1.    #1  
    Having held out on getting a contract by using my unlocked 650 on Cingular, I broke down this afternoon and took the offer of $199.00 (with rebate) for the graphite 680 with a new two-year contract (no change in the plan I already had). My 650 had only worked with headset or speaker-phone for a long time after a particularly bad fall and I have been waiting to upgrade (as has everyone I call regularly who could barely understand me). I ordered today as soon as I saw the anouncement and according to CNG it is already shipping. Is this even possible? Hallelujah if so. There is a Fed Ex tracking # and everything. But on the Fed Ex site it says:

"Nov 24, 2006 8:14 PM

Package data transmitted to FedEx"

but no record of the package itself being received by them. If it is truly on the way, then I hope this bodes well for the 680 and me, as I have had a love/hate relationship with the 650 (went through 4) and the 600 (went through 8) and the 180 (went through 3). I thought after reading the Palm site today that it'd be at least a week before it even shipped. Keep your fingers crossed that it really is on the way! Anyone else getting this info from CNG?
    Last edited by Genetic Jack; 11/25/2006 at 12:07 AM. Reason: mis-spelled
    GSM Treo 680
    Cingular
    *MacBook Black
    OS X 10.4.9, Missing Sync 5.2
    if that's the case you're a very fortunate person.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Fedexs site updates usually at midnight...you will most likely get it Monday
    What data plan ($20 or $40 /month?) are you getting for that price?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  5.    #5  
    My data plan remains unchanged at $19.99 a month unlimited data, aprasad.

Update on the FedEx is that it was picked up this a.m. in Fort Worth, TX so you're right skyking- should get here Mon. Wow! Never had it so easy before. Still not counting on it yet as it all seems a little too easy but perhaps I'm jaded?

More news as it breaks.
    GSM Treo 680
    Cingular
    *MacBook Black
    How did you manage that? I thought that one had to get the $40/mo plan to get all the rebates to get the price down to $199 ...

Did you buy from
    Palm
    Cingular web site
    Cingular store ?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    i'd also like to know how you pulled off keeping the $20 plan....thats what I have and was going to order from palm (unlocked) in order to keep it. however, if I can get it from cingular and KEEP my $20 plan..........
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Someone mentioned that they had an option of getting it for $299 and could get an additional $100 rebate for switching to the $40/mo data plan. They chose to decline the extra $100 rebate to keep their existing $20/mo plan.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    jack,

why that avatar?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  10.    #10  
    Hmm...Maybe I got grandfathered into it?

I did the order online on the CNG site and there were no questions asked. I punched in my # and hit 'upgrade' and selected the 680 and that was it. I wondered too, but sure wasn't gonna question it when it happened. It still states it plainly in my online acct. manager that I have the 19.99 plan. Think they're gonna nail me?

As to my avatar, Felipe, let's say that it's me in an altered reality...
    GSM Treo 680
    Cingular
    *MacBook Black
    What name do they show for your data plan? Media Works? Media Net?

Login to your account on Cng site and see Rate Plan -> View Details

If you click Manage Features, you'll see a big list of Included Features.

I am grandfathered (Feb 2005) with the 19.95/mo Media Works (unlimited internet plus some included SMS and MMS, I forget how many..) and I see

MEdia Works $19.99
    Media Works-MMS $0.00
    MEdia Works-WIX $0.00
    Media Works-Txt Msg $0.00
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  12.    #12  
    Yep- that's it alright. I checked again and made sure that is still lists as $19.99 and it did. I'm thinking/hoping that might be a workaround/loophole to the 40.00 a month data plan requirement for the 680 purchase discount (if folks have no contract and a phone upgrade available to them).

And the FedEx site now says it has left Texas and is on it's way to me. NICE!

Like I said though, it all seems too good to be true...

We'll see.
    GSM Treo 680
    Cingular
    *MacBook Black
    I am still having 2nd thoughts about entering into a 2 yr contract with the 680. I's rather have the 3G POS Treo (if/when that comes out).

350 is working fine for me and 380 just adds more memory as far as I can tell...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic Jack View Post
    Yep- that's it alright. I checked again and made sure that is still lists as $19.99 and it did. I'm thinking/hoping that might be a workaround/loophole to the 40.00 a month data plan requirement for the 680 purchase discount (if folks have no contract and a phone upgrade available to them).

And the FedEx site now says it has left Texas and is on it's way to me. NICE!

Like I said though, it all seems too good to be true...

We'll see.
    You are able to keep a $19.99 plan...you WILL NOT be able to get the rebate. when you fill out your rebate form, they have to verify the $39.99 plan to qualify for the $100 rebate. That is why I worked with the store when I got my 680 on Tuesday to get in writing (signed by the store manger and Customer Service), that once my rebate is received, I can go back to my old $19.99 plan.

I am told, based on data useage, that Cingular will start forcing people to the higher plans sometime in '07, but right now it is not "Required" to have the 680...only to get the $100 rebate. If they told you you would get the rebate and keep the plan, I would hold them to it as much as possible, but the language in the rebate is very clear.

Good luck!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    You are able to keep a $19.99 plan...you WILL NOT be able to get the rebate. when you fill out your rebate form, they have to verify the $39.99 plan to qualify for the $100 rebate. That is why I worked with the store when I got my 680 on Tuesday to get in writing (signed by the store manger and Customer Service), that once my rebate is received, I can go back to my old $19.99 plan.

I am told, based on data useage, that Cingular will start forcing people to the higher plans sometime in '07, but right now it is not "Required" to have the 680...only to get the $100 rebate. If they told you you would get the rebate and keep the plan, I would hold them to it as much as possible, but the language in the rebate is very clear.

Good luck!!!
    Thanks Matt- yeah, I see what you're saying. I should've read the fine print! Not sure which way makes the most sense to go- rebate or increased data plan. I'll see if I can work a CSR into giving me the same promise you got but not a biggie if I don't as I still need a new phone regardless. My 650 is just too beat up at this point to work well as a phone. The 680 will still be a big improvement for me, even if it is a questionable upgrade, as the voice quality, added memory and better bluetooth (wish it was 2.0!) are all things I need badly. Now my 650 will get put to pasture as a GPS system!

I am still looking forward to it, even with this news. Let's see what Monday brings!
    GSM Treo 680
    Cingular
    *MacBook Black
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I am still having 2nd thoughts about entering into a 2 yr contract with the 680. I's rather have the 3G POS Treo (if/when that comes out).
    The Treo 680 isn't expensive enough to deserve a contract.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post

Good luck!!!
    The rumor that Cingular is going to force us all to pay $40 for data eventually has been going on for years. Hasn't happened yet.

With just about every other company offering unlimited for $20 or less, it makes no sense to charge $40. It shouldn't even be $20 at this point. Usually, after a couple of years, prices go down on a service that hasn't changed, not up. No wonder mobile data use is limited to a handful of geeks, instead of the masses.

It's the same reason why broadband DSL and Cable is taking so long to proliferate. They want way too much money for what the average user considers a luxury, not a necessity.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic Jack View Post
    Thanks Matt- yeah, I see what you're saying. I should've read the fine print! Not sure which way makes the most sense to go- rebate or increased data plan. I'll see if I can work a CSR into giving me the same promise you got but not a biggie if I don't as I still need a new phone regardless. My 650 is just too beat up at this point to work well as a phone. The 680 will still be a big improvement for me, even if it is a questionable upgrade, as the voice quality, added memory and better bluetooth (wish it was 2.0!) are all things I need badly. Now my 650 will get put to pasture as a GPS system!

I am still looking forward to it, even with this news. Let's see what Monday brings!
    No question about it!! I consider the 680 to be a major upgrade. with big improvements in voice quality, browsing (speed, quality, cache), memory, and form factor. I was thinking minor improvements, and I am realizing a device that I consider to be a huge step up!!!

Enjoy!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >