Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It only works right after a reset before it settles on a network...good enough for me!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Chenling, where are you located and what good does it bring to you?

I thought Cingular SIM card is the only on the earth planet supressed the "select network" option.
    Treo Maniac?
    I am located in Irvine, CA. Where I live, a new construction area, the Cingular signal is REALLY bad. It borderlines NO SIGNAL and 1 bar.

But, if I choose the T-Mobile tower, I get 2 to 3 bars.

This hack doesn't work though...it only works right after a reset, and even if you choose the T-Mobile tower, it will bounce you back to the Cingular tower.

This doesn't happen with the 650 with this hack...it STAYS on the T-mobile tower. Granted, I get a lot of ROAMING calls on my Cingular statement, but they don't charge anything.

I wish this could work!

I have an Unlocked 680 by the way and it still doesn't work
    Last edited by chenling; 05/25/2007 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    It only works right after a reset before it settles on a network...good enough for me!
    Actually without the hack it usually displays the option, then when it gets the command from the Cingular SIM, it disables. At least that's how it works on the 600 and 650.

I got off my lazy but and tried looking at a phone_enUS.prc file.
    I used PRCedit from Shadowmite's web site and found this:

BEGIN
    TITLE "Select Network"
    LABEL "Search Bands:" ID 4507 AT (14 16) FONT 1
    POPUPTRIGGER "" ID 4508 AT (90 16 50 12) LEFTANCHOR FONT 0
    POPUPLIST ID 4508 4509
    LIST "Auto" "0/1800" "0/1900" ID 16757 AT (29807 57 12336 12081) NONUSABLE FONT 48
    LABEL "Manual network selection:" ID 4501 AT (14 32) FONT 1
    LIST ID 4503 AT (5 124 30 12) NONUSABLE DISABLED FONT 0
    BUTTON "OK" ID 4503 AT (5 124 30 12) LEFTANCHOR FONT 0
    BUTTON "Cancel" ID 4504 AT (41 124 34 12) LEFTANCHOR FONT 0
    BUTTON "Automatic Mode" ID 4505 AT (81 124 72 12) LEFTANCHOR FONT 0
    END

That thing I highlighted in red/bold looks intersting to me.
    This format that I'm looking at here is totally different than on the 600/650. I don't know if it's the version of prcedit I'm using or if they really did change things. Either way I think this 'disabled' can be somehow removed or changed to hack this file.
    I'll see if my wife will let me borrow her 680 long enough to experiment (GOD help me)
    I'm going to look around a little more and see if I can work the same magic on this that I did with the 600/650.

I'm basically going back to square one which is Post #76 on this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=87255&page=4
    And trying to do the same thing that mcand33 and others did which eventually resulted in my hex edit method (which is useless unless you know what bytes to edit.) But digging around with prcedit can possibly figure out those bytes.
    We'll see. I'll let you know more when I get a chance. No promises.
    taylorh,

Any luck on this yet?

Thanks!
    I liked having network select on my 650 (unlocked, branded) Cingular phone. Sure would be nice to get this on my shiny new 680 (also unlocked and branded).
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I have found that no hacks are necessary for this. If you turn the phone radio on and while it's searching for a signal, go into the menu under Options, and the Select Network option should be there. It might take a few tries before you get the hang of it, but it does work. If you miss that window, the Select Network option won't appear in the menu. Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PalmOS user since 1998. Treo user since 2006. WM user since 4/1/2009.
    PalmPilot Personal > PalmPilot Pro Upgrade > PalmIII Upgrade > PalmIII > PalmIIIx > Efig PalmV8 > Visor Prism > PalmVx > m515 > Tungsten T|3 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo755p > Treo700wx > Treo800w > TreoPro
    "Riding for the Son" <><
    Worked for me.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Wait... would a hack like this allow me to select AT&T's network when I have my T-Mobile SIM card in!?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by sportyrydr View Post
    I have found that no hacks are necessary for this. If you turn the phone radio on and while it's searching for a signal, go into the menu under Options, and the Select Network option should be there. It might take a few tries before you get the hang of it, but it does work. If you miss that window, the Select Network option won't appear in the menu. Good Luck!
    I'll try again, and again! But I cannot make this work. Not sure I can get to this pull down screen any faster than I'm currently doing it. I am getting to it before it "finds" the network.

Could it be the area you guys live in? I'm reaching here.... Pissed I can't make it work!! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by fishera View Post
    Wait... would a hack like this allow me to select AT&T's network when I have my T-Mobile SIM card in!?
    Yes. You would be able to select AT&T, but most likely you will not be able to actaully connect to the AT&T network.
    You can only connect to another network if they allow you to roam in that area, on that network. In more cases than not, roaming isn't allowed because you have a plan "with no roaming fees" and they don't want to pay for you to roam.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    oh snapz! well... its worth a try! anyone got it working from T-Mobile SIM? I see AT&T SIM's but no T-Mobile so far...
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12