1.    #1  
    I just received a promotionl email from Palm France where they offer me to preorder the Treo 680 unlocked version. It is offered on Palm's store http://eurostore.palm.com/ for 499 which is equivalent to $640 good American Dollars.

By the way, 500 euros is what the 650 was sold at. It seems that when Palm said they would release a cheap consumer Treo to address a new market segment, they were just saying so to make it sound like they were going to expand their market share to please Palm shareholders.

Compaired to the 650, the new 680 is neither more consumer friendly nor at a cheaper pricepoint. The 680 is actually just a 650 without the antenna and with a more usable size memory.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    It seems like they got lazy and didn't convert the currency from $ to €
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by u_m_rasmussen View Post
    It seems that when Palm said they would release a cheap consumer Treo to address a new market segment, they were just saying so to make it sound like they were going to expand their market share to please Palm shareholders.
    They said cheaper not cheap, big difference. In the UK at least the 680's price is about 100 less than the 650 was at launch so they are correct in saying it's cheaper. There are other differences between the 650 and 680 other than the loss of the antenna
    I will be getting mine from Expansys for 280 which is 49 cheaper than direct from Palm. Assuming Expansys stick to their pre-order price this will be the cheapest unlocked smartphone I have ever bought.

I also discovered that Palm direct charges significantly more for accessories as well eg. spare battery 37 vs 12.95 from Expansys. As always it pays to shop around.......
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I'm sure this is done on purpose so the retailers aren't in competition with Palm
    At that price, you might as well spend a bit more and get the 750v

[QUOTE=u_m_rasmussen;1131341]I just received a promotionl email from Palm France where they offer me to preorder the Treo 680 unlocked version. It is offered on Palm's store http://eurostore.palm.com/ for 499 which is equivalent to $640 good American Dollars.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v