headset to listen to my music.

My two cents.
    If you are listening to compressed audio on your phone quality is probably the last of your concern. Its all about convenience;and except for the recharging issue bluetooth headphones defnitely deliver.

Surur
    I'm not typically a big poster, but this thread greatly interested me because I'm considering putting in an AD2P-enabled bluetooth stereo in my car - and I'd really like to use Softick's Audio Gateway to stream audio to my stereo.

Has anyone tried this? Or can anyone try this?

The battery life doesn't really matter, because most likely the Treo will be sitting in a cradle - and plugged in while it's in the car anyways.

Any thoughts?
    I installed Audio Gateway on the Treo 680. No problem with the install however P tunes wouldn't play the music on the bluetooth headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its all about convenience;and except for the recharging issue bluetooth headphones defnitely deliver.

Surur
    If my aunt had balls, she would have been my uncle

Another inconvenience - price.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    If you are listening to compressed audio on your phone quality is probably the last of your concern. Its all about convenience;and except for the recharging issue bluetooth headphones defnitely deliver.

Surur
    Well, it's just my take on things, but sound quality is DEFINITELY a concern (for me anyway). The Etymotics are sensitive enough that you can definitely distinguish between a 128kbps MP3 file and a 192kpbs MP3 file, or a 128kbps MP3 and a 128kbps AAC.
    I have the Sony Ericsson HBH-DS970, and the sound quality is amazing, and it doesn't eat my treo's 750 battery at all. The main thing to do is to turn down the screen. But for some to say or hint that the sound quality on BT headphones are not that good, is just a false statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    If my aunt had balls, she would have been my uncle

Another inconvenience - price.
    Progress always comes with a price. It wont happen if consumers did not think it was worth it. I can give a few examples.

1) monochrome vs colour screens - out goes long battery life, visibility without backlight, high contrast etc.
    2) faster processors vs 33 MHz processors - lower battery life, but now you can decode mp3's.
    3) converged phone/pda's. Lower battery life vs separate solutions, bulkier, more expensive etc.

We get used to convergence compromises and recharging things daily. Such is life.

The advantages to balance out the inconvenience of recharging daily is:

1) less wires to get tangled.
    2) The ability to control your music remotely (stop/pause/next/previous track etc)
    3) converged bluetooth headset/headphones, which means one less thing to carry.
    4) less wear and tear on your phone's headphone jack.
    5) some more stuff (e.g. better car installation, no monger being reliant on 2.5 vs 3.5 vs ExtUSB vs pop-port connections etc)

For the majority of people, these advantages are going to be worth it. A2DP is going to be one the big things for 2007-2008, just like everyone and your mum has a bluetooth headset these days.

Surur
    I have no Bluetooth headset. And that's not Bluetooth in my mother's ear. It's her hearing aid. I don't understand the appeal of the headsets. I see people in the street talking to themselves and I usually assume it's just one more schizoid homeless person. The only way I can distinguish them is if I offer them a quarter. The homeless take it right away. The Blackberry people look insulted and walk on.
    BTW, I am looking to buy a 680 when it comes out in my area. In the meantime, I'm using a Windows Smartphone, and I should tell you all that I found a nice little free utility for that OS (called BTaudio) that routs all the sound from the phone to a bluetooth headset.

Now why is it that nobody can seem to make a utility that does this for PalmOS?
    Still waiting for the 680 to replace my trusty old 600.
    Fortunately the BT limitations aren't a deal killer for
    me. I'm stone deaf in one ear so hanging a headset
    on my good ear wouldn't be such a great idea. Then
    again I might collect two dimes - one for being
    schizo and another for being totally deaf.
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680