1.    #1  
    There have been a lot of threads about different plans and how to beat the system, but I am thoroughly confused. Basically, I want to get a 680 at a discounted price, but I don't want to pay $40/month for the unlimited package.

Can anyone clarify?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Consider the TCO (total cost of ownership) here --

Option 1: Pay $400 and you can use a $20/month data plan on cingular (or perhaps a $5/month plan on TMO).

Option 2: Pay $200 and you'll get hit with a $40/month data plan.

After one year, Option 1 is a better deal, and after two years, you are ahead $280. Not to mention that with Option 1 you are free to leave at any time -- what if you have to move to a location with poor GSM signal and you have to switch to Verizon or Sprint?

Also, when it comes time to sell your phone, typically unlocked / unbranded phones are worth more.

Seems like a no-brainer to me -- get the unlocked version from Palm, unless you are a really short-term planner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xochi View Post
    Consider the TCO (total cost of ownership) here --

Option 2: Pay $200 and you'll get hit with a $40/month data plan.

After one year, Option 1 is a better deal, and after two years, you are ahead $280. Not to mention that with Option 1 you are free to leave at any time -- what if you have to move to a location with poor GSM signal and you have to switch to Verizon or Sprint?
    WHOA, Keemosabi! I'm confused. Are you saying that switching to Verizon or Sprint with the 680 will be possible someday (assuming an unlocked phone)? I thought the fact the 680 is GSM meant it WOULD NOT ever work on Sprint/Verizon, right?

Confused..

- PB
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    WHOA, Keemosabi! I'm confused. Are you saying that switching to Verizon or Sprint with the 680 will be possible someday (assuming an unlocked phone)? I thought the fact the 680 is GSM meant it WOULD NOT ever work on Sprint/Verizon, right?

Confused..

- PB
    No, you won't ever be able to use your 680 with Sprint or Verizon. But you WILL have to pay Cingular a hefty fee to leave before your two years are up. Within the next two years, you'll probably want a new phone, anyway. Or, as was suggested, if you move somewhere where you get a terrible GSM signal, you won't have much choice but to leave Cingular and go with Sprint or Verizon, regardless. Then you'd have to buy a new phone AND pay a penalty for leaving early.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The pros/cons of buying a locked phone:
    PRO - costs less up front
    CON - cingular may dictate which data plan you use (typically a more expensive one)
    CON - costs more in the long run
    CON - you are locked into a contract, which has an additional termination fee. This can be a problem if you need to switch carriers (e.g. if you move somewhere with poor service).
    CON - usually is worth less if you try to sell it on ebay
    I'll be new to Cingular - would it be possible to buy an unlocked 680 from Palm and then, as a new customer, joing Cingular as a month-to-month subscriber right off the bat?

On their web site there are only options for plans with 1 or 2 yr agreements - if I don't buy a phone form them, will I still have to sign a 1 or 2 year plan?
    I had a 650 w/ Sprint. I went through 3 treos due to unacceptable software issues which i returned at the local Sprint store each time.

Now on Cingy, and cant wait to give the 680 a shot! BUT, what if it needs to be returned? No Palm stores in Chicago.

Anyone experience Palm's customer service? Anyone else concerned with this?