1.    #1  
    My Treo 600 has lost its alert sounds (the sounds it makes when there's no signal, when a power supply is plugged or unplugged, when you start a hotsync, etc.). Changing the sound preferences from the menu in phone mode doesn't help. The only way I'm able to restore these sounds is to do a hard reset. After that and BEFORE I re-install anything (programs, address book, phone settings), the sounds are again normal.

At first I thought this might be related to installing Audible.com's player software and Freedom. Freedom is a sound manager program that allows me to listen to audible's player through a headset; without it the sound always goes through the external speaker. I didn't have the problem before installing these programs, actually I didn't have it after installing Audible and before installing Freedom. However after the hard reset, I removed Audible and Freedom from the backup folder in the Palm Desktop directory on my computer, then hotsynced, and the sounds are again missing. So maybe these two programs aren't really implicated.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of Palm malware out there that has found its way on to my Treo. Anyone run into this problem?
    Your saved/unsaved preferences might be corrupted. Rename your 'Backup' folder before hotsyncing after a hard reset and just sync your PIM info. See if your sounds preferences still work. Then install your apps one at a time. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    I get almost all of what you suggested and it makes sense. What is PIM info and how do I hotsync with that only?

Thanks.
    PIM (Personal Information Manager?) are just your contacts, calendar, todo's, memos. Do you use Palm Desktop or Outlook? Either one, make sure you set Hotsync manager to 'Desktop overwrites Handheld' before your first sync after a hard reset - and don't forget to rename your backup folder as in my previous post. After all that and your sound preferences seem to work fine, then install your 3rd party apps one at a time to sort out the culprit.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!