Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. CRK
    Been a long time reader and regretfully not a poster..

After reading a few posts about how corporate stores were getting two 680's in.. i decided to check my local stores while visiting home from college. When I called on wednesday, I was told 2 680's were delivered 20 minutes prior to my call - talk about lucky! One was for sale, and I put it on hold, of course, only to pick it up today!

First impressions:
    Light.
    Sleek.
    EDGE - UNDERRATED.
    Camera - Great low-light shots.
    Great build quality.
    Sharp, bright screen.
    GREAT reception/voice quality - Destroys my RAZR's.

Internet works surprisingly well.
    For those of you who want a full broadband, laptop-like experience as far as web browsing goes.. wait for the 750. Honestly, that's semi impractical at this point in time (at least for me). I was able to search google within a few seconds and came up with some image results just as quickly. For a more practical use, I signed onto delta.com - imagine being stuck in an airport without a computer, or in need of a quick flight change. Well, I was impressed: this is definitely feasible. Quick and painless web browsing. Impracticably (or so i thought...), I logged onto facebook.com and was able to access tons of pictures friends had just posted within minutes. This does what is designed to do. Maybe I'm just new to the whole "cell phone internet thang," but I am very happy with it.

Phone usage:
    -Quick between screens. No lagging. I put a SD card from a Digital-SLR Nikon camera into the Treo's expansion slot and instantly brought up high res pictures.
    -Sound quality blows away my razr's. I can hear and be heard much more clearly.
    -QWERTY Keyboard is great - same as always.
    -LOVE the threaded messaging.

That's about all i've got right now.. i'd be happy to answer any questions considering many of you have clued me in on a great deal already.

-Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by CRK View Post
    Been a long time reader and regretfully not a poster..

After reading a few posts about how corporate stores were getting two 680's in.. i decided to check my local stores while visiting home from college. When I called on wednesday, I was told 2 680's were delivered 20 minutes prior to my call - talk about lucky! One was for sale, and I put it on hold, of course, only to pick it up today!

First impressions:
    Light.
    Sleek.

-Chris
    light and sleek?
    Which plan did you get?
    to me it doesnt seem any smaller then the 650 except for the ant. it does seem tad lighter, but nothing to advertise as a selling point. i like palm os and that has me considering this phone, but the fact i would have to pay $40 for email and web...plus the $199,has me riding on the Dash bandwagon. 600 min plus the my favs and a $19/month data plan and the Dash for $99 will get me everything the 680 for $199 can on Cingular's for 1000 min.
    Where are you from, because I haven't been able to find any in Houston.
    How's the battery life with normal/excessive usage?
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    How's the battery life with normal/excessive usage?

I am a power user (road warrior). I have had mine since Tuesday, and my battery is settling in, which means I am getting roughly 3/4 the life of my 680 battery than I did from the 650 - perhaps I will get more life in the coming days. I ordered an additional battery from palm to tide me over until seido comes out with an extended battery (hopefully soon). I should be able to get a full day out of a battery, and have to charge every night, but I did with my 650 anyway, even when traveling. I have an iGo charger with the Treo charging tip, so I can charge my laptop, Treo, etc. at the same time.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    What do you use for an email client?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
    to me it doesnt seem any smaller then the 650 except for the ant. it does seem tad lighter, but nothing to advertise as a selling point. i like palm os and that has me considering this phone, but the fact i would have to pay $40 for email and web...plus the $199,has me riding on the Dash bandwagon. 600 min plus the my favs and a $19/month data plan and the Dash for $99 will get me everything the 680 for $199 can on Cingular's for 1000 min.
    If you actually use a 680 for some time, it is amazing how smaller and lighter it feels. It is deceiving, since it is not actually that much smaller, but the form factor change has made it much more of a pleasure to carry, without actually feeling that weight in your pocket. The web surfing experience is by far the best of any palm os device so far, with speeds exceeding 200 kbits/sec. Web sites load very fast, and the caching problems are a thing of the past.

I am now able to listen to music or streaming audio on ptunes deluxe, while I browse websites, check emails, etc, without the hiccups in the music that used to take place.

Having to use Goodlink, I was previously not able to use a lot of other third party programs that could not be run on SD, because of the lack of space on the 650 internal memory. I now have plenty of space for 3rd party apps with room to spare.

As I have said before, I truly believe that this is a true upgrade from my 650, and although I will look closely at the 750 when it come out, Now that I am seeing the browser speeds that I am with the 680, this may be the solution with which I stay. I have been loyal to the Palm OS since I bought the "Zoomer" at Radio Shack in the early 90's, and I never looked back.
    Rewards Network

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    What do you use for an email client?

I use Good Mobile Messaging (Goodlink) - or rather, my company uses it for all of our remote employees. I have personal email account now set up in Versamail, which is also much more stable than it was in the past.
    Rewards Network

Thanks for the information.

So in a day you are checkign email? Surfing the web? Calls? and playing mp3's in the background?

Could you provide a rough estimate of time/usage?

If it's not much trouble... lol

THANKS!!!
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    Thanks for the information.

So in a day you are checkign email? Surfing the web? Calls? and playing mp3's in the background?

Could you provide a rough estimate of time/usage?

If it's not much trouble... lol

THANKS!!!
    Yes, I am doing all of the above!!!
    I have not taken the 680 on the road yet. I got it last Tuesday (11/21), and it was a holiday week. I will be in OH, IN, KY, MI, PA this coming week, so I will REALLY get a chance to give it the same workout my 650 got on a regular basis. I never really calculated my daily useage, but in the last few days it has been 3 - 4 hours per day.
    Rewards Network

Matt,
    Where in Ohio are you? My local Cing store does not have any 680's.
    Metro areas had 680's in the store as early as Tuesday, with the latest being Wednsday night. I live in the Chicago area, so local Cingular stores had 100's of 680's in stock.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    Matt,
    Where in Ohio are you? My local Cing store does not have any 680's.

Columbus Metro Area. The store that I got mine on Tuesday (11/21) received two 680s, presumably for display and demonstration purposes, but I called beore they even unpacked thier shipment and talked them into selling me one before they even had one on display. I had been stopping in or calling almost every day, asking about the 680 and the 750, so I am sure they were happy to have some time without my bothering them. Now I will start asking about the 750 in a few days.
    Rewards Network

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMike View Post
    Metro areas had 680's in the store as early as Tuesday, with the latest being Wednsday night. I live in the Chicago area, so local Cingular stores had 100's of 680's in stock.
    Why do big cities always have to get the good stuff first? Baton Rouge gets everything before anyone else down in Louisiana, and I just had to move away.

Palm needs to speed up damit. I've been waiting to long. Everyone's been waiting too long. It's just a damn phone, why does it take so damn long to give UPS some boxes to send off?
    yes the 680 is nice - I think better than the 650 AND 700p.

wish the battery was better, web seems ok (fast enough)

earpiece volume is a little softer than 700p....I think I need Volumecare

a little confused though....lady at Cingular said the 680 had 3G compatibility and that Cingular had it in my area.....is this true? I live in CT.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    web seems ok (fast enough)

earpiece volume is a little softer than 700p....I think I need Volumecare
    Volumecare is ok.. everyone else uses it.

Did you happen to run a speed test?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    You may have 3G in your area, but the 680 doesn't support it. You'll need the 750 for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    Volumecare is ok.. everyone else uses it.

Did you happen to run a speed test?

Ran a speed test on mine several times over the last few days. Got speeds from 176 - 226 kbits/sec, which is a whole lot better than I EVER got on my 650, and I am just getting ready to change my DNS settings, which I am told could enhance performance even more. I am not sure how this compares to that of others who have already done this though.
    Rewards Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast