1.    #1  
    Hey all. I guess I wouldn't mind Edge speeds if the 680 could successfully run Orb. I'm currently using a TMobile SDA (on Cingular), and it does very choppy work when shoing video on Orb. I am wondering with the updated Blazer, the new radio in the 680, the new streaming capability, and updated DNS settings...can this Treo stream video on Orb smoothly?

I anxiously await your replies.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by libmanj View Post
    Hey all. I guess I wouldn't mind Edge speeds if the 680 could successfully run Orb. I'm currently using a TMobile SDA (on Cingular), and it does very choppy work when shoing video on Orb. I am wondering with the updated Blazer, the new radio in the 680, the new streaming capability, and updated DNS settings...can this Treo stream video on Orb smoothly?

I anxiously await your replies.
    Bump.

None of you with a 680 have tried Orb? Despite the fact that the 680 still runs on Edge, one of the exciting new features is the video streaming integrated with Blazer. Hey, Orb is free (and if you guys haven't tried it yet, you should. It's an amazing free program).

http://www.orb.com/download_orb
    I have a Slingbox so although I am aware of the existence of Orb and am basically familiar with what it does, I have never actually used it. Since it is now apparent that Sling will never release a Palm player, I would be willing to try it out. I don't want to mess with any complex setup on the PC side at the moment, but if you have a working setup I'd be willing to connect to it from my phone and report the results.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Tell me more about ord. I just read thorugh it's site. Intereesting. I may try it soon on my 680, but I'll research it a little more first. I'm concerned about the edge speeds and choppyness as you reported. If anyone is experienced with it, chime in!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    OK I've played with orb some. I've gotten to webcast my music to other computers, but not my 680. I keep getting "unknown response" errors or "unknown file format" errors in the embeded blazer media player. However, when I run tests on the test.orb site, the audio tests work just fine. Can't figure it out yet. I'll play some more later...
    Of note to new Orb users. It is best to set the Device Web Speed manually to a particular amount such as 200k.

Go to Tools and it's the first section.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Tell me more about ord. I just read thorugh it's site. Intereesting. I may try it soon on my 680, but I'll research it a little more first. I'm concerned about the edge speeds and choppyness as you reported. If anyone is experienced with it, chime in!
    Orb does a lot of what Slingbox does, and a lot more, but it's free. If you have a PC at home hooked up to a high speed data connection, it will connect any external device with an internet connection (laptop, phone) to your media. Basically, once you configure Orb on your home PC, you can then connect to Orb from your phone and listen to your music and view your photos, movies, and potentially even live TV (if you have a TV tuner or mpeg2 interface attached to your cable box). However, the more bandwidth, the better. I'm not sure how well Orb will work on Edge for viewing movies and live TV. However, I just got a 680 tonight, so I'll start to investigate.
  8.    #8  
    OK, thus far, I've had very little luck with Orb. It hasn't been able to stream a video that I would expect it to be able to play (mpeg), and it also didn't allow me to stream an mp3. I'm disappointed.

Please tell me if anyone has better luck.
    I presume TCPMP would stream Orb Mpegs as an alternate.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron View Post
    I presume TCPMP would stream Orb Mpegs as an alternate.
    I don't believe TCPMP has any streaming capability.
    If you load up the application RescoExplorer, you can view all the file associations supported by Treo 680 under Control Panels | Associations.

It lists Player as an application that supports: vnd.palm.url, ASX and PLS (.mpls). I presume the latter two are Microsoft streaming codec and Shoutcast respectively.

MP3 files are linked only to the pTunes application. .#gp and .3g2 are linked to the Pics&Video media application.