1.    #1  
    Looking at the rebate form on Cingular's site, it states that it requires activation on a 39.99 or higher data plan and a 39.99 or higher voice plan. Does this mean a NEW plan or can you still get the rebate if you already have a plan? At 349 less 100 rebate less whatever I can get for my pristine 650 on ebay sounds like a no brainer.
    If you are currently on a $20/mo plan, then the extra $/mo adds up quickly. The rebate will be surpassed in 5 months.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    I am on the 39.99 plan. I could never get any CSR to move me to the 19.99 plan. So, I could get the $100 rebate buying it outright, correct?
    I checked this last night after I got the email from Palm. You can get the phone for $299 without the unlimited data plan. You cannot get the rebate without the putting the phone on an unlimited data plan. So as I see it, you can't get the rebate without the unlimited data plan.
    Why doesn't Cingular just knock $100 off if you get the plan when you buy the phone?

Never understood mail-in rebates. Why can't retailers just take it off at the register?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    I am on the 39.99 plan. I could never get any CSR to move me to the 19.99 plan. So, I could get the $100 rebate buying it outright, correct?

If you are activating the 680 on the umlimited data plan at $39.99, plus a voice plan of $39.99 or higher, you should have no problem getting the rebate.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Why doesn't Cingular just knock $100 off if you get the plan when you buy the phone?

Never understood mail-in rebates. Why can't retailers just take it off at the register?
    Surely you're joking. The reason they have mail in rebates is, to put it in plain language, to cheat you out of it. The hope is that, though you were induced to make the purchase because of the rebate, you will for one reason or another fail to mail in the rebate, or fail to mail it in time, or fail to comply with procedures they have designed to make it more difficult to satisfy all the terms of the rebate. That way they get all they want without having to give you the substance of the bargain. The percentage of people satisfying the terms of mail-in rebates is low enough to make this highly profitable for them. It is, after all, all about making money, and if they can make more money this way, why not? Why don't competitors call them on this and offer you real savings? It's called market failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    Looking at the rebate form on Cingular's site, it states that it requires activation on a 39.99 or higher data plan and a 39.99 or higher voice plan. Does this mean a NEW plan or can you still get the rebate if you already have a plan? At 349 less 100 rebate less whatever I can get for my pristine 650 on ebay sounds like a no brainer.
    I bought my 680 yesterday and didn't have to change my rate plan. I already had the unlimited data plan and a voice plan. So, not sure if you have a lower plan if they'd make you change for the rebate.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Surely you're joking. The reason they have mail in rebates is, to put it in plain language, to cheat you out of it. The hope is that, though you were induced to make the purchase because of the rebate, you will for one reason or another fail to mail in the rebate, or fail to mail it in time, or fail to comply with procedures they have designed to make it more difficult to satisfy all the terms of the rebate. That way they get all they want without having to give you the substance of the bargain. The percentage of people satisfying the terms of mail-in rebates is low enough to make this highly profitable for them. It is, after all, all about making money, and if they can make more money this way, why not? Why don't competitors call them on this and offer you real savings? It's called market failure.
    Agreed - and to complicate things even further, the rebate is a Cingular/Visa rewards card that expires 120 days after issuance. So, in the world of gift cards and gift certificates, if you do not use the card, this is called "breakage", and I am sure that cingular has set it up so if you do not use the card, the $$ amounts (or a portion of) return directly to them.

It is a hassle, but I filled mine out on Tuesday night when I got my phone, made 3 copies (in case of problems - which almost ALWAYS happen), and mailed it right away.

It's truly incredible how consumer unfriendly the process is....and it is all calculated by people who's job it is to try to find ways of keeping us from our rebates!!!
    Rewards Network

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I still never received my HTC 8125 rebate. When I asked Cingular when I should expect to receive it, they told me that the status was Complete. I sent it in 6 months ago and asked about it 2 months after not getting it.

I signed away 2 years for that rebate and get nothing in return. What a screwover.
    Yeah, I never let a rebate influence my decision to buy anything.
    Read the fine print on the rebate form. You don't get one - you get two cards for $50 each. Each card comes in a separate envelope??? And I imagine when you read the fine print on the cards, you can only use one
    at a time. Fortunately I'm still on the 19.99 plan and don't have to worry about it.
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by orville View Post
    Read the fine print on the rebate form. You don't get one - you get two cards for $50 each. Each card comes in a separate envelope??? And I imagine when you read the fine print on the cards, you can only use one
    at a time. Fortunately I'm still on the 19.99 plan and don't have to worry about it.
    Not true. I have used multiple Cing rebate cards for one purchase. They are like a regular Visa card, you can use them anywhere.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orville View Post
    Well I got 3 $50 rebate cards 2 years ago and I used all 3 at one time to pay my Cingular Bill! You just have to enter the amount you want to pay ($50) and enter the number of that card and do that for each card.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    So it says with activation of 39.99 data plan... what if you activate it and then cancel the next day? Do they make you sign up for a year of data service or can you just cancel it and move down to the 19.99 plan? If so this is what im doing.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Something else to watch for is the expiration date on the rebate cards. I didn't get to mine during the summer, and they expired! (Another way to not get a rebate along with throwing out the box without clipping off the label...been there done that too...)
    I just ordered a 680, and they let me stay on my current cheapskate plan, and get the rebate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcduggan View Post
    I just ordered a 680, and they let me stay on my current cheapskate plan, and get the rebate.

Read the fine print...you WILL NOT get the rebate!!! You can send it in and wait, wait, wait!!!
    Rewards Network

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Surely you're joking.... The percentage of people satisfying the terms of mail-in rebates is low enough to make this highly profitable for them. It is, after all, all about making money, and if they can make more money this way, why not? Why don't competitors call them on this and offer you real savings? It's called market failure.
    The % of people actually sending it in in the first place is low. Estimates are less than 60% send it in, 70% of those qualify and get anything back. Beyond this...Cingular is notorious for the rebate run around and for telling people they qualify at the point of sale when they don't.

Caveat Emptor. Unlocked Treo sounds better and better...
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    Read the fine print...you WILL NOT get the rebate!!! You can send it in and wait, wait, wait!!!
    If I did try to cheat with the MEdiaNet plan, it would be a different story. But I've been paying $40 for my cell phone's internet.. that's $5 cheaper than my Cable Internet. I expect Cingular to scrounge up $100 if they expect me to pay $960 for 2 years of internet.

And then to say that the card(s) already got delivered, so I should have them? Check the card's usage. I haven't used them. How hard would it be to cancel it, anyway? It is a regular Visa card after all, so just send me a new one.

This is why I hate being the honest customer. Cingular spends their time writing policies to prevent dishonest customers from screwing them over, and doesn't give a damn about the customers who really pay the $40 a month for "PDA Connect" dial-up equivalent speeds.

I'm sick of greedy corporate jackasses stealing from all of us. Just the fact that you signed for 2 years and pay your bill every month should entitle you to some sort of bonus, whether it be a rebate, $10 coupon for their services, who cares. They take in a substantial amount of money every month. (58 million customers)*(avg $50/mo. bill)= $2,900,000,000 every month.. assuming everyone only pays $50/mo with no overages. Take a look at our monthly bill. We pay 2 years of PDA Connect every month just in monthly charges. This month was actually a low bill. That "average" is $80\mo per line. I feel totally ripped off. And while I hate to admit it, Cingular is the only reliable wireless carrier down here. We have no choice but to be ripped off.

Anyway, back to the topic. Cingular definately needs to do something about customer loyalty/rebates.
    Attached Images Attached Images