1.    #1  
    I did a search and read a few threads on this program, and i realize the ups & downs of this software, so I don't need people to tell me that this program "sucks". I realize many people don't like it. I just have some questions for those who do use this program (not those who used it once and didn't like it).

1. Does anyone use it on the 700p? Does it work ok? (it was made for the 650). The reason I ask is because I'm considering getting the 680 and the availability of this software is part of my decision making process, but only if it works well. My understanding is that the 700p and 680 use basically the same OS (slightly different than the 650).

2. I read in one of the threads that you cannot set it to automatically check your email in time intervals. Yet, when I looked at the specs on this program, I see this picture of the main menu:

http://www.handango.com/include/pict...or_palm3_3.gif

What exactly is "Auto AOL"?? I assumed that was a setting so that you could have it connect to AOL, download all your email to the Filing Cabinet and then disconnect. If not, then what exactly is it?

3. I read one review of the software that claimed that if you are connected and your phone goes into standby (i.e. screen off), then it automatically disconnects because the data connection goes dead. Is this the case? If so, then it seems pretty useless as an AIM messenger program. I played with the 680 in the store and the longest time setting to go into standby is 3 minutes. That would suck if the longest I could stay signed in without typing was 3 minutes. According to the AOL software documentation on Handango, it doesn't discconect until there has been no activiity for an hour. I could deal with it being an hour, but 3 minutes is not usable IMO.

Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Nobody at all uses this program??
    I haven't used the Palm OS in a while, but if the data connection drops when you go into standby I would imagine that would kill your AOL connection. Is there not a way to disable standby on POS? On WM5 you can set your power options to turn off your display without suspending the OS which would keep your data connections alive. There must be an equivalent mode for POS.

Your description of autoaol is right on btw.

You might also consider using AOL's imap.aol.com and smtp.aol.com servers to use the standard mail app for your email needs. IM forwarding is handy for mobile instant messaging too.

http://mobile1.aol.com/
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    I haven't used the Palm OS in a while, but if the data connection drops when you go into standby I would imagine that would kill your AOL connection. Is there not a way to disable standby on POS? On WM5 you can set your power options to turn off your display without suspending the OS which would keep your data connections alive. There must be an equivalent mode for POS.

Your description of autoaol is right on btw.

You might also consider using AOL's imap.aol.com and smtp.aol.com servers to use the standard mail app for your email needs. IM forwarding is handy for mobile instant messaging too.

http://mobile1.aol.com/
    Thanks for the info. I have never used POS before and if I get the Treo 680 it will be my first Treo.

As for using the regular mail app, AOL does not play very well with regular imap clients. You can indeed access your email from there, but it's messy.

Most likely I was planning on using Versamail for my work email and AOL for my personal. I know you cannot download attachments from AOL 3.3, so I figured I could just foward any attachments to my work email if I needed to view them from the Treo.

Regarding the standby issue, I'll ask that in another thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have never used POS before and if I get the Treo 680 it will be my first Treo.

As for using the regular mail app, AOL does not play very well with regular imap clients. You can indeed access your email from there, but it's messy.

Most likely I was planning on using Versamail for my work email and AOL for my personal. I know you cannot download attachments from AOL 3.3, so I figured I could just foward any attachments to my work email if I needed to view them from the Treo.

Regarding the standby issue, I'll ask that in another thread.
    Not sure what you mean by "messy". It seems to work fine for me. I can even receive attachments using the imap server. I'm sure it depends a lot on the features of your email client. I just use the basic poutlook client on my device.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "messy". It seems to work fine for me. I can even receive attachments using the imap server. I'm sure it depends a lot on the features of your email client. I just use the basic poutlook client on my device.
    I mean how AOL divides the inbox into "new mail" and "old mail" folders, yet all IMAP clients keep all the mail in a single "inbox" folder. Not that I mind using the single inbox folder, but AOL likes to delete mail in the "old mail" folder after 5 days. From my past experience, most IMAP clients cause AOL to move all new emails to the "old mail" folder when they download the new email. This can be a problem if for example, you are out of town for a week and using your phone to check your email, yet you want your email to still be in your "new mail" folder when you return home. So the end result is that every time you check your email you have to run through your entire inbox one by one and mark each email as "unread". Not every IMAP clients suffers from this problem, but most do.
    Yeah, poutlook doesn't have that problem. They are left as new mail even after download to the treo. You have to actually open up an email before it's marked read and then it get's moved to old mail unless you mark it as unread. I don't have any experience with any imap clients that work like you describe. I wouldn't claim most work like that.