Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got this email this morning....It was headed with this. Anyone else get it??? and does this mean they are now shipping???

Now shipping—
    Palm® Treo™ 680 smartphone
    for Cingular Wireless
    I got the same email from Palm. $199 through Cingular.
  3.    #3  
    But my question is are they shipping??? Cause my order status still sais may take 1-2 weeks....hmmm!
    I got the email too
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    The press release stated they'd be available starting today from Cingular and Dec. 1st for unlocked phones.

Depends upon when you ordered and how many they had ready to ship.....check your order status at Palm if you ordered from the web site - it's pretty accurate.

I ordered the unlocked Graphite and it shows not shipping until Dec. 1st.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    The press release stated they'd be available starting today from Cingular and Dec. 1st for unlocked phones.

I think the press release said that they'd be available RETAIL starting December 1. It said they were taking preorders right now for both Cingular and unlocked over the web, but gave no specific date for availability. That's what I get from the language of the press release, which was no model of clarity.
    The email today directs the reader to an availability page which gives 1 to 2 weeks for both Cingular and unlocked phones.

And today's email, or at least mine, said "Now available -- Treo 680 plus exclusive offer!" Mine didn't say "now shipping," it said "now available" whatever that means.
    From the Cingular Release
    Pricing and Availability

The Treo 680 is available beginning Friday, Nov. 24, for as low as $199.99 to consumers and businesses nationwide at Cingular Wireless retail stores, www.cingular.com, select national retailers, through Cingular's B2B sales organization and at http://www.palm.com/treo680. A variety of monthly data plans are available, including an unlimited Cingular PDA Connect plan for $44.99 per month.

For a limited time, the Treo 680 will come with a music bundle from Yahoo!, which includes a 30-day free trial to its Yahoo! Music Unlimited To Go service and Yahoo! Music For Mobile. Users have the ability to access the Yahoo! Music Unlimited music library from the phone and to send tracks remotely to a PC.(6)
    From the Palm Release
    Pricing and Availability

The unlocked Treo 680 smartphone is $399 and is available for preorder today at http://www.palm.com. It will be available in Palm U.S. retail stores after Dec. 1.

Palm U.S. Retail Store Locations (www.palm.com/retail)
    There may not be enough inventory to go around but you are supposed to be able to buy one from Cingular - today from all of it's various portals. And the Palm retail stores starting Dec. 1st.

Bottom line - I agree - it's confusing to say the least.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    The $199 price is for new service.
    Existing customers pay $429.
    Got mine too. It looks as if you got it if you signed up to receive the Treo Newsletter. Has nothing to do if you already ordered one from Palm.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    From the Cingular Release

From the Palm Release

There may not be enough inventory to go around but you are supposed to be able to buy one from Cingular - today from all of it's various portals. And the Palm retail stores starting Dec. 1st.

Bottom line - I agree - it's confusing to say the least.
    BWAHAHAHA. 9 out of the 10 stores I called know DIDDLY about the phone.

I found ONE guy at ONE store (note: not one STORE..one GUY) that knew diddly about it. He had the scoop. Other people at the SAME FREAKIN STORE..knew squat.

This guy said he'd "put one aside for me" and supposedly had them in his hot little hands. Called back this AM to make sure it was still there, and another guy I talked to (first guy wasn't in yet, so I need to call back later) didn't even know that they were getting the 680 in. Frustrating, to say the LEAST!!

This is pretty much what I've found with every store I've called. Don't these guys know what's going on with the 680? I mean..duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Got mine too. It looks as if you got it if you signed up to receive the Treo Newsletter. Has nothing to do if you already ordered one from Palm.
    I'm not sure what you mean. I signed up for the Treo Newsletter and they announced that you could order, which means preorder according to their availability page. In fact, however, I ordered before I got the Newsletter but they're still not available--for 1 to 2 weeks, according to the availability page.

I don't see how you got one if they're not shipping. Did you get it from Cingular? I'm waiting for an unlocked one.
    I just spoke to a lady at cingular about my 11/20 order . She said that these are pre-orders and haven't been processed yet and wouldn't be till next week.
    O the horror !! so at least for palm orders I would plan on dec 3 or so and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.
    Here in North Texas - none of the local stores have any of the units. Don't expect them until at least Monday.
    Moose Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. I signed up for the Treo Newsletter and they announced that you could order, which means preorder according to their availability page. In fact, however, I ordered before I got the Newsletter but they're still not available--for 1 to 2 weeks, according to the availability page.

I don't see how you got one if they're not shipping. Did you get it from Cingular? I'm waiting for an unlocked one.
    I was just talking about the e-mail. I signed up to receive the newsletter and so did the wife. We both received the same e-mail. I ordered a 680 from Palm she didn't order anything. Was just trying to show that the e-mail everyone is receiving has nothing to do with the fact if you have a pending order in with Palm.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
  15.    #15  
    SOOOO my question still stands...Why would it say NOW SHIPPING, if in fact it is still 1-2 weeks away from shipping??? I will call Palm and complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyking517 View Post
    I will call Palm and complain.
    Of course you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. PooperScoop View Post
    Of course you will.
    And it will do no good.

The annoucement of "now shipping" is soooooo vague since it doesn't specify a specific date. This is normal etailer language to state they are taking orders and will ship when they are good and ready.

You might have a case if they bill your credit card and hold the "billing" for several days before actually shipping but there is nothing illegal about their tactics - which by the way have occurred before.

I ordered a T5 2 years ago and can attest that I ordered it before anyone else via the web - and it still took them over a week to ship.

Save your energy and see if your local store has it before Palm ships it and then just cancel the shipment. Shipping could infer that they are shipping it to the retailers etc.

Your complaint will not accelerate Palm at all.....and will only make you more angry at Palm then you already are?
    Moose Man
  18.    #18  
    Ok ok sooo I didnt call complain.....But thanks for letting me vent
  19. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Well, Dec 1st is only a week away anyway. Sooner would be better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyking517 View Post
    SOOOO my question still stands...Why would it say NOW SHIPPING, if in fact it is still 1-2 weeks away from shipping??? I will call Palm and complain.
    I think a marketing person came up with the phrase. "Now shipping" probably means from the manufacturer to Cingular's warehouse.
    ;-)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast