1.    #1  
    I got a 1gig card this morning (2 of them actually) from my local Micro Center store. These are in theory, identical to a card I bought a couple months ago from them as well, however I've found that with these 2 new cards, I can't record audio with a 3rd party app for more than about 30 seconds without it getting all choppy (sounds like the card can't keep up with the recording, something my first card has no issue with). I decided I would try formatting the new cards, something I did not do with my first one. The format operation has been running for about an hour now and is still just basically frozen... how long SHOULD a 1 gig card take to format? Is my treo just locked and I need to reset it? Are there any other ways to format a card without the use of an external card reader or other additional hardware?

UPDATE: I did a reset to bail out of the format, then installed CardExport2 so I could format the card that way. Tried both a quick format, and "slow", and either way it hasn't changed anything, I still get choppy card-too-slow audio recording with SoundRec. Do I just have a bogus card? Is there a way I can test the speed of this card in my Treo? I'd like to compare the stats on these two new cars vs. the one I bought a couple months ago... they SHOULD be the same, but obviously aren't.

FINAL UPDATE: Well it appears that whatever private label cards Micro Center was selling 2 months ago that work fantastic in the 700p, are NOT the same as the ones they are selling today, despite claiming to be the same specs. They absolutely are not up to recording audio even at qualities as low as 11Khz. I tried a Kingston 2 gig card as well, no dice, same speed issue. However I finally settled on a SanDisk Ultra2 2 gig card and it is working perfectly. Was only $40 so, though slightly more expensive than the other cards I was looking at, it WORKS which is ultimately the most important part. I'm happy, and life goes on...
    Last edited by vanclute; 11/25/2006 at 08:12 PM.
    As to your question as to how long a format normally takes, usually mere seconds.
    It sounds that you've have bad or corrupt cards to begin with. I have a 128MB SD card from back in the days that takes forever to do anything on (reading/writing).
    I currently have a RiData 1GB miniSD card 150X - the card says, (in SD adapter) and have recorded video clips as long as 45 minutes with no hiccups at all (camped out for PS3 but no luck).
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Yeah, SD formats should take no longer than a few seconds, more or less depending on the size of the card. I had to replace my 1 gig this weekend(with the same kind of card you replaced yours with, coincidentally) b/c it went 'bad'- it started getting instantly erased whenever I'd put it in another device, and formats would hang & take ages, even on a PC.

SD cards CAN go bad is the moral of the story, I guess, so when yours starts behaving badly, replace!
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanclute View Post
    However I finally settled on a SanDisk Ultra2 2 gig card and it is working perfectly. Was only $40 so, though slightly more expensive than the other cards I was looking at, it WORKS which is ultimately the most important part. I'm happy, and life goes on...
    Where did you happen to find that card for $40? If they still have them I will buy them one from you.
    I brought a fake Sony memory stick off ebay. It ran very slowly a few days and promptly died after reformat.