Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How do we get the Cingular network select hack to work on the 680?
    anybody?
    What IS the Cingular network select hack? Sounds very intriguing...
    GSM Treo 680
    Cingular
    *MacBook Black
    OS X 10.4.9, Missing Sync 5.2
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    This should work, try it out and let us know.

http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks...rk/howto.shtml
    Would I be correct in assuming you don't have a 64K ("orange") SIM? I used similar workarounds before getting my ENS-enabled SIM, but since then have never had any reason to manually select a network. Just curious since it's been so long since these were available...
  6.    #7  
    I like to select my own network for foreign travel and to use the TMO network in California.
    how is this hack helpful in any way?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    If you want to switch to another tower manually you can. With the current Cingular sim cards, they favor Cingular towers (even if they give fewer bars in your area). I personally find that I get better internet speeds when selecting the T-mobile tower when I'm at home.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by detzx View Post
    This should work, try it out and let us know.

http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks...rk/howto.shtml
    I tried this a while ago. First, the .prc file is different than the 650 (not even named the same).
    I then proceeded to find the string 1c 8b in any of the .prc files called Phone___. I did find it in the .prc called "PhoneMain-PmPm".
    After modifying the string from 1c 8b to 05 1a, I tried moving that file back to the Treo using FileZ. It won't even copy so I doubt that's the correct file (I don't think it was even an 'overlay' file). Worth a shot.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    OK, guys. I've been really busy and sadly I admit that I haven't looked much at the 680 files sent to me yet to see if I can hack it. But from first glance it doesn't look like an easy hack. Maybe if I get shadowmite's tools I can try to go through what we did the first time and figure out the menus and see if there's a hidden menu that can be restored. That is go back to square one.
    But just doing a hex edit on the overlay file won't work. They've change the phone app too much. That hex edit very specifically targets the build of that phone app on the 650 and won't work on the 680.

I'm sure it can be done. This is further complicated by the fact that I don't have a 680 and don't intend to get one. I'm moving over to WM5 myself. A couple of weeks with an 8525 and I can't wait to get my hands on the 750.

I will do all I can to try to help and hack this. Give me a few days to find the time to dig through this. If anyone wishes to help, go through the old Cingular network select hack thread from the beginning (which is what I'll be doing) and see if you can go through the process we went through back then to work on the 650.

I haven't given up, but give me a little time. Sorry for the delay.
    Regards...
    -Taylor (The one who hosts gadgetech.info )

PS. I will be efforting a hack for the Treo 750, but being that WM5 is completely different, it's neither going to be easy, nor do I know if it's even possible.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  11.    #12  
    Is there any hope of getting network selct enabled for the Treo 750v? I searched the xda forum but couldn't find anything.
    I don't know much about hacking the palm/treo but from reading about the previous method of hacking the 650, I wonder if it is possible to just copy the phone app from an unlocked 680 (which has the select network option) to a Cingular 680.
    Is this possible? Or just get a copy of each phone app, one from and unlocked 680 and one from a Cingular 680 and compare the hex?
    -Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by mmccomb View Post
    I don't know much about hacking the palm/treo but from reading about the previous method of hacking the 650, I wonder if it is possible to just copy the phone app from an unlocked 680 (which has the select network option) to a Cingular 680.
    Is this possible? Or just get a copy of each phone app, one from and unlocked 680 and one from a Cingular 680 and compare the hex?
    -Mark
    I have a CINGULAR branded Treo 650 which I reflashed using unlocked Treo 650 ROM. So I no longer have XpressMail and other stuff only found in Cingular Treo's.

Havent tried to the Treo 680 yet since flashing voids the warranty.
    Treo 180 > Treo270 > Treo 600 > reflashed CING Treo 650 & Treo 700p & Treo 680
    bump.. any word on this?
    Someone sent this to my contact email through my gadgetech.info site. He says it's for an unlocked/unbranded Treo. If anyone is brave enough to try it and see if it works.

DO A FULL BACK UP. If this doesn't work you could end up in a boot loop and have to hard-reset! This is by no means tested yet. I need a volunteer.
    I would recommend against trying this on a Cingular branded version at this point. I know with the 650 the ROW and CNG versions were not interchangable.

If this works on the "ROW" (unlocked Palm) then it shouldn't be hard to modify the Cingular version of the file. But I didn't get a conclusive answer from him as to if this was really working or not.

Someone care to try it (brave soul?) I don't have a 680 (yet.) But I might have one in a few weeks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried it yet?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Cingular network used to have 2 separate kinda towers before they completed the merging (w/ AT&T at that time). You could only switch b/t these 2 towers, but couldn't registered to t-mobile towers. Why? B/c Cingular doesn't allow the forced roaming. Hence, there is no benefit to hack the select network anymore.
    Treo Maniac?
    Just moved to 680 from 650.

Does the above file WORK? Has anyone tried it on a 680?

I need this to work, I have really bad reception on Cingular, but good with T-Mobile.
    NM...I just tried it. It WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast